Biggest Concert Surprises...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by snorville, Nov 12, 2019.

1. snorville

snorville TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

After seeing the "Biggest Concert Disappointments..." thread, I was wondering what concert experiences surprised you the most. If you are taking the time and spending the money to attend a show, you are usually familiar with at least one of the acts and have high expectations or you wouldn't be attending at all. However, sometimes there is that opener that blows you out of the water. Maybe you went to hang out with your friends and didn't really care about the show. Maybe it was one band in a huge festival lineup.

A couple stand outs for me...

Girls opening for Los Campesinos! in Dallas 2009. Never had heard of them before that show, but the performance was awe inspiring.

Ex Hex in San Diego 2019. A good friend was in town, and we wanted to go out. I wasn't familiar with Ex Hex, but I gave them the benefit of a doubt because of their label (Merge Records) and a quick listen on Spotify. They were playing at the Casbah, a smallish venue that's one of my favorites in town. Amazing artists playing a tight set. One of the best shows I've attended recently.

BorderRadio, marc2211 and nojazzhere like this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bright Channel opening for BJM.

ping-ping-clicka and marc2211 like this.
  3. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

In, I think, 1978, a friend called saying he had an extra ticket to See George Benson at the Michigan State Fair as his girlfriend couldn’t make it. I went along, even though I wasn’t a fan. All I knew of him was a few tunes getting radio play.

it turned out to be one of the best concerts I’d ever attended. Benson is of course a brilliant player, and he really knows how to connect with a crowd. He finished with “The Greatest Love” and had everyone on their feet- me included.

brookdalebill, marc2211 and snorville like this.
  4. BorderRadio

Valerie June opening for Jimmie Vaughan.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

At a vote for change concert in 2004 the lineup was Dixie chicks, someone else, someone else, James Taylor and someone else.

In the middle of James Taylor’s set, Neil Young walks out on stage with an old Martin and his wife Peggy and does five or six Neil Young songs.

wireless - and it sounded like the best acoustic you ever heard. Plus - Neil Young.

the place was levitating.

Then Neil Young and his wife Peggy left - and we had to go back to a James Taylor set. :confused::eek:

I went to the lobby to get a beer or 3...

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

GNR on this last tour. They were great. Granted not the entire original line up but man did Duff and Slash energize Axl and company's game.

Dave Pinner of Soul Asylum - I only knew a few of his solo songs going in, the show was excellent.

Brad -side project for Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam - Shawn Smith was the man, that show was off the hook and they closed the first one I saw with Unchained and blew the crowd away.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

Black Lips somewhere northeast of Tijuana

8. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Tool opening for Primus.

Tool later went on to headline some of their own shows.

somebody threw a bottle that hit Maynard in the face.
    Thankfully he didn’t bleed on his dress.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Dillinger Four and Good Clean Fun at Bill's in Boston, MA. The biggest surprise was when one of the guest singers for good clean fun's 'song for the ladies' finished her verse and then stage dived as soon as she passed the mic and I shifted my attention and accidentally caught me w/ her knee right in the eye:lol:

10. BorderRadio

Never saw them before, was only mildly interested but it was a date. Then I got it.

11. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Huey Lewis and the News

Yep.

They played a street festival my family and I happened to be at a few years ago. Near as I could tell from my hazy MTV memories, it looked like all of the original dudes....and Huey of course.

I wasn't expecting much, and because I'm not 9 years old anymore their vanilla doo-wop pop rock 'n roll isn't really my bag.

But they killed it!

They were tight, rehearsed, and played all of their big hits very much on the money.

Huey was funny, entertaining, played killer harmonica, and spent a lot of time interacting with the crowd.

Don't know who the guitar player was, but he got some space in many of the songs to stretch out a bit and was ripping it up pretty good...he sounded like he listens to a lot of Jeff Beck.

And the entire band did great 5-part harmony vocals.

I was seriously impressed. They had the whole place out of their seats and dancing. If they played again I would totally go see them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  12. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

In the early 90s a city near us was hosting a series of free Friday concerts in the park. It was about a 50 mile ride to get there so we didn't go to them all. One night we went to see someone we had never heard of, who was billed as playing "redneck jazz".

That was my intro to Danny Gatton.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

In 1969, Canned Heat was to play at Panther Hall in Ft Worth.....along with Bubble Puppy and Shiva's Headband. There may have been another local band, but I don't recall. My bandmates and I all went, and were really enjoying the show. At some point, it was announced that several members of Canned Heat were ill, not even in town, and they would not be playing. They also said that at a later date Canned Heat would come back and play a full show, free of charge. Bubble Puppy then played an extended set and were FANTASTIC! As we left, we were given vouchers or tickets for the return show. A few weeks later (as I recall) Canned Heat came back, with several support groups that (sadly) slip my mind, and played a great show for us. So....we got two full concerts for the price of one. Ticket prices?.....$4.00 in advance, $5.00 at the door. Yeah....those were the days. ;)

14. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

The Rolling Stones in Zurich in 2017.

I'm a huge Stones fan, but... The tickets were eye wateringly expensive (300Euro+ for the cheapest seats). I was convinced they were too old to put on a decent show. The stadium was huge so the sound would be rubbish... I didn't buy a ticket.

The day beforehand I was gutted and tried to get one... without luck.

My best friend was going with his wife, having paid a truly extortionate amount for 'golden circle' tickets.

The night before, his wife was called away on an urgent work assignment. He asked me to buy the ticket off him for a big discount, but I resisted as it was 750Euro+. I told him to sell it to try and get the money back as it was a sell out.

An hour before the gig he turned up at my desk at work and said 'we're off!' - gave me the ticket and said he didn't care about the price but wanted me to go as we are best mates, and I couldn't miss the gig as he knew what a huge fan I was. He'd seen them 10+ times and promised they'd be awesome.

Short story. They were utterly utterly amazing. Easily the best gig I've been to.

The sound was unbelievable, through to single string clarity. They had the energy of 20 year olds and they played for 3 hours doing all the hits. We were about 10 meters away from Keith and Mick all night.

The next day I took a bottle of expensive single malt to my friend, along with the full ticket price in cash. He kept the whisky but refused the money.

Amazing experience.

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We went to Subdudes show once and this guy comes out to open. He's rather large, huge messy Afro and canary yellow sunglasses. He says, I know what your thinking! WTF is this? His name is Vance Gilbert and he's really talented. Great singer and songwriter.

We went with friend to a show once wherein he bought the tickets randomly, none of us knew what we would be seeing. It turned to be Session Americana a band that's become favorites of ours.

Deeve likes this.
  16. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Sabbath opening for Grand Funk Railroad.
    Albert King opening for The Doors.

Two shocking and great experiences that wowed me with things I hadn’t heard before.

duzie and thunderbyrd like this.
  17. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

bender66 and Fretting out like this.
  18. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Awesome! Ex Hex are one of my favorites. They're like the best parts of Heart.

My big surprise: I went to see Sleater Kinney at the 930 Club in 2014, and a not-yet-famous Lizzo opened for them. Sleater Kinney didn't stand a chance.

19. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

And another - I've been lucky with surprises! :D

I went to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd a few years ago. He made a quick reference to Texas and drums which I missed as I was at the bar... And then ripped through a searing SRV selection.

I then realised it was Chris Layton playing drums...

duzie likes this.
  20. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Fishbone in September 1992.

Devin Townsend 2015.

I've been to many other great concerts of A-list artists and bands but they were not "surprises". Some exceeded my expectations, but did not "surprise" as such.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.