1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bike to ebike as only transportation

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Ah, so you do laugh at them.

I agree, an e-assist bike would definitely be a game changer. Especially if the game is to go to Home Depot and get some dimensional lumber. That game would totally be changed.

P Thought likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Another advantage of the better e-bikes is the will do 25 mph. Mine will do 30. This means you can actually go with the flow of traffic when riding on typical city streets, especially during rush hour, which vastly improves safety. When you're toodling along at 12 or 15 mph and every car is trying to pass you it's actually more dangerous.

When I mentioned bike messenger chops that's about 90% of it-- going fast enough so that you are actually going at the speed of traffic (or faster). You're passing them as they are stuck in traffic rather than them passing you. If a mistake is made it's going to be you running into them rather than them running into you....except at intersections where a super sharp eye and readiness to make an evasive maneuver is always paramount. But it's more akin to motorcycle riding than bicycling at that point.

3. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

They work well on pavement but if your commute is on gravel in the wet it can wear out the drivetrain and brakes very quickly...even if you perform daily maintenance. I had a mid-drive Specialized Turbo Vado that I wore out in two weeks on 40mi return commute with the power on the lowest setting. 80% of that was on gravel. Bike shop took it back for a 100% refund. I did enjoy riding it though.

ASATKat and Laxy picker like this.
  4. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

The thieves round my parts like em.
    I guess they don’t like the effort involved in pedalling or sell them off to the vast food delivery cavalry.

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

I think you need to open your mind and stop looking for the negative viewpoint. I don't know why you're so negative. Maybe you don't have the motor skill to ride a bike, you're scared, and or lack imagination.

In lots of countries people use bikes to transport stuff. I've transported lumber, ladders, furniture, amps, tv's, other bikes, girlfriends, my cat, guitars and of course cases of beer.

If all fails you can always lend or rent a car to move bulky stuff.

ASATKat, RomanS, hemmings and 2 others like this.
  6. JuneauMike

And I think you need to unload your biases to realize that practical applications of transportation methods have developed over time because they work. The ones that don't work always need a booster club.

Riding a bike is fun. It is a fun hobby. The only things that has ever make it an important mode of transport are economic privation or despotic rule. No thanks, I'll continue driving to work in my pickup truck, and occasionally enjoy bike rides on the weekend.

7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

The wife and I managed to drive 42 kms today.
    As long as there is no ice or rain we love to go e-bike riding !
    We have two Cube trekking bikes with Bosch active line crank engines. 500w in frame batteries , mine will do 165-180 kms per charge n the lowest setting.
    And believe me , you will get a sweaty back , and a nice workout !

8. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Mrs. German bought a nice e-bike to commute to work last spring. Figured she could get used to it over the summer, while working from home, then commute when she went back to the office in fall. Got laid off.

Oh well, it was a great idea... (I may use it to commute, if she’ll let me.)

9. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

You're forgetting traffic jams, scarce parking spaces, health and climate change. There are good reasons for people to choose a bike over a car. I live in a country with more bikes than people and it's not a poor country. Times are changing and with the e-bike more and more people commute with e-bikes because it's healthy, practical, cheap and good for the environment.

ASATKat, RomanS, hemmings and 5 others like this.
  10. JuneauMike

Look at all these happy people enjoying getting healthy and trim while they bike to work free of traffic jams and climate change badness. You can tell they are happy because someone in uniform told them to smile and they did.

Totally happy people.

So much happiness.

traffic.jpg

sax4blues likes this.
  11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Those look like scooters to me , LOL
    I have no idea about sales figures this year , but in 2018 1 million e bikes were sold in Germany.
    2020 and now must be a new record , EVERYTHING is sold out and backordered !

RomanS likes this.
  12. JuneauMike

Think of them as E-scooters (where E = gasoline). I'd guess the bikes are in the back so they don't get run over. ;)

13. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I will agree about the cargo issue. It takes a lot longer to unpack a truck load of biases than a bike load.

RomanS and Len058 like this.
  14. JuneauMike

Yep, and you can even promise "two day shipping" as well. Bicycle biases have to endure the weather and the physical rigors of getting nowhere at slow speeds carrying next to nothing. It could take several trips.

I think I'll continue to enjoy my biases in climate controlled comfort. I can even listen to the radio. :cool:

funy.jpg

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I really doubt anyone who does that often would be using a bicycle. Since going from a pickup truck to a car and diesel UTV I've actually biked and driven a car or our van to rent a pickup, cargo van or trailer for as little as $20. Where I live and several associates live Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and independents have those options.

Honestly, this might be one where someone has to try it, but for 16 years with a wagon, van and van utilitarian bike I spend $0 to maybe $350 a year renting and I do projects that need dimensional lumber. The "$19 for 90 minutes" often works. It is kind of like learning an instrument, or a diet or fitness challenge where you commit to change but get rewards.

As a matter of fact this morning I had to make a 50 one way trip I used to do often with my F250 and SUV mostly hauling air - so much nicer in a great car. Chatting with a Tesla owning friend on the way back was a reminder he didn't have to waste time at a gas station yet today.

My unassisted bike commutes to my main work sites take a total of 15 to at times 30 minutes longer. That's solid exercise I can't get in my car. Not being fit just helped kill a friend from my college dorm floor. Being a sexagenarian in size 32 pants, I'm becoming shocked by the differences you get in a more sagacious life style. My idea with these e-assist is I could carry more and cut the time or add distance still getting exercise.

It would be harder to make the life style change if our second home was main home but living at edge of a 550,000 people metro area new thinking on transportation makes sense. That includes independence. I'm 2 mi from a solar farm, 6 mi from a wind farm, 1000 miles or more from oil or natural gas.

16. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

B.S.

So a bike's not the right choice for your uses and circumstances, that doesn't mean it's not the right choice for everyone else too

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You have some sort of a bias or information gap. Cycling became huge in my area across demographics, and part to solve practical problems. There are a few corridors where it solved no decent way to address limited space for cars. The want to do it crossed typical political affiliations. It won't work in all places but it sure works well where you have more population or an older city with geographical challenges for cars.

If you indeed live in Alaska you might not be in a place where bicycles make as much sense for a few reasons including same as by our other home. Alaska is also a sort of different from the oil welfare. Maybe you don't see there as much as some places that huge growth in cycling in practical transportation.

RomanS likes this.
  18. JuneauMike

It is a fun choice. I enjoy cycling with my kids. It gets a bit more dicey when "enthusiasts" insist that everyone conform to this "lifestyle" for the good of the planet. They often gloss over the neighbor with stage four cancer or how a pulled hamstring can suddenly be economically debilitating for that single mother, or how to build a functional transportation network from it in rural areas where school is 20 miles to the west, and the shopping center is 20 miles to the east, etc.

But bicycling is definitely a fun hobby.

Skub likes this.
  19. JuneauMike

Exactly what is oil welfare? Is that when you take oil royalties and "invest" them in wind power to help it pencil out? Or is it the oil you use to run backup generators when solar power won't give enough energy? Sorry, not familiar with the concept of "oil welfare."

20. JuneauMike

... and vice versa. :twisted:

kLyon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.