Bigsby removal...what to do about screw holes?

SecretSquirrel

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Lube everything you can.

An easy nut slot lubricant is pencil lead (graphite); just roll the pencil point in the slot to scrape some off into the slot.

Good luck! I could never get along with Bigsbys.

perttime

Friend of Leo's
Johnny Winter's green Firebird used to have a Bigsby:

Johnnys-Firebird.jpg

spellcaster

Tele-Holic
If you're going to cover the screw holes, I'd recommend the snap-cap screw covers that are used in RV's and boats. They're available in chrome or just about any colour you could think of, and because they're plastic they're paintable.

71vYA3w66qL._SX355_.jpg

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I used to build RV tour buses.... we used loads of those clip on cup/buttons on all the screws inside on the upholstery....looks neat ..:)

max_twang

Tele-Afflicted
i'm really liking the chrome buttons guys. If the Bigsby goes, I'll put a little extra bling on the thing :)

Art VanDelay

Tele-Afflicted
Bigsbys require a little R&D to get it right and most people just don't have time for that. For me, what worked was going 5-string open-G like keith richards.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s like the scars, wrinkles and grey hair I proudly wear with no shame, pain or excuse.

Leave ‘em...they show the journey the guitar has been on since it left the factory.

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
I put a vintage type bridge plate on a Squier Affinity telecaster, which left two exposed holes in the body. I just put two screws in there and called it done. It looked fine.

strat a various

Friend of Leo's
It’s almost always the nut and bridge. After that it’s the Bigsby itself—the geometry and hardware.

Wide flaring headstocks are cause for headaches too. Angling the slots helps with this, so much so that I won’t ever buy a String Butler. I don’t bother with traditional cut nuts, I replaced all my Gretsch nuts with custom slots, usually in bone or brass. Roller bridges help, but no they aren’t necessary. Bar bridges are incredibly stable for Bigsby a and don’t buzz, but I only use those on a floating setup. Tuner don’t make a difference either, as long as the strings are properly locked to the post.
This is correct. Tuning issues are caused in this order:
1. Nut needs to be properly grooved and possibly lubricated.
2. Bridge the same. ... and bridge break angle needs to be addressed.
If the nut or bridge grab the string, even momentarily, you have a tuning issue, and a Bigsby just amplifies nut and bridge issues.

The lighter the strings, the more a Bigsby will affect tuning. Also, the stiffer the spring, the less problems you'll have. I use short, stiff springs in my Bigsbies because I want the handle close to the body.