1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Biggest guitar heist in history?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Mar 4, 2021.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

He's just as likely to be a guy with a lot of disposable income who likes guitars.

I got introduced to a guy at Norm's one day who was an agent to a few comedians. The guy who introduced me (who had a pretty crazy collection) asked him how many guitars he had. The guy said 'Not sure...500? 550? Somewhere around there.'

I was stunned. I was freaking out at my friend's collection, and my friend totally freaked out about that agent's collection. But the guy wasn't really famous for anything, he just had a truck load of money.

- D

drlucky and backporchmusic like this.
  2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

That many guitars in a storage unit left uninspected for months? Those weren’t tools (or at least not the victim’s), they weren’t babies, and anyone who can afford to stash away that many guitars and amps is not what I think of as a “working man.” Yes, theft is bad, and I hope the thief is caught and punished, and that the guitars are returned to their rightful owner undamaged. I would certainly feel much more strongly about it if it were the theft were just one guitar from someone who could not afford another, or a gigging musician’s actual tool of the trade.

Bob3D, Jimclarke100, Flaps and 2 others like this.
  3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Harley. Benton. Stole em.

After Sturgis.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

That is unbelievable. Holy cow.

5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

What's exactly was the point of this "collection"? A ton of similar and repetitive guitars. More like an accumulation. Liked them so much they were relegated to storage. A man with that kind of money should have more sense or a place a home to keep them. (maybe he's got better stuff at home).

Just seems fishy from all angles.

Flaps, OldPup and Telekarster like this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I suppose it goes without saying but.... anyone who's bought a vintage guitar or amp in the last 6 months, best be checkin' your gitter/amp against this list ;)

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Yeah I totally agree with you, it’s just the thought of losing a guitar that’s so upsetting and usually it’s not rich collector’s it’s guys that really can’t afford it.

drlucky and Dan German like this.
  8. schoolie

schoolie Tele-Holic

In an unrelated story, Jam Night has been cancelled at Google.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm not saying anything, but I posted this over at Offset Guitars and it's crickets. The plot thickens...

Just kidding, OSG is a great place :)

Telekarster likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A lot of guys specialize in one type of guitar. This guy seemed to love his offsets.

I've got a friend who specializes in pre-war archtops. He buys other guitars, but he must have 100 archtops.

- D

Flat6Driver likes this.
  11. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

I agree it's fishy. But having had a storage unit in the past, I found that the people working there just want their monthly rent. When I moved my stuff out, I showed up with a U-Haul truck and two movers and we cleared it out in about an hour without telling the facility ahead of time that we were coming. Nobody batted an eye. We never saw anyone the whole time. Nobody that works there knows what you're putting in your storage locker.

We also don't know, unless I misread it, that this guy was using a secured commercial facility. "Storage facility" is overly vague. He cold have had his stuff in a building, warehouse, or storefront, like most of the people featured on American Pickers, and it wasn't secured at all and he just got cased by someone.

Whatever the case is, it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. I don't think this many well documented guitars and amps are just going to vanish.

Telekarster likes this.
  12. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

eh, i have some sympathy for the meth head. anyone can end up an addict. i don't think they act out of evil, just desperation.

on the other hand this theft is exactly the type of theft that probably was the work of a cold calculating bastard. somebody who knew him probably stiffed him.

Steve Holt and drlucky like this.
  13. Personal Gsus

Personal Gsus TDPRI Member

I would think a story like this would have made the local San Jose news. But I can't find anything online. Anyone else?

14. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Insurance scam..?

Steve Holt likes this.
  15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I dont know but big ups for the screen name, Gsus.

Personal Gsus, drlucky and Dan German like this.
  16. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

The better question is why are your guitars and amps where they cannot be used by walking out of the living room and back? I'd rather go without a couch than not be able to play my guitar on a whim.

drlucky likes this.
  17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd also wager this was done in the wee hrs of the am when theres no one around. Makes me think there was help from within.

18. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

To clarify I have sympathy for addiction. I’m a recovering addict myself and I’ve lost enough friends to addiction to get it. I do not have sympathy for people who make bad choices and embrace it. The addicts I knew that robbed or stole weather I loved them or not, they were doing it to fulfill selfish desires. They never cared who or how they hurt someone, they just wanted something for themselves be it money, drugs or power. Actions have consequences. I don’t excuse myself for any terrible decisions I made under the influence and I believe thieves should be punished for their crimes. I don’t think they need to be executed but I’m not giving them a sympathetic pass.

BorderRadio and loopfinding like this.
  19. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

That looks like an inside job to me.

20. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

True, none of the addicts I’ve known have robbed or broken in like that nor really been violent. Which is why I say “some” sympathy. But I guess I still reserve most of my ire for someone who’s in the right state of mind and chooses to backstab, which seems like is probably the case here.

TheDavis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.