1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bigsby

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jacob, Apr 25, 2010.

1. jacob

jacob TDPRI Member

Hey.

I've got a Bigsby floating around and I'm tossing up with maybe installing this on my Tele.

Any opinions?

Also, what else will I need? A new bridge?

2. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Tele that came with a Bigsby, and it's great. But I've never ADDED one.

How do you feel about drilling holes into your Tele???

3. JPanichella

JPanichella Tele-Meister

4. jacob

jacob TDPRI Member

Yeah, drilling into the tele is what I'm nervous about.
    I wouldn't do it myself but still. Once theres holes in it, there's not really any going back.

That threads great...
    thanks heaps.

5. Superc_1

Superc_1 Tele-Meister

Buy a body and drill it. and save your orginal body?

6. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Tele-Afflicted

Go for it!

7. jonnyjonjon

jonnyjonjon TDPRI Member

what kind of tele is it? I just did it to mine and honestly it was really easy. There is a really helpful video on you tube telling you exactly how to do it. But it sort of is one of those things you can't go back on considering you're drilling holes into your guitar. But on the other hand it looks wicked badass.

8. charliebrown

charliebrown Tele-Meister

If it's not a real collectible Tele, you can go back...you'll just have the holes in your guitar. I've seen a few Les Pauls that had Bigsbys and had them removed and the stop tailpiece installed/reinstalled. The holes are there, but they play fine. My Tele had a few chips in the finish when I bought it. If I were ever to remove the Bigsby, it would get a refinish. It's only been a week since I installed mine and I can't see any reason regarding tone or sustain or tuning issues to remove it. YOU have to decide if you want to have holes drilled in your baby - I understand the reluctance to do it.;) Good luck.

9. Fatherflot

Fatherflot TDPRI Member

I got really tired of the setup I had previously, with a tune-o-matic bridge and a shimmed neck. I just got a new body and used this special bridge, which lets the strings pass out the back to the Bigsby.

http://www.zzguitarworks.com/servlet/the-105/guitar-telecaster-bridge-assembly/Detail

You can also make something like this by taking an old-fashioned three barrel bridge and cutting or grinding holes in the back to let the strings pass through.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.