1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

bigsby squeaky very

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by thexplode7, Jan 26, 2021.

1. thexplode7

thexplode7 TDPRI Member

The bigsby. Damn. So much problems it has given me. First it gave me tunning problems then now it gives me squeaky problems what should I do. I tried everything lubricating, sanding down both the springs and nothing. Pls help anyone i just got it new and don't want to spend much replacing anything. It squeaks when I move it down and up both ways. Any technique video it instructions i can get. Thx so much in advance. and it does squeak when not playing.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Imho, inducing the squeak without hitting the strings might allow one to locate the squeak more easily. Also, I would suggest a less energetic movement of the arm when diagnosing. WD40 in the area of the bushings would help if the squeak is located there....which is likely. Is this a made-in-Asia Bigsby or the higher dollar unit from the U.S? I have never heard a Bigsby create that noise.
    Do you have the plastic washer installed on top of the spring? Have you disassembled the roller bars to clean lube them and the bushings? Is the squeak there with no strings?
    The arm is situated too low for my purposes...ymmv...but that is a secondary thing compared to that squeak.

3. thexplode7

thexplode7 TDPRI Member

This is the made us usa bigsby. i did put wd-40 on the bushing and under it. The plastic washer is installed at the bottom of the springs. I have not disassembled the roller and clean them. There is no squeak when unstrung. The arm is situated low because I thought tightening it will make the squeak go away guess i was wrong. I will try disassembled the roller and clean them tmr. This problem has been driving me nuts.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

You could try some drum hardware lubricant

That’s what I use on tuners (May be right May be wrong)

I use Hetman bearing and linkage lubricant (I guess it’s for drum hardware came from the music store)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Lift up on the bar to relieve a little tension on the spring, and holding the bar up, pinch the spring between finger and thumb and rotate it about 1/8 turn. Test for squeaks. If still squeaky, repeat, rotating in the same direction 1/8 turn and test again.

Let us know how this works.

tubelectron and Wally like this.
  6. Peegoo

If the above trick doesn't work...

The primary reason for Bigsby squeaks is the spring itself--and it's most often caused by the spring's end coil rubbing against the adjacent coil (red arrow) as the spring is compressed and decompressed.

This is secret tech info, so don't tell nobody :twisted:

[​IMG]

7. Peegoo

One of those two tricks above will usually fix the issue.

8. thexplode7

thexplode7 TDPRI Member

Can I use wd-40 instead

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

wd 40 will dry up real quick. use 3 in 1. or even automotive motor oil.

Wally and Peegoo like this.
  10. Peegoo

WD40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant--despite what their marketing will have you believe.

Even a dot of oil from your car's dipstick is better than WD40.

darkwaters and tubelectron like this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If it's not the spring and seating, then its the other spring, the one that mounts the handle as Peegoo mentioned.

In the handle, on top, is a fiber washer with graphite lubricant. Below is a lock washer, the small spring, and a lock nut. Tightening this up will make the vibrato more responsive, but it also tends to increase the creak if the graphite is all gone. I'd take apart the handle and use some graphite or install a new fiber washer if its rotted out.

On some of my Bigsby handles, namely the B5/B7s, I add two oil-impregnated bronze bushings to the underside of the handle, and simply use the spring as a long washer for the lock nut. The spring can be removed all together as well. This mod allows for the most sensitivity since it's screwed down tight, and the bronze bushings eliminate squeak. I have no creaks when turning the handle 360 degrees (using the Chet bracket) either.

Wally likes this.
  12. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had one that wanted to scrape the side of the cup and make noise. I used Plasti-Dip to cure it.

It ain't pretty, but I only had red Plasti-Dip...

20200415_154030.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    BorderRadio, Wally, glenlivet and 5 others like this.
  13. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Love the Plasti-Dip!

The advice here is good. WD-40 is a BIG mistake. Sewing machine oil is good, and so is Tri-Flow.

Sometimes, the squeaking comes from the mount rubbing against the body of the Bigsby, which is much harder to correct. I won't go into it now, because it's unlikely. It can also be the roller bearings, which is even harder to fix. If it returns to pitch properly, it's almost certainly neither of these things.

Peegoo and Boreas like this.
  14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds like you have mice in the wall.

I used to get all kinds of noises when I used to use Bigsbys with a tension bar. Different noises though, this sounds like scraping. Maybe it's scraping the bridge?

Boreas likes this.
  15. thexplode7

thexplode7 TDPRI Member

This works thank you so much I am cannot stress enough should have posted here instead of lurking in other forums for 2 weeks trying to find a solution. A big secret it is.

Peegoo likes this.
  16. Boreas

Yeah, I tried everything before going the Plast-Dip route. It was also a Reverend "squishy" spring that deforms (curves) more easily than the traditional Harley springs. Only the one Bigsby has given me trouble with this, and it was a B50.

In this case, I think it was a unique combination of string gauge and handle height that created the distortion in the spring and rubbing on the side of the Bigsby socket. The higher the handle, the more the spring is distorted (curved) and the more forces are trying to make the string fly out of the socket. Not much to do about it with squishy springs (as they are all the same length) other than switching to heavier string gauges.

17. Boreas

It likely IS scraping, but not the bridge. See #12 and #16. I noticed heavy, automotive door-striker lubricant on the walls of the cups helped for a day or two, but eventually the spring dug through to the metal. What Bigsbys should probably have (or at least offer) is a nylon CUP liner instead of simple nylon washers that do not keep the spring from contacting the metal sides.

I would LOVE to work for Bigsby in R&D. They need new blood - even 65 YO blood. When was the last time Bigsby changed anything, other than downgrading to cheap, nylon bushings or the "licensed" series? 1965? They could sell twice as many units if they innovated and addressed some of their complaints.

18. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I grind (with a grinder) the ends of the springs to finish them smoothly to eliminate adverse noises of poorly finished or poorly seated springs.

-tbln

Boreas and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.