Biggest Concert Surprises...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by snorville, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

The Verve were at a festival I went to in the ‘90s and I was ready to blow them off but they blew me away instead. I can’t get into their recordings at all.

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Louisville, fall of '73. edgar winter group. winter was good, but what blew me away was Brownsville Station warming up. they were a blast and it was years before I saw a band live that topped them.

Brownsville Station, to me, is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. they weren't pioneers of any new genre, didn't invent anything and weren't advanced musicians. but they understood rock and roll much better than most, they knew it is supposed to be FUN. RIP, Cub Coda, you were loved.

3. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

Gregor Samsa opening for The Appleseed Cast in Hamburg back in 2006.

Gregor Samsa opened a whole new door for me that night. I had never heard of them before but their song "Young and Old" just blew me away and I had tears running down my face.

I guess this show changed my life as it altered the way I experienced music from this day on. I am eternally thankful for that.

2 Headed Goat and thunderbyrd like this.
  4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I saw Huey with SRV opening. Out of all the shows I've seen that was the only one where the opener came back out to play a few songs with the headliner

5. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Paul Stanley - solo tour, circa 1989 in a small club. We got free tickets - the only reason we went. I had been a KISS fan as a kid, but I was over it by 1989.

I figured the tour was just another KISS money grab. I was expecting flash and slop. Wow, was I surprised. No pyro, no makeup, no BS. It was a great stripped down rock show. You could tell that Paul really, really loved performing and was having a blast playing a small room again. It felt almost like a private party. He and his band (no other KISS members) did most of his solo album and a few KISS tunes, mostly non-hits from the first couple of records.

Whatever else may be true about KISS, Paul is the real deal.

basher likes this.
  6. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

See my entry in the concert disappointment thread....

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

About 15 - 20 years ago a rendition of "The Little River Band" rolled through my city and played a large nightclub... setup for a concert evening. At the time the group had one original guitar player, and the bass player/lead vocalist (Wayne Nelson) had been around since the early 80's - almost original ;). IIRC, Wayne was the actual singer on their hit "Night Owls".

The club was notorious for "difficult sound"... but that night was spectacular. The sound was CD quality, the group sang and played to near perfection. I was always an LRB fan, my brother not so much.... but that changed that evening. He too was blown away at how great they were. The room was full of musicians out to see if any magic was still there - many of us still talk about that show to this day!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Back in the 80s, my buddy and I had tickets to see Supertramp. When they canceled at the last minute, we decided on a whim to go see some other concert. Next one up was Men At Work, with INXS opening (INXS had not really hit yet, this was around when Shabooh Shabah was released). I thought Men At Work was ok, but I certainly didn't expect the fantastic show we got.

9. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

About 10 years ago my wife and I went with friends to a concert featuring Frank Vignola and The Hot Club of Detroit. It was the first time either of us had ever gone to a gypsy jazz concert, so our expectations were modest at best. The show lasted just a few minutes under 3 hours, and we were in awe for every second of it. The virtuosity on display that night was breathtaking.

10. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Actually, I can reply to both threads at once, here...wife and I, years ago, went to see Lenny Kravitz open for The Cult. Lenny K absolutely blew the roof off the joint, and The Cult pretty much sucked. The Cult should've been humbled, but I doubt they cared...

11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the day Santana was in the area . Went to see them and they were as good as I had expected . Kool and the Gang opened for Santana , and while they are not my musical choice , they delivered one hell of a show . Footnote : after Kool and the Gand left , nearly 1/2 of the Spectrum emptied and seating for Santana was pretty much sit where you like .

12. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I went to see the Monkees in 1967.

There was some guy called Timmy Hendrik, or something, on first. He wasn't half bad.
    Not sure what happened to him. :p

DougM, scrimmer, duzie and 2 others like this.
  13. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Alanis Morissette Liverpool echo arena

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Joe Sumner opening for some guy named Sting this summer at Wolf Trap.

Sorry, that was a joke. Dad blew us away. Joe only has his job because of his infinitely more talented father...

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw Genesis in 1979 at the Frank Irwin Center here.
    I didn’t give a hoot about them, or prog rock in general.
    I went because I got “fixed up” with a blind date.
    The only blind date I ever went on, BTW.
    Anyways, they were great!
    They were light, funny, engaging, and very good.
    Chester Thompson and Phil Collins both drummed, at first, then PC fronted.
    Daryl Stuermer was also on guitar, along with Mike Rutherford, on doubleneck bass/guitar, a Shergold.
    The young lady was lovely and charming, too.

Ron R, DougM, catdaddy and 2 others like this.
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Here's a couple more serious acts:

A young ZZ Top opening for Alice Cooper at the old Cap Center circa '73-ish. Alice was great in their own right, but ZZ Top was awesome

Blondie opening for Elvis this summer at the Anthem. Not that Elvis was bad, no, he was very good. But Blondie was much better. Hard to believe Deborah is 74 y.o.!

U2 opening for DC's Slickee Boys at the old Bayou. Has anyone outside of DC heard of the Slickee Boys?? Enough said.

Fishbone opening for English Beat at the 930 Club. Well actually both acts were great.

I'm sure I'll think of a few hundred more later. I've seen many concerts throughout the decades.

snorville likes this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Those guys sing, play, entertain, and write their asses off!
    Always did.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

James Brown in a small club in the Hamptons 1986, most amazing musical thing that I ever saw, wasn't expecting much because he was an "old man" at the time (53 years old).

Blue Bill, 68tele and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Joshiquad

Joshiquad TDPRI Member

Charlie Pride circa 1981. I went with my parents to the earlier of 2 shows (at a county fair) and wasn't expecting much since I really wasn't a country fan. I was completely blown away by his singing, how he worked the crowd, and how tight his band was. I liked it so much I went back for the 2nd show.

brookdalebill likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Serious cats in that band. Both the accordion player and the clarinetist are world class.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.