1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Biggest Pedal Letdown

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Collin D Plonker, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

My other guitar wasn't bad, it's not like it had a twisted banana neck.

I did recently get a delay pedal and it was like "oh, THIS is rockabilly" kind of like finding the last piece of the puzzle after working on hybrid picking for 16 months.

El Tele Lobo and jddub440 like this.
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Klon Centaur, bought it straight from Finnegan himself, tried to like it but I never really found a use for it, traded it for an amp. Should have held onto it, as it would be worth $$$ today, but alas.

Then bought a KTR when they were in production, just because. Will be selling this one when it's safe to go to the post office again.

Will probably buy another in 10 years, because I am an idiot.

3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Well crap, I’ve got one coming any day. Hoping it works better with my rig than it did with yours.

Axegrinder77 and GGardner like this.
  4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Klon Clone.

Not my sound. Gave it to a friend. He loves it.

northernguitar and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. bluesintheblood

bluesintheblood TDPRI Member

The last one, before she left...

oh you said PEDALS, I must have mis-read what you said there

NoTeleBob likes this.
  6. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Well, goes without saying that a lot of this comes down to your guitar(s), amp(s) and playing style. But it's interesting to see how many "must have" pedals are out of favor with players here or don't match up to the youtube demos.

But there are lots of positive reviews of them. I may still have to try one!

But at least the drummer has a place to live now.

I've seen a lot of raves on them. Phil-X does amazing things with one - but he could do amazing things with an acoustic cigar box guitar hooked up by string to a Chinese gong as a speaker.

They do appear to be a little muddy from what I saw. Still might try one :)

Collin D Plonker and Jakedog like this.
  7. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

It’s weird how pedals go in and out of favor.

But the Bad monkey isn’t that bad. While not my favorite I can always find a usable sound.

8. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Which one? Almost all of them. I go through this honeymoon period and then hate them. Almost every single one.

It would be easier to list the ones that weren't big disappointments after the honeymoon period ended.

9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Most of my pedal letdowns are due to me not having a clear idea what a certain kind of pedal is supposed to sound like in the first place. For example, the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive was very disappointing to me at first but years later I figured out that I'm just not a huge fan of TS style overdrive. It's actually a great pedal for what it is and has some cool features.

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

its just personal preference, I found them to make me sound like everyone else , my revelation came at a jam with 7 other guitarist and might fine players at that, as we all stepped up for a 4 bar lead , 6 of them all had the same tone , used all the same equipment and sounded like one player , the 7th guy ( yours truly, didnt) as i just used a Zoom 707, and a DOD wah. I have a Reagun distortion pedal from about 35 years ago that sound different than the TS9, or BD but does the same thing and is a lot creamier sounding .

reagun_distortion_001.jpg

Jakedog likes this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Soul Food- took it as part of a trade, wanted to see what the hype was about. I couldn't understand what it was supposed to do. It wasn't a good boost or a good dirt pedal. Flipped it the next day.

MXR Micro Flanger- Sounded fantastic, but the volume jump meant I couldn't use it. Bought a Deluxe Electric Mistress which is like 4 times the size, but does what I want.

Tube Screamers- I've had like 3 TS variants over the years. I know lots of people sound great with them, but I am clearly not one of them.

northernguitar likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I play in trio, or trio+harp bands,

and I'm ' married to' my Blues Driver, always ON ( many years now). ( I do agree they are not for everyone, or every amp)

I think this ' method' came from my trying to brighten up/wake up my old blonde ( 1999) Blues Jr., which is indeed thick and midrange-y ( talking Clean tone here) and needed some EQ help.
    My TS-9 or Barber Direct Drive, good pedals, just weren't the answer.

But the BD-2 was or is, for my BJ.

It just seemed ( over time) that I just turned it ON, with controls at NOON (not that I don't tweak), I could adjust everything from my guitar's controls.

( I do the same thing, with the BD-2 and Vox Pathfinder- kind of 'doubles' the amp's volume, makes it angry)

Tele-friend and Jakedog like this.
  13. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

POG 2. I know its a popular pedal with P&W guitarists. It didn't fit well with the way I play: more country / indie / rockabilly styles.
    Sold it and haven't looked back.

14. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought a used one and wasn't real fond of it. Sold it to my local GC and the store clerks thought it was the best pedal they had heard. They were playing through it and having a great time. Guess there was no accounting for taste.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'll hold onto it for you for 10 years. No charge ;)

16. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Another troubled Rat relationship, here. I heard they were cool and sounded great so I found a used one and gave it a shot, but couldn’t stand it. This was 1992 and I still remember that messy affair.

17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I should add that my biggest disappointment in pedals is probably Every Fuzz I’ve Ever Tried. They all seem fun at first, but eventually they’re just too much too much. Just not my thing.

However, there is one I’ve had my eye on lately... :eek:

Dirty Dave likes this.
  18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

A Keeley two-knob compressor.

It hissed whenever I turned on another pedal. No one could have bonded with it.

Mark1406 likes this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve never heard of, or seen that pedal before. But I definitely want one.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    24 track and Dan German like this.
  20. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Boss FDR-1 deluxe reverb in a pedal. Umm ...............not so much. Actually, even though I own a Cube amp (used $60) I'm not a fan of Roland's COSM modeling technology. The only model on the Roland Cube I use is the Roland model.

TC shaker, TC HOF

JHS charlie brown probably a great pedal for someone just not me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.