Biggest Pedal Letdown

Flaps

TDPRI Member
Boss DS1. Seemed to cause feedback even with just power running through and the guitar at rest. Tried on two Orange amps and ended up selling and just being happy with the factory gain from the latter amp instead.

beninma

Friend of Leo's
Boss DS1. Seemed to cause feedback even with just power running through and the guitar at rest. Tried on two Orange amps and ended up selling and just being happy with the factory gain from the latter amp instead.

Sounds like a Broken DS-1?

My Orange absolutely loves the DS-1. Very easy to get good sounds out of it whether the amp is dirty or clean. Pretty easy to get controllable feedback if I wanted it and not get it if I didn't want it.

Now does it do anything you need if you're happy with the factory gain out of the amp? I'm not sure. I can agree with you there.

elbeeuk

TDPRI Member
Stone Deaf PDF-2, the one that didnt have a master vol.
I couldnt for the life of me, get a sound out of that thing that had the right gain and didn't massively boost or cut the volume of my signal way above/below the normal one.
I've got the PDF1-X now(with master vol pot), so hoping that one works for me.

Mikecito

Tele-Meister
Way Huge Supra Puss delay pedal. Way too finicky about power and hard to dial the sweet spot settings when giggn.

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
I really dislike needing a $150 pedal to make a $200 pedal sound good!

I've been wanting to wire up a bass cut cable though, like a snake that just ate a fat rat and has a bulge in the middle.
Or maybe add some bass cut into a loop pedal so it's only in the path when the awesome but too bassy pedal is looped in.

Again though, not looking for pedals that are not right!
The BOR is reported to be a bit bass heavy while the similar and cheaper Distortron has a three position subs switch that allows less or more bass. Why leave such a useful part off an expensive pedal?

(Not sure what's up with me today but I keep leaving the B off bass)
I think a bass cut (or treble boost) before the amp or pedal is a special secret sauce. My first taste was with my Yamaha Revstar which has a 'dry-switch' on the tone pot. It's essentially a bass cut. I swapped a 498/490 set into it and I really love the 498 with the bass cut. Makes for a very nice crispy crunchy tone. Then I bought a Rangemaster clone and it's almost always on with a dirty amp or pedal (except for Tele playing).

Last edited:

telel6s

Tele-Afflicted
248 previous posts in this thread and I can still add a new one. Lots of disappointment in the world of pedals. :D:lol:

Mine would have to be the Ernie Ball Expression Delay - a delay pedal built into a volume pedal enclosure where you could chose whether the treadle controls length & /or number of repeats. There's also a one-Knob reverb built in. I liked the video reviews and got it on a really good sale at Guitar Center.

It's a good idea in theory, but to me it sounded harsh and sterile. And it was even worse with an acoustic guitar which was my main reason to get it - thought I could easily punch up the delays in between vocals and dial it back while there was singing going on. The concept worked but, ehhhhch, that sound. The pedal was quickly returned.

(EB also makes a Trem pedal in the same format that I'd like to try, just not at its full price and I've yet to see a sale - used or new - that was low enough to tempt me.)

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
MXR Carbon Copy delay. I tried but immediately traded it for a Flashback 2.
TC Viscous Vibe vibrato. There was an unworkable delay when switched on or off, like 3 or 4 seconds long. It was a deal breaker.

Bedder18

Tele-Meister
Pedals that let me down :

[pretty much anything Andy Martin demos and then I realize (after buy the pedal) I’m NOT Andy Martin and I won’t get those sounds. ]

other than that , all the Meris stuff let me down. I had the polymoon, merc7, Enzo . The secondary features and terrible user interface made them impossible to use without advanced midi control. You could never get exactly the same sound twice without creating presets. That and a dozen other reasons...

strymon volante let me down. Sounds good, and is well made with a ton of features ...but it will never replace a real tape echo. I wanted it to..and maybe it could simulate one well enough for touring...but nothing comes close to the real thing for inspiration and overall tone. I Gotta have a genuine tape echo machine.

Pedals that lived up to the hype (and price) - CXM1978, DBA Rooms, Spaceman Polaris and Mission Control. JAM RipplyFall and ‘Monk. Browne Protein.

