1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Biggest thickest neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dbullen, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant Tele-Meister

I doubt a Fenderoid bolt-on neck can be thicker than 1" due to the 5/8" pocket depth and typical bridge capabilities. The fatback maxes that. That Musikraft super U says 1.125" x 1.125". I've never seen one. It must muffin-top out of the pocket!

2. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Kelly on left, nocaster R. 2013-04-25190912.jpg

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I probably remembered the thickness wrong, but obviously it requires a deeper neck pocket.

Dbullen likes this.
  4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Some parts of the UK. We throw stones at people that say that.

5. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

As far as I remember, the 2010 Custom Shop Broadcaster had the fattest neck I've played so far. Maybe it was the vintage spec radius and frets but I felt it quite tiring to play when standing so I sold that guitar. I have since had a Danny Gatton and G.E. Smith Tele and they also have fat necks but I find them comfortable to play while standing. My 2017 Double Esquire has a 10/56V neck profile that I find quite large visually. Maybe it's the compound radius (7,25" to 9,5") or the medium frets but it's super comfy once you get used to it.

Dbullen and M2roadwarrior like this.
  6. Stevenoodles

Stevenoodles TDPRI Member

I’ve had several 52 AVRI Teles and they all varied in neck size but none of them were huge, I’ve owned one Gatton and I had it for about 6 months and sold it because of the neck , it was huge. Right now I have an Original 50s and they have it advertised having a big neck but it doesn’t even come close to that Gatton.

7. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

Musikraft have a specific "blackguard" neck that i believe measures 1.25" all the way down the neck...that said, I have a Zim-gar guitar (mid-60s Japanese offset) that has the fattest profile I've felt, and a flat fretboard with teeny-tiny frets to top it off. Unless someone has mutant catcher's mitt hands or a 5" thumb, i dunno why people love super fat necks.

8. 2manyteles

2manyteles Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a strat that has a Musikraft neck using one of the "blackguard" profiles. It's an inch all the way up with big shoulders but has a 1 5/8ths nut width. That makes all the difference for me. Ordinarily, this would not be a neck I'd think would be comfortable. It is, however, one of the smoothest playing guitars I've ever owned. It also has big frets, is quarter sawn and is a 7.25-9.5 compound radius. Yes, early on Leo Fender made some guitars with compound radius necks. Cool eh?

El Tele Lobo and Dbullen like this.
  9. Barnstormers Band

Barnstormers Band TDPRI Member

The Brad Paisley Tele I had sported a huge neck, (some call baseball bat necks). One I regret selling.

Dbullen likes this.
  10. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I have an Allparts neck on a partscasters Tele and it is huge. It is bigger that a CS Nocaster neck I had for several years. Fat C shape. My luthier said it is the fattest neck he has ever seen on an electric guitar. I personally like it but it may be too much for many players. I am thinking it is a C shape mostly because the luthier said it had almost no shoulder.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  11. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

I got an AO 50s Telecaster a while ago, and it has a wonderful neck. I’m not sure how it compares with some of the other guitars and necks mentioned, but it’s very comfortable, and I can’t get over how well it resonates with the body. What’s funny is I usually prefer slightly smaller necks, but this one is great.

AndrewG and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Keith urban has an old "telecaster" with no truss rod. The neck looks like a damn baseball bat. He loves it, says it has incredible sustain.

El Tele Lobo and That Cal Webway like this.
  13. mrzig

mrzig TDPRI Member

My 50's american original tele is 1" w 9.5" radius. Best neck I've ever had, though I'd love to find the same specs with a wider nut width

14. Philclops

Philclops NEW MEMBER!

15. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

I don’t have measurements but the biggest and most fat neck I’ve ever had was on my GE Smith telecaster. It sounded fantastic but I couldn’t get along with those tiny vintage frets so I sold it. I sure wish I’d have kept it though. It was FAT! So fat my hand would cramp. I’ve never had a guitar that would make my hand cramp except that one.

16. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

You're probably looking for Fender specific, but mine is a Warmoth 1-3/4 nut, 10-16 radius, fatback. It's probably my limit even with my big hands. I love it though. The most comfortable, easy playing neck I have.

OregonMike

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

The Warmoth Fatback is the largest neck that I can play without struggling. Their Boatneck is as thick, but has that soft V with some of the shoulders shaved down. If you are looking for a big thick neck, both are good choices. I have them both on several guitar builds.

ozzeng likes this.
  18. joshkrahn

joshkrahn TDPRI Member

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

1.125 I could handle and you're probably right, 1.250 would be just too much to handle.

The guitars would just set up very much like USA build G + L guitars do. Very high saddles and very high pickup heights. Not hard IF the Tele is a genuine AV52 or No-Caster style template. American Standards and their like, yeah, hard to make that bridge work and a virginal Warmoth neck pocket or a Squier Affinity Special neck pocket is so shallow you're looking for trouble - gotta deepen the pocket or theoretically you can shave down the heel and leave the neck section fatter than the heel.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  20. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.