1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bike to ebike as only transportation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

Yeah, agreed. I wouldn't tell my dad to sell his work van. But I would tell my politicians to build a future where fewer and fewer people need to use a van to work, or a car to send their kids to school. All the parameters can change with time. But they won't if people keep insisting that a bicycle is nothing more than "a fun hobby."

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

So I guess I won't be admitted to the booster club afterall? Darn.

booster.jpg

Not a small point and it bears stating: Politicians don't build our future. We do. Your dad in that work van, as an example. Not some windbag opportunist with a new suit and the same old tired tropes. ;)

3. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

Well done! Goodbye and be sure to watch out for that yellow snow.

JuneauMike likes this.
  4. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

ah it serves me right for feeding the trolls... way to spoil a perfectly good thread

5. JuneauMike

Seeing things from a different perspective is not trolling. Just like virtue signaling is not the same thing as having a stimulating conversation about an important topic.

Just because bicycles work great in some parts of LA doesn't mean they are the solution in North Dakota. If you ride your bike to work, good for you. If you don't, that's ok too.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I grew up racing track bikes which basically meant throwing a bike on the roof and driving an hour each way 4-5 times a week to the velodrome. But I still think it was good for me. No brakes = no panic braking!

7. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Indeed a fun hobby for many and practical transportation for many. My riding is not really a hobby as much as split between practical and sport. I disclosed that it's not practical for some.

People I know who take cycling as religion or tribal are just as goofy as the ones I know who are that way about their Harleys, guns or guitar brands. I confess to being dismissive of both, and only promoting cycling in ways that make sense.

I know some who will joke what I believe is technically the Permanent Fund and their well being subsidized by it, and I also mean the overall well being of the area. They point out the biases from that just like some industries and farming get a lot of support in my state.

Your aim or stereotype might be wrong if you I'm at a political extreme unless there's such a thing as a staunch moderate. I was considered conservative over 6 years on a city council committee. I'm actually a director of a place with a shooting range and then I get called something else for being reasonable.

There's no doubt I have some bias because my employer and where I'm a board member at shooting range site both give a lot of effort for two groups that include PSTD vets and people with learning disabilities. In our metro area the bicycle has been an amazing tool for their independence - not just works well for my up to 11 mile utility trips.

JuneauMike likes this.
  8. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

So you do get it.

Yep but no. You are trolling!

9. JuneauMike

I'm not trolling. You are just not making compelling points. Take the "L" dude, it's fine.

10. imwjl

You are trolling unless I missed something here. I'm not reading this as imposing bikes as life style or religion. At least I've said they work really well in places like our main home and lots of places but not so well by our other home characterized by rural and right now under a few feet of snow.

11. imwjl

Indeed a fun hobby for many and practical transportation for many. My riding is not really a hobby as much as split between practical and sport. I disclosed that it's not practical for some.

People I know who take cycling as religion or tribal are just as goofy as the ones I know who are that way about their Harleys, guns or guitar brands. I confess to being dismissive of both, and only promoting cycling in ways that make sense.

12. JuneauMike

It's literally in the title of the thread. Followed by numerous posts extolling the virtues of using bikes for all your travel.

If you don't detect any religious fervor then maybe take note of how they treat anyone who doesn't see a bike as a practical transportation method (Namely, me.) It's not like we're talking about mandolins or anything that important. They're bicycles. LOL.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I knew nothing about them....looked it up. Two friends from Minnesota ended up in .Arizona...one with a business degree while the other is a mechanical engineer. The company is based in Arizona. Made in Asia parts.....what isn’t, right????
    Not my cup of tea. I ride a bicycle almost daily....I am the ‘motor’. The docs say it is good for the health to pedal. I ride hard surfaces in a flat land. I don’t care for super high rolling resistance such as those 4” tires present. I also don’t like small diameter wheels that don’t have a lot of stability...gyro effect is less than a larger diameter wheel. That said, I did buy a little foldable bike just for grins....and it has fenders so it is good for riding in the rain. I paid $35 at a garage sale. Three speed Sturmey Archer rear end...l8ke my big bikes.
    If I want a motor, I burn fossil fuel in the Harley you see to the left. I am riding it this afternoon. I rode the cruiser bicycle this morning.
    Life....with a grin or two. Enjoy....

JuneauMike likes this.
  14. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought I might be the odd one out - but it seems there are a few of us...
    I was 70 a couple of years ago. The Civic was not not going to pass it's yearly MOT certification this time (it was 22 years old, and that's asking a lot, even for a Honda Civic!) ... frankly I wasn't using it that much anyway. So I just got rid of it. I haven't missed driving at all - I seem to have a lot more spare cash around now as well - I do have a bike, but really I prefer to walk whenever I can (everywhere is a lot closer than it is in the USA :0)

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

hey, while the others bicker about one thing when it is really another...

Thanks for the thread! I watched video, those bikes are pretty sweet! My brother gave me a scooter (buddy i700) he didn't want (it is new and perfect) I am going to sell it and get two of those bikes! they will be lots of fun around here and in the mtns! THANKS!

P Thought likes this.
  16. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I've used motorcycles and bicycles as my only transportation most of my adult life. It's great. I still don't own a car, but I do drive my wife's occasionally. I like the e-bikes too. There is starting to be a fluid continuum between electric motorcycles and e-assist bicycles, and I think great solutions will come of it.

getbent likes this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I might groove on one of those if I lived in town. We're less than two miles out, but the diesel pickup (I love mine) is the Oregon state bird. I'd end up being a grille ornament on an F-350.

Wally and getbent like this.
  18. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

From what I've read, Lectric bikes are manufactured in China.

hemmings and getbent like this.
  19. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

The worst thing about working from home is not cycling in anymore. My weight has gone right up so I need to get back on the bike soon.

getbent likes this.
  20. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

No, Texas, but they get their parts from? China? I just don't know. China has been doing real good in the ebike and scooter dept. And they have their biz in the US. It's an extension of the main company in china.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.