Biggest gig of my life.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joeybcdt, Sep 28, 2012.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt Tele-Meister

I have a large festival gig coming up next week opening for Corbin Easton. I've never played a venue this large.

I normally play a Fender DRRI but I'm concerned it may not be enough amp for this situation. Am I wrong or should I bring my twin reverb? Should I bring both and let the soundman decide?

EDIT. ......... DRRI was a mistake. Supposed to be PRRI.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

take both... maybe they will be able to mic the DRRI...

3. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I would imagine your going through whatever the headliner is going through - just maybe not as loud. Deluxe more than enough.

4. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

i play LOTS of festivals! DRRI should be fine. i'm sure the sound guys will have mics and monitors . heck i used my Vibro Champ once at a fest!

5. timbo_93631

timbo_93631 TDPRI Member

Stick with what you are used to. If you make a change your mind will be trying to adjust to the different gear when it should be focused on the songs. A mic is your best buddy for this situation.

6. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

+1

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Take it , mike it, but, if it is a big venue, their backline is probably ready to go with a nice twin.!

8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Depends on whether you play clean, if the Gigi's outdoors, and how far you will be from your amp.

9. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

I like this idea.

10. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Better yet, you decide. Are you pushing that DRRI? Cause I doubt you will be able to push that Twin??? Is a very clean sound (Twin) gonna work for you? I would bring the one you are more comfortable with and sound/play the best. Don't get all caught up in this before "the most important gig of your life" - Your playing is priority here. Relax and you will be fine. Have fun! :D

11. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Actually I might add.. stay off this board for a week and focus on your playing. Tell us all about it afterwards. Peace.

12. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Use whatever amp you're used to! I'm sure they will have the ability and knowledge in their soundmen to make whatever amp you use sound great through the PA and monitors

13. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

No advice but Good on ya brother. Have FUN.

14. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Twin reverb of course.

15. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Good luck on the gig, cant wait to see vids and pics.

16. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Play what you normally play, they can mic it up, send it back through the monitors, whatever. Don't worry about it. The sound crew should be able to work with you and make you sound good.

Good for you on getting this gig....you go out there and give it all you got! That's more important than what amp you bring.

17. flop

flop Banned

Play drunk!

18. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

A little liquor wouldn't hurt

19. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I had a recent "biggest gig" and not to say that it was the biggest by any stretch, but it was definitely a large outdoor festival and was very important to me. The weeks leading up I was on a mission to buy a larger amp (and almost did get a 4-10 Dr Z but it fell through thank god). I play a 12 watt '75 Princeton, and bring a 12waty MusicMaster Bass amp as well (run in stereo, and the MMB acts as my monitor as well). So I end up going to the gig with my little favorite amps not knowing what the hell to expect. The sound crew was amazing soundchecking lines with their little ipads dialing everything in.
    They gave me the perfect monitor mix, and I **** you not they had me sounding like I was playing a stack at RedRocks! I could not believe it. One of the best gigs of my life, and tons of compliments. Now I see how Mike Campbell pulls it off.

Moral of the story, don't fret. A little 57 and a good soundman, coupled with some tasty licks is all one needs for an epic performance.

20. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

I wouldn't play drunk but a little snort of booze before this gig is not a bad thing... Unless you have no tolerance whatsoever.

All this talk about bringing your small amp And having it mic'd... You just better be sure that they have the capabilities of mic'n everything, or you really gonna be in a pickle

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.