Biggest money pit on four wheels?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Sep 25, 2021.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My vote goes to diesel pickups, particularly older ones. Definitely a vehicle where if you can't afford a new one, you can't afford an old one. But people love them, cling to them and pay thousands of dollars to repair them. They'll point out the milage and pulling power. Yup they are great but once they get old and start breaking down they get expensive. In the last several months I've watched a few people I know spend thousands on the things.
    Transmissions, leaky cylinder heads, fuel injection systems, emission systems and electrical systems. Seems like if a mechanic lifts the hood it's a thousand bucks or more. Granted the people I know with them all own ones over ten years old with high milage.
    Our fleet managers at work stopped buying diesel pickups before 2015 when I started with the state. Those guys and gals are strictly numbers people and there apparently isn't a numbers advantage with the things. Just the cost of maintaining them is staggering over the approximately 150k service life we keep a pickup. They take more oil at every change and fuel filters need changing often. A gas pickup uses less oil, the oil filter is way cheaper and the fuel filter normally lasts till the truck is sold off.
    I know there's some expensive cars to keep running but I've never seen people throw so much money into keeping a vehicle like I do with diesel pickups.

SoK66 and El Serio like this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Probably not anything like turbo diesel pickup maintenance, but our 3.9L 2006 Ford Freestar started seeming pretty expensive as transmission #2 started to fail at about 210K, and after we threw about $1600 in two visits toward a dead miss that turned out to be a bad fuel injector ($300 a pop, good thing the other five were okay) and required removing the plenum and wiper transmission because of course it was on the rear cylinder head, not the front one). But at least we ended up with a new 6-coil ignition module we didn’t need.

Transmission #1 failed at about 135-140K, when the input shaft splines stripped off. Completely immobilized. I had not been doing neutral drops or any kind of hard acceleration. The transmission shop said it was not unheard of with the AXOD auto transaxle family, and an upgraded input shaft kit was available for that reason.

It was a pretty nice and convenient vehicle to drive, but not a long-wearing one, compared to various other vehicles we’ve had.

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

2001 Dodge Caravan. When my second wife graduated from aesthetician school, her parents gave her the car because it was basically an extra sitting in their driveway. I don't recall how many miles were on it, but it was way under 100k and I don't think had any bearing on our problems with it.

In less than two years, I had to replace the transmission, fuel pump, front and rear air conditioning, the water pump, and an upper radiator hose.

In the midst of all the other already exasperating repairs, the instrument cluster just quit working. No speedometer, no fuel gauge, nada. It cost me almost $400 for a dealership to deduce that it needed a complete new instrument panel circuit board, over a thousand dollars at the time.

It's the only time I've ever been upside down on a car that I never made a single payment on.

My ex traded it for a 2005 GMC Envoy. During the remaining time we were together, the only thing I ever replaced on the Envoy was a headlight bulb.

RomanS, BobbyZ and northernguitar like this.
  4. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The 1980s wasn't a good period for Detroit. Everyone's cars seemed to be in the shop on a regular basis. I had an 1987 Taurus which was an exception, it was an excellent vehicle on most accounts but even that one had some fuel injection issues that sent it back to the dealer multiple times.

5. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

only one I can speak from experience on is the 1991 nissan 300zx that I owned for a year

every month something else was breaking. it was a feat of engineering, probably still is, that required a lot of specialized knowledge and tools.

insurance sucked because it was a sports car, gas sucked because it used premium

the windows have no frame around them so when someone decided to break into the car to steal a RHCP CD and some loose change, the window was completely mangled and took another repair bill

sometimes your dream cars are not very dreamy

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

In my neighborhood, it's the Cooper Mini. I have three neighbors that got them because they were a "cute car," but they're not made particularly well. Compounding matters is the parts are handled by BMW, so that means $$$$ for repairs that on other vehicles would cost $$$.

Sax-son and BobbyZ like this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone remember these? From the days of the oil embargo gas shortages.
    upload_2021-9-25_15-58-45.png upload_2021-9-25_16-0-1.png upload_2021-9-25_16-4-12.png

nrand, Rmccamey, drf64 and 7 others like this.
  8. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Jaguars, Audi, and Volvo after warranty period esp. Volvo............

vgallagher, idjster and drlucky like this.
  9. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I had a Dodge Grand Caravan in the 90’s. It was such a turd, I’ll never buy Chrysler again. Would you like to discuss with me the third transmission? :mad:

Sconnie, RomanS, KyAnne and 3 others like this.
  10. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Jaguars
    BMW
    Mercedes

Dan Skammer and KyAnne like this.
  11. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

1971 MGB-GT.

12. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My sister had one of the GMC Denali XLs. After 5 years or so it was one thing or another going wrong. Brakes, electronics, etc. And it wasn’t for lack of upkeep. My brother-in-law is fastidious about maintenance. What did she do? Bought another one, and it just started having issues about 3 years in. Unexplained failure to start that they’re having trouble replicating after several times of her being stranded.

A friend of mine had an Audi that was always in the dealer’s shop and the parts/repair prices were very high. He griped about it routinely. He finally got another car. Another Audi.

That’s what I just don’t understand. I don’t want to hear them complain any more.

Maybe I’m lucky or easy on my cars, but other than routine maintenance, all I’ve been in for in the past 30 years are a couple of mufflers/tailpipes, an O2 sensor, and a wheel cylinder with my wife and my cars. And we keep them on average 15 years.

drlucky, KyAnne and SRHmusic like this.
  13. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Full-size '62 Mercury. She swung, she swayed, she bobbled. She burned gas so fast that every time I parked it, a little gaggle of Saudis would appear out of nowhere to worship it.

14. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

I bought a Toyota Tacoma. 2005 2nd generation new. Zero issues in 16 years. I just drive it to the beach so it only has 18,000 miles on it. I just added some take off new tires and rims. Looks and drives like new.
    Engine poured in Elkhart, Indiana
    Front cab built in Fremont, CA
    Bed built in Long Beach, CA
    A2A53CDA-F29A-496E-AD74-7930080C5334.jpeg 0900487D-32D2-4A04-8B8D-63583A6CEED1.jpeg 2BF90AD6-CE5A-4032-B061-05892FDFEC93.jpeg

15. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Audis are just plain awful cars, always have been. Auto Unions were cool, however.

[​IMG]

bromdenlong, suthol, drlucky and 7 others like this.
  16. Cpb2020

Agree on Audis. I’m not sure how they convince folks to buy them. Expensive to buy, expensive to keep on the road.

RomanS, Piggy Stu and Rowdyman like this.
  17. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

It's gotta be a status thing. They do look pretty in the showroom, but so what?

18. Cpb2020

With my friend in question, that would be the case.

My current car is a Toyota and my most recent car before that was a Subaru. So clearly status doesn’t matter to me.

Greggorios and Archtops like this.
  19. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

My brother loves them, I bought a 2002 Toyota Tacoma (gas) and have had only one problem in 20 years, fuel/air sensor went out, like $200.
    I think my brother just likes to fix his truck.

SRHmusic and Archtops like this.
  20. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

We have Hondas: equally dull, equally reliable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.