1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bike to ebike as only transportation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

But @ASATKat didn't tell us we should all be doing it with religious fervor or all of us get rid of our cars. I got that it works well for him or her. I joined saying how it works well for me, and how no longer having my pickup trucks has worked so well.

I detected enthusiasm typical of this place for a lot of things. I didn't catch anyone telling you to change your lifestyle and I'm not sure you get at people who really love getting a Thinline vs fiesta red over an alder body.

ASATKat likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you should read it again. And really, who cares. Advocating for bikes is like preaching the benefits of raincoats. It's a simple machine, it does a simple thing.

3. imwjl

Too much work and a super cold February might are felt with some pants. I'm leaving an emergency page to the data center so I drove. My plan was get some fresh air instead of hear servers and network gear. With luck getting over winter weight starts this week.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got my bicycle serviced last summer in Alabama. Even here it’s too cold to ride. I live two miles from Publix. The road outside my neighborhood has a 50 mph speed limit and no shoulders. There’s no way I am riding to Publix. It would be a good way to die. I will stick with my truck or car.

6. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Keen recreational and commuting cyclist here. I've been on an e-bike and thought it was much nicer than I expected. I haven't bought one - in large part because I like the exercise that I get from being self-propelled.

I don't understand how 1. is a myth. The average cyclist puts out, probably less than 100W over any length of time and entry level e-bikes motors will put out 250W. I see people on e-bikes climbing grades that would be severe to impossible on a conventional bike, and there is little to no obvious effort.

So, if it's a fun way to be out in the open air, I get that. If it's a sustainable means of clocking up a mileage that you couldn't manage without power assist, I get that too. I dig cargo bikes. But in terms of exercise benefit, even a conventional bike could end up less of a workout than just going for a walk. Right now, I'm fairly persuaded that if I bought an e-bike 3 things would happen. I'd enjoy riding it, I'd ride it a lot, and I'd end up less fit.

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I also like the exercise I get on a "real" bike. Frankly I think I can use all the exercise I can get at 53. My Father at 78 and my brother at 55 both use e-bikes. My brother commutes to work on his. I always thought his commuting distance would be like 25 km, but I looked it up – it's just 11 km. LOL. I guess it's still better for him and the environment than driving by car.

tattypicker likes this.
  8. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Yep. A lot depends on the local circumstances, and I don't want to tell anyone else what to do. But I remember my grandfather who never had a car, and got around the small-ish town where he lived by bike or on foot. He would not have considered himself a recreational cyclist or any sort of athlete - but he was lean and active his whole life. I'd like to emulate that.

ASATKat, getbent and imwjl like this.
  9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I get passed every (dry) day by one of these as I pedal my traditional bicycle to work. We are both commuting, but it seems Mr. Electric drives his car when it rains. Not me, though. Mama Roadie never taught anyone to come in out of the rain. Besides, we bought my bike to avoid owning a second car. Rain gear is so much cheaper than auto insurance & fuel.

Congrats on the new ride. :)

10. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

I've looked into it further. The Lectric ebikes are absolutely made overseas. Appears to be China. The bike probably only cost you under a grand. That says a lot about where it's made. The Detroit Bikes that are actually make in Detroit cost over a grand for regular old-style bikes.

11. imwjl

The Shinola bikes are welded and painted in WI by Waterford who is Richard Schwinn from that famed bike family. They're designed by the woman "Sky" my childhood back yard neighbor and part of why I've enjoyed bikes as long as I can remember.

Other personal friends are engineers, product managers, warranty admin or designers for the Trek and Harley Davidson e-assist bikes. The off-road capable ones are often tested on the trails I build and manage.

Most of the e-assist bikes use OEM drivetrains from makers many should recognize such as Bosch, Yamaha and Shimano. My friends who work in this at scale have me very much convinced that I'd only own one of the first tier products in terms of reliability and support. The better bikes are also designed and tested by incredibly skilled and experienced riders.

