Bigsby Help

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
I'm looking for some advice on a Bigsby. If I wanted to add one to a Tele, what should I get? This will be a new build. One condition is that it has to be available in gold.

I'm just a complete novice when it comes to Bigsbys. I did some looking around, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. Are there any that work with an ashtray bridge, or work well with an ashtray bridge?

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
The Bigsby B5 (best quality) or B50 are what you need. Installation is fairly involved; here's a brief overview of what is involved:

Last edited:

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Fender installed their B5s (NOT B50s) along with rocking Jag/Jazz bridges. I have found that has worked the best for me WRT tuning stability. The Jag/Jazz bridge is fairly low in profile and can be installed usually without any neck shims. Taller, roller bridges also work, but usually require a neck shim and raising the pickups to the new string height. To me, choice of bridge design is the biggest consideration.

As owner of several B50s, I would advise against them. Their Achilles' heel is the nylon bushings for the tension bar. They have just enough friction to keep the unit from returning to pitch. I replaced all of mine with ball bearings. I would spend the extra cash for a B5.

glenlivet

Tele-Afflicted
Most bigsby tele kits will come with an install plate to replace the ashtray bridge.
IMO...that's the way to go.

but... options exit. You can always just file / Dremel notches in the existing plate for the strings to pass through (people do it all the time), or buy a new plate that is pre-notched.

I would stick to either :
a) A fender branded bigsby
b) A real bigsby

You might have a hard time finding a Fender branded one in gold....not even sure if they exist....but seems like I've seen them before.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Either the rocker bridge or a roller bridge are the way to go with a Bigsby installation. You can get away with notching a standard bridge (lots of people do it), but tuning stability isn't nearly as good. If you use the Bigsby a lot, you'll wear grooves in your saddles.