1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Biggest guitar heist in history?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Mar 4, 2021.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i had the following in my e-mail this morning, from Vintage Guitar magazine:

https://mailchi.mp/vintageguitar.com/stolen-guitar-alert-1024164?e=99e83c6b50

how in world would anybody steal so many guitars and amps at once? they had to have made several trips.

i put this here because, with this many guitars, i think there is a chance that one of us could run into one of them. i greatly dislike people who steal guitars. as opposed to more honest folks who, say for instance, rob banks or trains.

Axegrinder77, Buell, drlucky and 2 others like this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

3. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Holy @#$%

4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Mind boggling. These will go overseas quick. I doubt they will pop up on Reverb, Craigslist or in GC stores. The thief will need to get them out of the US or spend years moving them one at a time directly to players.

5. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wow, that really sucks. People suck. It's the fault of the system in some cases, like "put in certain circumstances, most people would do x,y,z.". But something so specific like stealing a huge guitar collection, with all the complexities of moving the stolen goods .. you kind of need to be born an *******

6. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Would have been worse but he kept the Tele’s at home under the bed.:twisted:

Killing Floor likes this.
  8. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i hope they're all insured..

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Insurance? Hope they are recovered.
    Nobody deserves theft.
    There’s an old saying, don’t be leaving over $1M in a sketchy storage unit. Sorry for them. Stealing sucks. If you DM’d me a year ago and asked if I knew for certain a million bucks worth of rare guitars would be stolen, I’d bet my own mortgage payment that it would. Start with all the people who had to have helped him move in.

10. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

That is insane.
    Having a few guitars - or quite a few guitars - is fine. But I think that guy's thing was a little pathological)

Buell and drewg like this.
  11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Storage facilities aren't always the best-guarded buildings in the world.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine a couple of years ago - someone got into his storage locker and stole about 20 guitars. It just so happened that the facility's security cameras 'weren't working' when the break-in happened, and detectives later discovered that it was an inside job.

Luckily my friend got most of his guitars back, but he spent a lot of time watching eBay trying to find them. The web site is a good idea, because he was able to provide serial numbers and identifying marks on the guitars so he could get them back.

And yeah, gear thieves suck.

- D

Buell and Greggorios like this.
  12. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Holy cow! That’s insane.
    I’m hoping he at least gets some of this stuff back.
    I freaking hate a thief

13. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

The thief loves offsets.

14. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

You don’t steal tools and babies. A hit like that goes after both. I have no sympathy for whatever anyone wants to do to the thieves.
    I know far too many people who have had their #1 stolen and my heart goes out to them.
    I haven’t had any guitars stolen personally but I have had tools stolen and anyone who thinks it’s okay to take away a low paid hard working mans ability to work so they can buy their meth or whatever is pure evil and again I have no sympathy for any recourse done to them.

15. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Let me guess...the cameras at the storage facility weren't working that day.

Greggorios and Telekarster like this.
  16. Lotek

Lotek TDPRI Member

Blown away that much was stolen from one location. Sympathy to the owner, evil thoughts towards the thieves.

Lockback likes this.
  17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My guess is someone was a little too boastful about his vintage guitars he had down at the storage place. Owner mentions it, thief give a grand to the worker to take a long lunch or disable the cameras and the guitars are gone.
    I also think an inside job would be the first place to start looking.

And there is the possibility that they were well insured... and someone just so happened to steal them.

I knew a guy who had a car that was about to be repo'ed. He hid the car from the bank and then called and reported that the car was stolen. They filed a police report which the guy then turned into his bank with a sorry note as he had let the insurance lapse as well.
    I saw the guy about a year later driving the same car. Asked a friend about and heard the whole story. He hid the car at his friends house in the garage while they scoured for a wrecked rebuilder model of the same type. He then bought the rebuilder and just put the plates from the rebuilder on the stolen car. I don't know how they got it tagged and licensed but they did and he was driving around a car he almost got for free.

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

That's an insane collection. I wonder if the person is a well known musician or instrument dealer.

19. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Yeah.... as others have said in the other thread about this, there's just something a tad fishy going on here.... seems incredible that a million bucks worth of gear vanishes into thin air, from a storage facility, and no one knows exactly what day/time this happened? What storage facility that would house this much $$$ not be 100% covered with the latest security features, high fencing, guard shack, passcode entry, etc.? But, obviously, something happened to all that security in one night, and if the facility didn't have those features then.... not real smart stowin' that gear there. It would take a moving truck to haul all that stuff outta there, and time, and yet they got away scott free? Strange...

Buell, maxvintage and OldPup like this.
  20. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

From the article....."My storage facility in San Jose California was broken into sometime between Sept 24, 2020 and December 23, 2020...."

That's how they stole everything....the owner hadn't checked on his collection for three months. They may have returned repeatedly to get everything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.