Biggest jerk you ever shared the stage with?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Feb 12, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Oh ok. A fun way to play on your own is to search for heavy metal backing track 135 bpm on youtube.

You can find whatever backing track style with the speed you want. I like to do it.

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The really cool players I have shared the stage with outnumber the jerks by a huge margin... The jerks, however, are much more memorable...

3. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Yeah...I've done all that. My goal is more stage experience. Which to me is half working with the other musicians and half dealing with the distractions/stage fright/other variables.

90% of the time it works out OK. In most jam situations, the 'audience' tends to be 75% people who are waiting to play themselves.

Sadly, this venue has become the home bar for this jerk's band. So it'd be like playing with Jimmy Buffet at Margaritaville. He's got the home field advantage.

johnny k likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I still regularly share the stage with jerks.
    I only play with a couple of em’, they are in different bands, and they aren’t jerks to me, anymore.
    These two are bandleaders, and both have to lead, because they cannot follow.
    I have learned how to handle them.
    It took awhile.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  5. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I was briefly in a band with a guitarist who was just obnoxious. When he was young, he’d been in a band that toured opening for Jo Jo Gunne. He had a more powerful rig than I did at the time, and he insisted on always drowning me out. He always talked condescendingly to me, and I don’t think he was very keen on it being a two guitar lineup.

It thankfully didn’t last long, and it was the only time I ever experienced anything other than a mutual admiration kind of vibe with another player.

6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

I was on this solo gig once...that guy was the worst.

7. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

That's when you casually unplug and go to the bar and watch the ensuing dumpster fire.

aerhed likes this.
  8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Reminds me a bit of my good friend who likes both types of music, rhythm and blues. Have played bass with him on and off for 35 years. Back in the day, I learned his full set list and played out a few times. That was actually a really good band, great drummer and front guy/singer/harmonica player.

I tried showing him some tunes I'd written. YAWN. Tried picking tunes in his preferred genre that I thought he'd like. ZZZZ. Had him over for a jam on 2 chords and he had a harder time than I would have imagined.

Playing one of his preferred tunes he sounds great. I don't necessarily view this as a failing but it's interesting how different people are. Having mostly played bass in group situations and not being great at singing at the same time, I have found fulfillment in being supportive and trying to be sensitive to what is being played, at the expense of playing "my tunes".

JustABluesGuy and brookdalebill like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Lots of leaders are very “chauvinistic” about the music they play.
    They think the bag they love, and live in, is the only bag.
    Those folks can rarely branch out.
    My favorite bands to play/sub in pass the “leader” designation around.
    The singer is the leader.
    It’s way more fun, IMO.
    Though I rarely band-lead, when I do, I choose people (like me), who can lead, follow, or get out of the way.
    It’s important to know those three things, IMO.

10. Flat6Driver

Yes, and this could have been a good learning experience for me but it wasn't. I was trying to read chords from the back this guy's guitar neck. Didn't even turn towards me to show me what he was doing. It's a loud environment and he had a lot of effects and my ear isn't what I want it to be. So when you expect a chord change, and there isn't one for instance, it's kinda tough.

I think the whole thing where he's like "play something like XXX because I did something else" pissed me off. You played what you wanted to play, I will do the same and you can cram your "suggestion".

Sometimes it's nice to not lead a tune, but those that are, have a little responsibility to lead the others and not expect us to figure out what's in your mind. Else, it's just a dumpster fire. I recorded it all, maybe I will post a clip.

11. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

After 20yrs I haven't played on stage...

I've finally got the itch.

Not because I'm finally good enough, I just no longer care enough about what others think.

Best part about never having an audience, you haven't lost anything if you blow it.

There is a severe lack of players, that play what I like in my area, and travelling isn't an option. So playing opportunities never really come around.

But I have dealt with a real douche on 2 separate occasions.

12. Flat6Driver

Yes, but this is a story thread, please post!

13. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

In this R&B group, the other three guys were a bit older and all of them listened to and liked the same kind of music, so they'd call one out, and I'd ask "how's that one go?" After bit of this, I said "oh you guys just play blues pretty much exclusively" which was helpful to me to get to maybe the 80% level. Tell me the key, fast/slow, mambo or shuffle, etc.

There are tunes like "Hideaway" that change feel at specific spots and if the whole band doesn't hit it, it's a mess. I'd heard "Hideaway" but I hadn't memorized all of those things initially.

There was another one I really liked called "Henpecked Joe". Now this is really unusual in that I cannot find a YouTube video of it. It is 1-4-5 changes but the # of measures on each chord is pretty weird, e.g. 5-3-4-2 or something. I'd have to count in my head. But they never wrote anything out for me to follow. After a year of me messing up their tunes one of them made me a cassette to listen to.

Here's another one that band used to do which I have always loved. Being that it's not strictly a blues tune I'd always ask that we play it, which I think got on my friend's nerves after awhile.

14. GEECEE

GEECEE TDPRI Member

LOL!! That's upbeat, creative and fun. Some good playing too!

15. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Adam Duritz - specifically when he was a nobody playing for an unknown band. maybe he was just having a bad day.

16. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

My brother the keyboard player.

Plays melodic leads through each and every song, but the rest of us have to play just like the recording,

stinkey likes this.
  17. Flat6Driver

Really? Ok you win. I love the CC, but I could see him being a challenge to "follow".

Funny thing about the open mics, I have met a fair number of douches, but I haven't had to play with them. Usually they are well known entities. At jams, even when I was so lost I needed a map most have been gracious people.....not this guy, or Mr Keyboards.

18. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

It's funny because in the mid 90s some college friends and I tried to start a band. The "leader" was a guitarist that for reasons unknown to me was considered "good".

This was also the jam band era so great weight was given to improv and asking for a progression got confused looks like I was asking for bowling alley bumpers.

I have not tried to play in a band since. Too much of a headache and too much prima donna drama.

19. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

to be clear, i wasn't in the band he was in... our bands shared a stage... 2 bands 2 sets... separate from one another. his opened for mine. my band provided the PA. He attempted to put his foot through one of our monitors numerous times, cursed at us all vigorously, and eventually kicked the monitor off the stage.

we were nobodies, they were nobodies. we had no money, we provided the PA and more than half the crowd.... that was the thanks we got. again, maybe he was just having a bad day. dunno. it was uncalled for. i'll never forget it.. especially since he went on to 'greatness'

i do also live with the satisfaction of knowing, and knowing he knew, our band kicked his bands rear in every possible way, performance wise. you gonna kick our monitor? prepare to be blown away.

drlucky likes this.
  20. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Please tell me his fur covered guitar looked like this! Haha. I just needed a visual with that story. Who, outside of ZZ Top, opts for a fur covered guitar?? If you own it you better be able to play to back it up.
    IMG_6420.jpg

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.