Biggest Concert Surprises...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by snorville, Nov 12, 2019.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

The second time we saw Cowboy Junkies. First time was at the Beacon Theater in NYC, and it was OK. But that SECOND time? At City Winery, also in NYC. Changed my life. Power chords on a fuzztone mandolin? Sign. Me. Up.

Manual Slim and richiek65 like this.
  2. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Twas probably Steve Housden on guitar, he's almost untouchable.. unfortunately he's behind all the drama over LRB the last 30 years or so.
    LRB were my first live music experience, I was about 16, at the time it was their "classic" line up, great show.

3. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

2015, the Stones were doing a very select few dates in the states. I convinced myself this really was the last time, and since I’d never seen my favorite band live, I decided to splurge on tickets.

My quandary was which show? I was living in the Louisville Kentucky area, and they were playing Indianapolis and Nashville, both roughly the same distance away. I decided to go with Nashville, in the hopes that there’d be surprise guests.

Brad Paisley was the opening act. Not really my cup of tea, and the same could be said for pretty much everyone in attendance, even though it was Nashville.

Anyway, he was doing a decent enough job, busting his ass to get through to us, when he kicked off “Life’s Been Good” only to stop after a couple of lines.

“This song’s too high for me, guys. Is there anyone here who can sing it?”

Out walks Joe Walsh.

They kick the song off again, and then do two more to close the set.

Joe Walsh! Suck on that, Indy!

DougM and regularslinky like this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I believe you are correct that it was Steve Housden I saw that night... but I was incorrect in saying he was an original. He didn't show up until '82 or '83.... even later than Wayne Nelson. I wasn't aware of the drama he caused, all I know was they were fabulous that night.

5. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Yes I've seen YT clips of their recent shows and they are very slick.

Here's one when they were in transition, John Farnham had just replaced Glenn Shorrock on vocals. Housden is sooo smooth and original on his solo at the end.
    Farnhams's voice is sensational too

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    codamedia likes this.
  6. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Yez indeed!! The accordian player, Julien Labro, had me doing a complete rethink on what that instrument is all about. Frank Vignola, Vinne Raniolo and Julien Labro opened the show with this (before the whole band joined them):

Tommyd55 and brookdalebill like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Tom freakin Jones !

Yesss not even kidding

Probably around 10 years ago in Lancaster P.A
    my uncle was taking my grandmother to go see him as she is a fan and I guess she remembered that as a kid I loved listening to her best of Tom Jones cd
    So they took me along

It was a nice setting in a theater with an upper balcony where we were seated

I’ll tell you what it was pleasantly surprising he played about half of his old hits and the other half of the show played some new up beat rocking numbers and if I recall even maybe some electronic influenced music

He had a pretty decent backing band also

It was great he just had a wonderful energy and sang as well as he did on record he could have keep pace with a man a 1/4 of his age

I think one of the most surprising things was when the 60 and over women of the audience started throwing “garments” ;)
    Onstage

It was just awesome
    And a great show

Wasn’t really a surprise exactly but I didn’t know what to expect I guess I thought it would just be Tom Jones on a stool with a spotlight crooning away

thunderbyrd and brookdalebill like this.
  8. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I saw LRB open for Cheap Trick and Foreigner.

LRB had just here in the US with Long Way There, by then Cheap Trick was well on the way and Foreigner was just busting out big. All three of them put on a great show

9. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Billy Joel. Yep! Billy Joel.
    My wife is a huge fan, me at that time, not so much.
    For my wife's birthday got us some fantastic seats about 8 rows from front, in the center.
    He absolutely killed it, and totally blew me away.
    Left a big fan after that.

10. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Steely Dan all 4 times. What a group; they seriously lay it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

Taj Mahal at Wolftrap in the mid'90s.
    i won the tickets somewhere and had never heard of him before then. He totally blew me away and made me a fan. So much talent in one body should be illegal.

12. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Buddy Guy. He opened for Santana in Philly in 1994 and absolutely killed it. I think he was having a very good night.

13. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Prince.. saw him twice and what a show. WOW.. never expected it to be so much fun for me cus I get a bitter beer face watching Clapton after 10 minutes

14. grayback

grayback TDPRI Member

Judas Priest opened for Led Zep at a Day on the Green in Oakland in 1977. I had never heard of Priest and they blew my 17 year old mind. Zep was a huge disappointment.

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Went to see Guy Clark at the Variety Playhouse in the 1990s. Opening act was Gillian Welch. I had never heard of Welch, and this was back before the internet so there was no way youtube her or anything. My friends and I were just flat out amazed at her songwriting and performing. Went to the autograph table on the break, purchased her album on the spot, spoke with her and the guy who accompanied her, etc. My friends (all pickers) went back to my place later that night, immediately put the album on and broke out our guitars/fiddles/etc and stayed up late learning her songs and writing out the lyrics.

16. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Discovered Squeeze when they opened for Elvis Costello back in the early 80's in SF.

Glenn Tilbrook playing a tele through a Mesa Boogie sounded fantastic live.

Blue Bill likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

When I was about 32 (1987) I became good friends with a 19 year old girl and her boyfriend who lived in the apartment next to mine. She was a rock lover, and he was also a guitar player, and we'd jam together. He had a beautiful Ibanez Artist and Randall RG80. And she was into what I would call "Arena rock". Journey was probably her favorite band of all. I really liked early Journey (pre Steve Perry), because I was a big early Santana fan, and I loved Neal Schon and Gregg Rollie, but the Perry incarnation of the band wasn't my cup of tea, although I couldn't fault the musical proficiency. And I went to several concerts at Shoreline in Mt View with them and their friends (Bill Graham's last venue before his untimely death in a copter crash), and Def Leppard and Bon Jovi did nothing for me. I drank too many Bourbon and sevens to get through those two shows. But, then I went to see Bryan Adams and the Hooters (on the same bill) with them too, and I was blown away by both bands. The songwriting, musicianship, and overall quality of both bands was astounding, and turned me into a lifelong fan of both. I went out and bought all their CDs the following week. This was the Into the Fire tour for Bryan, and the One Way Home Hooters tour. Those are still my favorite albums from those bands, and I thought they were both at their peak at that time. I liked the earlier work from both bands, but found their later albums not as good as these two seminal works.
    That experience taught me to have a more open mind when it comes to music, and to look for great music outside the bubble in which I resided.
    Keith Scott is a great player, as are all the guys in the Hooters, who are all multi-instrumentalists.
    I also saw Walter Trout when he was playing lead guitar for Canned Heat before anyone had heard of him, and he blew me away too.

Joshiquad and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  18. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

19. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Rings star and his all star band.

I wasn’t expecting much but it rocked !! It had the guys from Toto, men at work, Santana, and they all played their stern hits too. For the last few songs I decided to move to the front and was maybe 10 feet from Ringo. He was so small ! When I saw him it started to sink in deeper that I was standing before a Beatle. Great show

20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Arlo Guthrie. A master storyteller.

Deeve likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.