Bigsby or no Bigsby?

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
So I am playing around in the mod shop and have designed a tele with a Bigsby and locking tuners. My buddy says his Bigsby always requires a lot of retuning. Assuming I’m not dive bombing, what are others experiences here, especially with Gender putting it together?

Also, I am a humbucker guy? And good pickup configs that are hot like humbuckers?
I gotta vote Bigsby, but not on everything. LPs and Teles already have some amazing sounding and performing bridges on them, at least the Tune-o-matic and the compensated Tele bridges are. On Gretsches and some other hollowbodies, heck yeah! They're not dive-bomb monsters though. The Bigsby was invented in 1946 and was on guitars from the '50s and '60s. They're really made for a subtle tremelo sound which I like a lot.

20220707_132728.jpg
20220704_215422.jpg

pi

Tele-Holic
I disliked the bigsby, so would vote for no. Personal preference. The finicky-ness and tuning stability wasn't worth the ability to slightly vibrate the strings.

They look cool though.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Bigsby all the way. Tuning issues? It’s most likely install and setup error—they can be extremely stable, and can be dive bombed even if not meant to be. Just expect ‘6-point Strat’ return to pitch, not Floyd Rose, after a 4–step dive.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Do it.

The covered Shawbuckers sound great on a Tele. I have several Mod Shop instruments and I’m really happy with them. If you are concerned with the lack of a solid delivery date you can order a Mod Shop through any CS dealer and they’ll get a small commission to receive it and set it up. But doesn’t change the cost.
Get the Bigsby.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Also, wow! A couple months ago I was on and you could only get the Bigsby on 1 body wood and color. Now it looks like they opened up to every color. Time for a new guitar?

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
If you really want to do dive bombs without loosing tuning, do it electronically with a Whammy pedal. Gilmour uses it on several songs. This is a demo of the lead from "The blue", not done by Gilmour.

This is David Gilmour

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Not a Bigsby guy, been there done that, dont want to go back.... but OK for mild trem.
I'd rather put in a Jazzmaster tremelo if making a guitar.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
The only reason to put a Bigsby on a Tele is -

Because your playing style makes use of it

If you don't use it -there is no point in having a Bigsby on a Tele ;)

If you decide to go with a Bigsby - put some thought into your choice of components

You want to use parts that will work together to keep your guitar in tune

From a technical perspective there are two different schools of thought regarding Bigsby bridges -

"Rocking" bridge

Or

Stationary bridge

String break angles, type of bridge saddle, nut, and the strength of the Bigby's spring all factor in to determine how well your guitar will stay in tune

You want to eliminate or at least reduce any sources of friction - friction is what stops a guitar from returning to tune when you use a Bigsby

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I love the look of a Bigsby on a Tele but just never played one that felt right. Even the ones that held tuning well just felt like they had odd string tension. I'm sure I could be convinced.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I have a Bigsby on my SG, but I would have one on anything else, especially a Telecaster. If I need to do some wanking, I will do it on my Stratocaster.

CalebAaron666

Tele-Holic
Bigsbys on everything!
I’ve decided to swear off bigsbys with tension bars (B5, B7). They’re hot, but I never have luck with them.
I prefer a B16 or a chopped B5 on a tele. The neck needs a shim, and the setup requires a different kind of bridge, but I basically NEVER go out of tune, even when I abuse the wiggle stick. Seriously!
DF48E4D3-0721-4B4D-82FF-36BA5CF7C865.jpeg

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I really like using a Bigsby, but the two guitars that were equipped with them always drove me crazy. The problem was that the case always ended up pushing down the bigsby when transporting or even storing in case to the point that it would always be way out of tune when I took them out.

Not the end of the world, but just found it so annoying that they would be so far off.

RockinforJesus

Tele-Meister
So I am playing around in the mod shop and have designed a tele with a Bigsby and locking tuners. My buddy says his Bigsby always requires a lot of retuning. Assuming I’m not dive bombing, what are others experiences here, especially with Gender putting it together?

Also, I am a humbucker guy? And good pickup configs that are hot like humbuckers?
Here’s a great solution for Bigsby + humbuckers. PRS stopped making these a few years ago with the Bigsbys (Core and S2 models), so if you can find one, scoop it up quick. The stock pickups are fantastic. Almost Gretsch-like.
68EB0CB3-4323-4094-8369-20A8BE476CBE.jpeg

It stays in tune very well, even if I dive bomb it.