ASATKat and getbent like this.
  12. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Yeah, there's no respect for bicyclists on the road here in east TN...... I've hardly ridden since we moved down here, between that issue and assorted health issues.....but I do have my trusty old Trek Fuel tuned up and ready to roll hopefully soon. We have a local greenbelt through town that's a pleasant ride, but you take your life in your hands riding there (and I hate having to put the bike in the car to drive somewhere to go for a ride).....and I much prefer xc mountainbiking, and there are trails here, but am definitely not in the shape I need to be for those....yet ;)

eBikes are pretty cool, I could see one in my future, perhaps.

13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Bafang in China is one of the biggest e-bike motor manufacturers.

It’s funny how a lot of people who think bicycle commuting is not feasible end up doing it when they get a DUI and have their driver’s license suspended. Also sad how drivers will slow for a tractor or bulldozer on the road until safe to pass, but get upset when they need to do the same for cyclists. Ironically many of the first paved roads were built due to lobbying by the League of American Bicyclists back in the day.

davidchagrin likes this.
  14. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

No real problem with most cyclists. I ride for leisure myself, when the weather is good. However, the lack of traffic discipline and actual arrogance displayed by many is more than a little irksome, and contributes immensely to the blow back that they get. Not to mention the number that are killed or seriously injured while disobeying traffic control signals and dodging through intersections. The best solution to the problem I have heard from our lawmakers is to require bicyclists to be licensed and insured the same way as drivers and motorcyclists.

15. imwjl

The perception issue has become very interesting by our main home because who uses bikes or commutes has crossed some boundaries or stereotypes. 3/6 municipalities in the 550,000 metro area are now long into better planning. In two corridors bike/ped infrastructure gets treated and with same priority as cars - plowed all winter. The bike/ped traffic counters show it's 4000 - 6000 cars per day off the roads parallel to them. In one case it was part solution to not being able to widen a bridge beyond 6 lanes for cars.

Still, some treat it as absolutely tribal or very parochial behavior. Some really good employers treat it as part of why they are here and invest in the area. Our recently retired police chief became a bike commuter and I heard a story that someone regretted their inane behavior behind the wheel not knowing it was the pretty much always on duty police chief.

It is really hard to make the progress but also interesting when you fight the parochial or tribal behavior. Our community within the metro area has some good bike/ped corridors and one we have a relatively new world HQ for an international brand most know. It's a place where many are moving and want to move here. It's kind of funny when the reactionaries always screaming business and freedom get made silly when it gets obvious the good planning and infrastructure are good business and freedom..

16. imwjl

My city did a study because really good employers and changing demographics wanted to continue the path of good planning. I wonder if what you see is same and you're ignoring the discovery. It was just like driving automobiles where only a minority are scofflaws, but automobile drivers were more prone to ignore or accept the bad amongst them.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

This îs me arriving back home from a stroll. I just do not see an e-bike in my future. IMG_2846.JPG

18. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've been using a ebike, a regular bike I converted with a front hub motor hub, for about 6-7 years. Where I live you can ride bikes year-round, and we have bike paths on the beach and all over town. However mine won't go over 15 miles an hour, and I always pedal and just use it against the wind or to get around groups of people etc.

But now because many people have bikes that will go up to 30 miles an hour, and many of them don't even have pedals, they're becoming a nuisance and danger to pedestrians, and other bikers, and the city is starting to crack down. Along our city beach they are probably going to ban all e-bikes soon because of the idiots that speed on them.

So we'll see what happens, but I knew this was going to be an issue with people that abuse their privileges.

19. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My city has been spending millions putting in bike lanes and paths over the last 30 years or so, and the number of cyclists has gone up. However, one study found the number of cyclists per mile of road with paths or lanes was less than 1% the number of motor vehicles. Not a really good return on investment.

JuneauMike likes this.
  20. imwjl

I get it. It's really obvious you're just grooming trail for your fat bike and you've long shown us your preference for human powered and basic stuff.

[​IMG]

Sidney Vicious and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.