1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Biggest Concert Surprises...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by snorville, Nov 12, 2019.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

If you like Daryl, get Jean Luc Ponty's Imaginary Voyage album. His guitar playing on that album is astounding!

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My violinist Dad and I saw Jean-Luc at the Paramount Theater in 1976.
    Daryl was with him, and I think Anthony Jackson was on bass.
    It was a great show, in a great sounding venue!
    Another wonderful memory!

DougM likes this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Bryan Adams, Keith Scott and their drummer. Fantastic.
    Also when I went to inquire about tickets they had made a small addition in front for a mere $55.00!! Grabbed two seats and the ex and I had a wow of a night. Gosh Keith Scott did so well. He made a three piece band sound like the whole old Bryan Adam's band.

brookdalebill and DougM like this.
  4. DougM

When I saw Jean Luc he had Scott Henderson on guitar, who is great too, but I wished it had been Daryl.

5. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I mostly fall asleep watching bands, but Poco in their early days was off the scale good.

Blue Bill and DougM like this.
  6. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Chad Mitchell Trio came to play at my college back in the ‘60’s. At showtime they announced that Chad and another guy had plane problems and would be late. The third member in the trio was a new guy to the group and was already there, so he went out and played by himself for about 45 minutes. He was great. Found out later the “new guy” was John Denver.

Saw Stephen Stills in Wash., DC and at the end of his concert Neil Young came out and they did several old Buffalo Springfield songs; Bluebird and a couple others. Was just great, plus I saw them the next night in a little bar in Georgetown I used to frequent.

7. DougM

I loved all versions of Poco. They are the band the Eagles wanted to be but weren't good enough. It amazed me that Timmy did the second highest harmony parts, and George (their drummer) sang the highest parts. And their harmonies weren't just parallel parts like the Eagles and many other bands, but parts moving in and out in counterpoint behind the lead vocal in very much the same way that some later Beatles tunes did. And I always hated the Eagles for stealing Timmy away from Poco and for stealing Joe away from his solo career and turning them both into very highly paid sidemen, just like they've more recently done to the amazing Vince Gill.

catdaddy likes this.
  8. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Eagles ..yep, actually fell alseep watching them lol, but their first album, Bernie's bender-tele with Frey singin', really nice.

9. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

Back in the 90's, I went to a county fair close by and they had bands playing all day. The headliner was The Little River Band. No, not the original guys. The only original that I could tell was the lead guitar player Stephen Housden. All the other guys were much younger. They blew me away! They played all the hits and had the great LRB harmonies. One of the top 5 shows I've ever been witness to. :)

10. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Went to Madison Square Garden back around '68 to see Jimi Hendrix. There was an opening band I never heard of called "Cat Mother & the All-Night Newsboys". Although Hendrix was awesome, I enjoyed Cat Mother's music more. Went out the next day & spent my allowance on their 1st album, "The Street Giveth & The Street Taketh Away". Wore out that copy & hadda buy a 2nd.
    Hadn't been to a concert in over 30 years, but last year saw "Trans Siberian Orchestra" They were just mind-blowing.

Okay; here is my #1. Back around '73 I was dating a new girl, & needed a place to take her. My aunt worked for an agency that could get great tickets to anything at all. The only concert coming up was "Emerson, Lake & Palmer" at Madison Square Garden. I asked her to get tickets to that, even though I knew nothing about them, basically being a country fan at the time. Well; chick & I called it quits before the concert, so I took my friend Mike who I knew was a fan. We had 1st row dead center; the 2 best seats in the house. They blew me away to the point where they are, to this day, my absolute all-time favorite band ever. Have seen them 17 times since that night, even met Lake & Palmer, but that is another story.

11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Huey wasn't half bad on Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous album either.

12. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hooters are, as you mentioned, very talented guys. And a lot of fun live.

13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The two shows that made my head explode were: Jeff Beck in '78 or so, and Robbin ford, maybe '87. Beck's command of the guitar was way beyond anything I'd ever imagined, just astonishing. Ford sang and played so amazingly well, it intimidated me so much, I put my guitar down for a couple weeks until I could calm down.

14. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw him in Melbourne in 1977...stunning!
    Jean-Luc Ponty - Electric Violin, Daryl Stuermer - Guitar, Alan Zavod - Keyboards, Tom Fowler - Bass, Violin, Mark Craney - Drums

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Sad to see Shawn's passing, although I wouldn't call it a side project. Brad was a legitimate quality band that Stone was lucky to be in. ;)

My surprise was a free noontime Big Country show around '92 in Union Square in SF. I knew a couple albums pretty well, but I wasnt expecting that show. I left with a huge grin on my face. So much fun & I dont remember them playing In A Big Country. Bonus.

DrASATele likes this.
  16. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

Umphfrees mgee.. please excuse my spelling

17. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Brother took me to a mid-afternoon gig in London in 1981, packed house, bare stage, bright house lighting. I had no idea what to expect, then on walk the "Stray Cats"...stunning show....yes, I was more than pleasantly suprised.

18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Emmylou Harris and the Hot Band '78. Ricky Skaggs singing harmonies, et al. Small concert on a showboat, only about 200 in the audience. Emmylou was wearing her trademark white buckskin outfit with frills and tall white buckskin boots. Wish I had photos of that concert! Her electric guitar player was insane good. What a party! People were dancing on both decks of the showboat; it was docked next to a small seating area. Michael Martin Murphy was the opening act.

Seen a lot of big acts, including Zeppelin and The Who both in '75, great concerts, but this little showboat concert was my favorite ever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.