1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bike to ebike as only transportation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I bet 90% of cyclists pay plenty of taxes, including gas tax for their motor vehicles. Plus bikes put zero wear and tear on the roads. Big trucks create potholes, not bikes.

RomanS and ozcal like this.
  2. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Some bicyclists are terrible, but not even worth mentioning compared to the scale and scope of ineptitude found with car drivers.
    And we absolutely refuse to ever do anything about that.
    We use our acceptance to justify other things. ("You're more likely to be killed in a car accident than...")
    I think it's amazing that there's a licensing process for car drivers, considering the result.
    There doesn't need to be one for bicyclists, because they are risking their own lives. Why don't you just license people to walk, because they're getting in the way of inept car drivers?

imwjl likes this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My luthier mate is really smart and built an E-Bike like a chopper, extended forks, just like Easy Rider and he wears a German soldier's helmet. Gets lots of beeps and laughs when he rides around on it. He just does it to relax and have a cool time checking out the candy at the beach.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know about that number but do know it's studied, and the infrastructure by me is valued by employers as much as by my family. My long time in appointed or elected positions that dealt with business, planning and recreation have showed the bike/ped infrastructure has rewards. The extensive path/trail network in the county requires some separate state, county, municipal and private fees. As far as what's collected and spent - it sure would be nice of streets and roads could be so simple and such a bargain.

The city with 259,000 residents in 550,000 metro area has these counters all over. At end of the days you see some with counts in the thousands, and IIRC, even with frozen winters the average use is 15,000+ commuters a day. With ice and snow still all over, it will jump soon.

As said in earlier post, we have a place where they built a bike/ped bridge as a gamble because they could not widen an already 8 lane (2 for turning) bridge. It gets up to 6000 cars off the crowded bridge in rush hour. It's a tourist attraction at other times. The latter is important income.

[​IMG]

5. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Not impossible for my Katana, my guitar would be on my back.

6. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

This will be a street cruiser, no trails.

JKPickin likes this.
  7. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

YES! It was always my intention to rent a car/truck when needed.

8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

You do that big guy, just don't run over me.
    By the way, I'm 67 and retired with sciatica.

You keep the economic privation and despotic rule all for yourself.

9. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

You have the perfect look in your avatar for your opinions.

10. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

KEEP POLITICS OUT PLEASE. IT'S AGAINST THE RULES. ALL THIS NEGATIVITY IS NOT GOOD FOR THE OVERALL SPIRIT OF THIS DISCUSSION.

imwjl likes this.
  11. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

What is your problem?

breadfreak likes this.
  12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

You did not describe how I will use mine. I don't disobey traffic law and I don't challenge then dodge them. If that's how you would drive an ebike then NEVER ride one please.

13. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

I love bicycles and riding is currently my preferred mode of exercise - but man i am liking those things more and more and have no doubt that i will get an e-bike in the not too-distant future - and especially one for my wife.

At under a 1000 that one in the OP is amazing.

14. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

TMI!!!

15. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

If bicyclist want equal rights on the highway plus special lanes they should be libel for their actions when they break the law, they need to have bicycle road licenses that will access points for traffic offenses and pay fines plus lose them for repeated offenses just like car drivers do lmo.

JuneauMike and Ironwolf like this.
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My apologies if I'm unaware of a state where bikes get a legal free for all or don't have regulation mostly same as other vehicles.

My states have pretty much same traffic laws for motorized and non-motorized vehicles, and as I said earlier, studies have shown a double standard about scofflaws behind the wheel vs on handlebars. There are states where motorcycles and bicycles have some exceptions for stop signs and stop lights. In my state for example some vehicles including have red light and stop sign exceptions that are beyond bikes. Ag, construction and motorcycles. Some states have rolling stop statutes.

Repeat offenders are treated same in my state but there's a myth or misunderstanding that it's not the case. My municipality and the one 300 feet away have officers assigned to bike enforcement. The same with flawed-thought individuals who whine about police them whine that adding that request from the public with its cost is too much governance.

You probably have a fight you'll not win on licensing. Harder to win with current politics where groups go after what could be called freedom or freedumb. At same time you have people who want little governance, and you have bicycles as transportation for people who cannot or should not drive an automobile but can achieve much aid to their independence with a bike.

ATVs and UTVs have a lot of public infrastructure and ability in my state to complicate what you wish. Their registration or permitting while a different tag is much like the tag to ride your bike on some of same public lands and byways. Their enthusiasts fight against it while asking for more. At same time some outdoor enthusiasts, ag interests and bike riders want more of the infrastructure that has a cost.

It's all further complicated by the history of the country. Rivers were and are highways too. Some places had far more private turnpikes than others. Some places like my state had huge costs to subsidize agriculture and built roads. In my state you can navigate any waterway a boat can float and set foot in that water. Not so in other states for more of the complicated stuff that is our transportation law.

Maybe Montana's different but the real problem of trying to cut ATV and UTV use problems and funding their damage brought out the industry and "freedom" lobbyists in a hurry. It became obvious that if you want more bike riders licensed, you'll have to have more more restrictions for other groups. Our other home is where there's a lot of ATV use, forestry and tourism. ATVs used like cars.

The real answer is get along and be careful about cognitive biases and gapminder scenarios.

17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Please explain.

18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I'm saying "that's you". I don't think it means anything. You're strong opinions about
    e-bikes are all you, and that's good. Be you.
    I'll be all me.

No right or wrong

19. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm. So it means nothing really, you were just trying to imply something but lack the courage to articulate it? By all means, you be you.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

the smell of urine is strong in here.

JuneauMike and StevesBoogie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.