Bigsby

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by lilspanisheddie, Jul 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie TDPRI Member

I am starting a build for my brother who has a bigsby fetish. I know there are kits you can by to install on a guitar but I was curious what I have to do differently when building a tele style guitar to accommodate one. The body might be an offset body like a mustang/jag body will that be a problem? I haven't really statred looking at these yet would the B5 bigsby be the one to buy?

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, sir.
    Buy the whole thing though. Some of it's parts are sold separately but you want the whole assembly Tele bridge plate and all. Don't just get the arm and then jerry rig a tune-o-matic or mod a tele bridge to take the strings IMHO it's way easier to get the Bigsby's setup. Good luck!

3. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Seconded. Unless your bro is dead set on having a humbucker or something at the bridge, in which case you won't have a choice.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pictures :)

DrASATele likes this.
  4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks I was starting to question whether or not I was talking about the right Bigsby!

5. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

In 1975, I bought a used Telecaster with factory Bigsby. Had an F on it rather than the Bigsby logo, had no string - through ferules or holes. had a pretty odd bridge plate, and a GREAT playing and very low action.I believe it was made in 1971 or so. Maple neck and finger board, and fine tone, but not very loud...it's one of the few guitars I really regret selling.
    The guitar pictured is not like mine, but the Bigsby and bridge plate are the same type...

http://www.webuyguitars.org/store/proddetail.php?prod=f12t5008

6. smile-4-me

smile-4-me Tele-Meister

image.jpeg I made my own bridge for a tele with a bigsby. Buying the whole set up ready to screw in place is much easier/faster.

R. Stratenstein and BorderRadio like this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There are many ways to skin a cat. I'm a Bigsby fan: the best feeling and responsive action I find are on B3 and B6s with solid bar bridges, IMHO. I'm doing a B16 Tele build this year for that reason. If you decide to go B5/F-style, then you DO have a choice in saddle styles, and you'll need to plan on drilling holes for the Jazzmaster-style bridge thimbles or getting a 4-hole modified vintage style bridge. I went B5/vintage-style for one of mine--it requires some handiwork (or additional parts costs).

The other alternative is B16, and you'll also need to consider the fact those are designed to use a Tele bridge pup. They also require a thick, metal neck shim and floating bridge. I'm chopping my B16 (removing the Tele pup section) so I can use a non-Tele bridge pup--another can of worms. I'm also using a floating Tru-Arc solid-bar aluminum bridge---I'm not worried the bridge will fall off every time I do a string change, but even that can be solved with a pinned bridge...just food for thought.

The body shape will probably only matter with a B16, as the offset curve at the base of the guitar will pose an extra challenge to mount a square-shaped B16.

RomanS likes this.
  8. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie TDPRI Member

As always, thanks for the advice and feed back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.