1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Bigsby B-50 Lube solution found

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TX_Slinger, Apr 17, 2021.

1. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

My B50 with the plastic tension bar bushings still needed to be jostled every once in a while after using it to return to zero. It already has tusq nut, roller trees, roller bridge, and i had tried teflon dri-lube on the roller bushings with no effect. Shot some Liquid Wrench brand silicone spray in there the other day after covering the finish really well and its damn near perfect. Didn't even need a heavy spray, just barely depress the sprayer with the spray tube right on the seam of the bushing and frame and it sucks the silicone down onto the bar. Of course this was the day after I ordered the BiggsFix replacement with roller bearings o_O.

kLyon and Deeve like this.
  2. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Good to know! I've tried many approaches over the years, including Tri-Flo and various dry graphite and PTFE formulations. I've never had any of the import Bigsbys, but I bet there's little difference when it comes to lubrication, regardless of whether the bushings are plastic or brass.

So far, the best has been "Lily White Lubricant" sewing machine oil. I like it because it leaves no residue behind, and even seems to wash out dirt if you use too much. It's still less than perfect, and I'll happily try the Liquid Wrench, heeding the all-important warning about not getting any on the finish. Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Deeve likes this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Plus one
    :cool:

4. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

With the B5 and the main trem bar of the B50 they use sealed bearing so if you are having to lube those, you prob need to check for other points of friction. i guess the bar can rub against the inside of the frame so not a bad idea to have some lube there but not necessary. The B50 has poly bushings and you have to avoid petroleum based lubes with any plastics. Thats what got me to thinking, as i use the same silicone on rubber and poly automotive bushings as well as auto weatherstripping.

5. Sea Devil

My B5s have all had roller bearings, not sealed. I'm quite positive, since I've actually replaced them. That's on the bar that the handle's on; the tension bar has a brass bearing on each end of the hollow tube, with the solid shaft running down the middle.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  6. Sea Devil

Here's what those roller bearings look like out of the Bigsby.

A4477DD5-ADF8-4D18-BD62-0D2C10D3AB27.jpeg

AFAIK, all of the US-made Bigsbys use them.

7. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

Thanks! I've been schooled. Here's what arrived yesterday. Assumed this was what was in handle and tension bar of B5 and handle end of B50, huh.

biggsfix.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.