1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bigsby V7 ruined my Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Dann B, Apr 24, 2019.

1. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

Les Paul didn’t use a vibramate!
    But then again, i don’t think he worried about resale value. 57107346-7D89-4EC5-A413-2F1CA7DE4C60.jpeg

2. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

It's already happened.
    Don't sweat it. You're in good company
    [​IMG]

Dann B, awasson and bender66 like this.
  3. Dann B

Dann B TDPRI Member

Looks like they were needed, tho i didnt receive spacers or instructions with my kit. Lesson learned. Its not terrible, just a shame

4. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

If the wood was not really drilled, but just dented, maybe you could repair it with a little water and a solder iron... the old and good steam method...

And them, shorter screws...

Alamo likes this.
  5. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

Did this recently with a different guitar...

It's actually flat, it's just that my soldering iron was left on too long and left burn marks. 20190225_075640.jpg 20190225_093825.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

AAT65 and jimash like this.
  6. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it's a risky operation. You have to apply the iron for a short momment, using a wet rag to prevent direct contact with the wood.

Or use a hair straightener, that offers the right amount of heat with no risk of burn the wood. I've bought a cheap one and disassembled it to get just one side, now it's possible to press it against wood surface.

7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Ruined is overstated.
    I understand where you are coming from and I feel your pain, but it ain't ruined.

G.Rotten likes this.
  8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG] So...... I realize this will not help the OP at this point but for those thinking about putting a Bigsby on I'll show you mine. 20190427_183638.jpg 20190427_183718.jpg This is currently installed on a Fibson however I've had it on 2 other Gibson Les Paul's. The screws are only at the front of the typical LP Bigsby because of the down pressure roller. That roller is not necessary on the majority of LPs. On this guitar you can see there is barely any break angle but even with heavy power chords the string has enough pressure to stay in the saddle. And this saddle isn't even as deep as a normal T.O.M. saddle.

On this one I hand made a new bracket but the Korean versions already have a similar bracket. You can order the bracket only online though I can't confirm it will fit the U.S. version I believe it might.

I find actually using the down pressure roller creates tuning issues by severely bending the string & makes the action of the whole unit more stiff/less natural.

On units I've bought in the past (or were already on) I just ran the strings over the tension roller.

Picture 512.jpg

This was my legit 88 Les Paul Custom with a Korean made Bigsby. Never drilled any holes, never left any marks, never had Bigsby performance issues.

The tension roller & therefore the Vibramate are unnecessary. The strap button adaptor plate is all that's needed.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/hinge-bigsbygretsch-polished-b700-0

https://reverb.com/ca/item/16437937...h0a6AqVEAQYBiABEgImivD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

Here's YouTube link to another dude who doesn't believe in the down pressure roller.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    bender66 likes this.
  9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Bigsbys and LPs are soul mates. Actually, I just really like Bigsbys.

10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Saddly, the Vibramate was not needed & IMO the B7 is not the correct Bigsby for a Les Paul. See my post below.

11. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You are certainly free to do whatever you wish to your Les Pauls! :lol:

And clearly, there are many differing views on such things. Fortunately, we're each able to exercise our personal preferences with guitars. :)

G.Rotten likes this.
  12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

How boring would life be if we all liked/did the same stuff?

13. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dull, I would imagine, but it's not anything that I've worried about, honestly.

We're living in the golden age for guitarists right now. There are seemingly endless variations in the world of guitars, to satisfy pretty much everyone, I would think. And, I never miss an opportunity to tweak and mod my guitars to personal taste! It's all about what you like, for your guitars. No rules need be followed, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    G.Rotten likes this.
  14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Your Bigsby is only mounted by the strap pin? It doesn't shift?

It must be exhausting being Scott Grove, being right all the time. Love the free association run on narrative.

G.Rotten likes this.
  15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Nope, stays put just fine.

16. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I put a strap button pad or something else under the bracket to keep the Bigbsy from putting too much direct pressure on the wood.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.