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
Pedals that let me down :

[pretty much anything Andy Martin demos and then I realize (after buy the pedal) I’m NOT Andy Martin and I won’t get those sounds. ]

other than that , all the Meris stuff let me down. I had the polymoon, merc7, Enzo . The secondary features and terrible user interface made them impossible to use without advanced midi control. You could never get exactly the same sound twice without creating presets. That and a dozen other reasons...

strymon volante let me down. Sounds good, and is well made with a ton of features ...but it will never replace a real tape echo. I wanted it to..and maybe it could simulate one well enough for touring...but nothing comes close to the real thing for inspiration and overall tone. I Gotta have a genuine tape echo machine.

Pedals that lived up to the hype (and price) - CXM1978, DBA Rooms, Spaceman Polaris and Mission Control. JAM RipplyFall and ‘Monk. Browne Protein.

The JAM Rippley Fall was my one BIG dollar pedal purchase. Loved the fast leslie I could dial in on the vibrato side, but the 2-stage phaser was weak [subtle] and clipped my clean signal no matter what I did. And phaser clipping is not pleasant, especially if pristine clean is your main base tone. Could have been my EMG S / T and SA single coils, so quite possibly it was my gear. Now, if this was a $150 dollar pedal I would have kept it. But for that investment I need a phaser that I am in love with. I'm back to my Ross / Small Clone combo.

Last edited:

Bedder18

Tele-Meister
The JAM Rippley Fall was my one BIG dollar pedal purchase. Loved the fast leslie I could dial in on the vibrato side, but the 2-stage phaser was weak [subtle] and clipped my clean signal no matter what I did. And phaser clipping is not pleasant, especially if pristine clean is your main base tone. Could have been my EMG S / T and SA single coils, so quite possibly it was my gear. Now, if this was a $150 dollar pedal I would have kept it. But for that investment I need a phaser that I am in love with. I'm back to my Ross / Small Clone combo.

agreed, the phaser is the most pedestrian sounding part of the ripplyFall but I never got it to clipping so easily as you. And what about the chorus? It’s almost a sinful effect to many guitarists, but for those times you need to dial up some glorious 80s tones it’s gotta be one of the best I’ve heard. So, I’ll give ya the weak phaser, but that chorus has to be weighed against it.

regarding the phaser, I use a spaceman mission control to express the phaser and get some otherworldly sounds...not classic phaser, mind you..but very usable.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
M-Audio Black Box Reloaded with Expression pedal. Not much useful at all

M_Audio_9900_41944_00_Black_Box_Reloaded_1233034420_465927.jpg

Last edited:

czech-one-2

Friend of Leo's
agreed, the phaser is the most pedestrian sounding part of the ripplyFall but I never got it to clipping so easily as you. And what about the chorus? It’s almost a sinful effect to many guitarists, but for those times you need to dial up some glorious 80s tones it’s gotta be one of the best I’ve heard. So, I’ll give ya the weak phaser, but that chorus has to be weighed against it.

regarding the phaser, I use a spaceman mission control to express the phaser and get some otherworldly sounds...not classic phaser, mind you..but very usable.

Yes, the chorus/vibrato was one of the best I've ever used. Might have to get a Waterfall chorus if we get to making a living playing music again....

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I feel that way about every pedal i've ever owned then later sold/trade/gave away.
Straight into an amp or acoustic is the way i always end up playing no matter how badly i want a pedal to work.

I'm the same way!
Juss amp reverb is gd enough for me.

trxx

Tele-Afflicted
Almost always, anything digital.

One exception has been a Supernatural reverb. It hasn't been noisy and does a good tonal approximation of Fender amp reverb (minus some of the springy detail). I'm as happy with it is a I have been with any analog pedal, using it within reasonable practical limits. For really wet reverb it doesn't cut it though.

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
The TS-9. When I first started out it seemed to be that one pedal that everybody just had to have.
I never got a sound out of it that I really liked and moved it on. Later I saw a video on it where a pro guitarist (I forget who) showed how to make it work by first getting the amp to the point of breakup, then adding it on top so that the drive sounds of the pedal and amp sort of blended together. It sounded pretty killer, actually.
As a compartment dweller though I can never really run my amps hot enough. I've gotten another amp since that has a master volume and it probably would've worked nicely with that, but it's long gone and I have other OD's that suit me just fine so I haven't bothered to replace it.