Bigsby to Hipshot conversion?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by kranz, Apr 23, 2008.

1. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister

I will soon have my hands on a F-logo Bigsby equipped Tele. I was really just interested in the neck on this guitar and am not keen on having a Bigsby. So, I considered parting it out. But that would leave me with a Tele body with some unsightly holes.

So, it occurred to me that I might convert the guitar to a bender Tele using a Hipshot bender. I could keep the Bigsby bridge in place. Then remove the Bigsby tailpiece and replace it with a Hipshot. The Hipshot mounting plate would likely cover the holes from the Bigsby tailpiece. And I'd wind up with a bender Tele. In the future, I could put the Bigsby back if I so chose.

So I have the following questions:

1) Would this indeed work technically? Is the Bigsby bridge compatible with the Hipshot?
    2) What kind of tonal differences might I get from a Bigsby bridge as opposed to the traditional 3 saddle Tele bridge? Is the Hipshot better suited to a 3 saddle bridge?
    3) Has anyone else tried this experiment and have some wisdom to share?

thanks!

2. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister

Well, it just dawned on me that without the B tailpiece, I'd have no place to anchor the strings. Perhaps this won't work after all.

3. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

It would make more sense to convert it to Bigsby palm pedals..

4. telesavant

telesavant Tele-Holic

Agreed...keep the "original" mojo. I'd add...cut the Bigsby levers back so they are just behind the bridge...easy mod..I'd even go one step further, and hinge the "G" lever, so as to give complete access to the "b" lever, when needed...and it WILL be needed.

5. kranz

kranz Tele-Meister

Palm pedals it is!! Thanks, guys for good advice.

6. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Kranz......would this work?

I'm not sure what exactly the bridge on your guitar looks like but couldn't you use one of those bridge/tailpiece combination units such as what's on a Les Paul Jr? The Stewart/MacDonald catalog has several variations, some with adjustable pole pieces and some without. If one of 'em would work on your guitar then a HipShot would be an option...........JH in Va.

7. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

The if you have a Bigsby on your guitar now, the bridge your using should work fine with the palm pedal.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.