Biggest money pit on four wheels?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Sep 25, 2021.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard BMW is in the "money pit" category.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So that's, what, 20-25 years before 2006?

3. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

It was an '85. The Westmoreland factory had farmed out the electrical systems to the lowest bidder, a GM supplier who cobbled something together from a previous project, piggybacking systems here and there. Namely, the lighter and radiator fan.

I'm posting this as an anecdote, not a detractor. I've owned 9 VW/Audi but none newer than 2003. Anything after '93 is a parts car, anyway.

4. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is an actual electrical gremlin that happened on a daily basis:
    1. Press driver's window down
    2. Driver's window would go halfway down and stop.
    3. PASSENGER window would go all the way down.
    4. The disc would change in the CD player.

...hand to God.

bromdenlong likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

dlew919 was free-associating on all thing Korean. Like the way I daydream about IU.

[​IMG]

6. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Isn't the title of the thread 'Biggest Money Pit on Four Wheels?'

Peegoo and Blrfl like this.
  7. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

BMW = Bring More Wallet

Phrygian77 likes this.
  8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

And speaking of Rovers .... a guy some years ago brought in an older Rover for my buddy to do some interior work on.
    While it was in the shop it started leaking coolant. We popped the hood and noticed that one long radiator hose had tire patches all over it!
    Apparently it was an expensive hose, and that is how he "fixed" it.
    That's not a Rover issue, that's a Rover owner issue!

boris bubbanov and Peegoo like this.
  9. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

My gearhead buddy usually cites Jeeps and his motorhome as his cash sinkholes.

I've been lucky, but I've mostly owned Japanese cars: a Datsun 310GX, 2 Honda Civics, a 1956 Buick Special, an Isuzu pickup, and my current '98 RAV4. No lemons.

Even the Buick was pretty reliable. It just wouldn't shift into reverse if the rear was uphill from the front end. I learned to park accordingly.

My only lemon was a 400cc Suzuki motorcycle I bought new in '83. Sometimes I'd have to kick it hundreds of times to get it to start. I took it to about 5 different mechanics. None could figure it out.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The other factor that leads to "money pit status" is the mechanic working on the vehicle. Cars have gotten more and more complex over the years and a whole lot of mechanics simply haven't kept up with the times. Going to the dealer is no guarantee you won't get a "parts swapper" especially when you consider they pay those guys a percentage on parts they sell.
    Fell onto that trap on my then wife's 99 Silverado. It acted like a bad transmission, she always went to the Chevy dealer and their computer said the transmission was fine but it needed $1,200 in parts and labor to fix it. I buy the parts and put them in for $600 and still have the same problem.
    I took it to a friend's shop, he plugs it into his computer and it shows all the new parts are bad along with the mass airflow sensor. (dealer didn't mention that)
    He looks over at the airbox and sees a K&N filter sticker and tells me, "go buy a real air filter, toss that POS in the garbage and clean the MAS". I'm like "but K&Ns are great, I read an article in Hot Rod!" The K&N was in it when she bought it at about 15k.
    He went on to explain how the oil in them screws up the MAS, that made sense to me so I did what he said and the truck ran great.
    Now did the dealership know that the real fix was a new filter and ten minutes labor and they were just going to screw my wife (ultimately me) over? I'll never know, but that truck NEVER went back to that dealer and I haven't spent a dime there in almost 20 years.
    Misdiagnosis happens all the time and you pay for it. Dealerships (when I was a mechanic anyway) paid techs a percentage on parts. Kinda takes away the incentive to learn the craft and fix the problem by just replacing the part that's actually the problem doesn't it?

11. David Barnett

Somewhere on old Hwy 78 in a small town in Alabama there was a graveyard for odd French cars - Citroens, Peugeots, Renaults, even a Panhard or two. I always wondered what the back story was.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'd say a 2015 VW Passat wins every award in the Money Pit category. Seemed like very few parts fit a different year or other VW model. Very expensive to repair and something was always wrong with it.

Plus it didn't get anywhere near the mpg it promised.;)

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love these, and spent a lot of time replacing half shafts and etc., but Golly are these things too small for use in a lot of the USA. Women on their phones, driving Escalades and Expeditions and they would run you over and keep going and never know they hit you.

My Austin America was the same idea, but bigger - and Canary Yellow. Still had to do so much heroics to avoid being crushed, just driving in everyday traffic. But the handling was wonderful.

Archtops and Hamstein like this.
  14. boris bubbanov

raveyard
    +1

It used to be, cars were actually, materially improved over time in important ways. Maybe your new car had airbags, or much better brakes, or a windshield that wouldn't cut you into a million pieces. Or it produced way less emissions or got much better fuel economy.

But IMO that era is long past. And that's why our fleet of runners includes a 2006, two 2004s, a 2003, a 2002, a 2001 and a 1995 (and maybe soon a 1996). Parts are still readily available and cheap, and there's a website with guys willing to talk you through some pretty complicated repair projects.

Rustbucket likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

Those Westmoreland VWs were pretty awful.

I don't use US 78 much these days - I'll see what I can find out about those French cars. I can tell you that US 72 is often just one junkyard or vehicle field after another. People on the East and West Coasts of the USA think most cars get recycled. They would be very wrong.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  16. David Barnett

I wish I could remember what town it was in. I still have a visual image, it was on the left side of the highway when we were going from Memphis to Atlanta. It was in a triangle between the angled highway and the town's streets which were on a grid. Mostly it was overgrown with tall grass, it didn't appear to be an active working junkyard so much as a dumping ground for a bunch of very odd cars. Might have been somewhere in the Guin/Gu-Win/Winfield area? The roads down there all look different on the map now that I-22 is finished.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

Did a bit more welding on mine today, small repair on the windscreen surround, it went nicely so the next job is to clean it all up ready to fit new front end, bit more fettling of the inner wing panels to do before welding them on. It used to look like this....
    Photo-mini0075trim.jpg

But at the moment it is just a shell with no front end, so far I have repaired the heelboard, fitted new floor, toeboard, bulkhead repairs and new bulkhead crossmember, both doorsteps, A posts and closing plates,
    next is new inner wings, wings and front panel!
    Then I can move on to the back - which, at a cursory glance, will require both rear quarter panels, rear valance, boot floor, both inner wheel arches and a fair bit of swearing! (pauses for breath) and the rear companion boxes, and rear seat pan repairs!:mad:
    I am thinking of painting it ford olympic blue if I don't change my mind in the meantime!:D

Forgot the outer sills - but they are easy! Pah!:) ( and the two new doors ):cry:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  18. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

Awesome little car!

Hamstein likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I’d buy one of those big Mercedes diesel sedans they use as cabs in the middle east. They apparently run 600,000 miles and more.
    Saw one on blocks near where I live and was very tempted.
    Somehow I came to my senses and dodged that bullet

20. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

The boxy mercedes' go for ever, new ones not so good, my dad bought a fairly modern one as what he thought would be his last car, it's a lovely thing but no end of problems, he came out to the drive one morning and it's front end was on the deck - both front suspension springs had broken in the night! Imagine how bad that would have been if it had happened whilst he was driving it! The dealers response was much in the line of ' Yeah, its a consumable part, they do that ':mad:

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.