Biggest Concert Disappointments...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Texicaster, Nov 11, 2019.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Just saw Elton John in Anaheim.

You could tell he and his band were really good, but the sound quality was abysmal.

Very disappointing. It pretty much made the tickets a waste of money, plus I had taken the day off of work to get down there early, so I lost wages as well.

OTOH, I just saw Bauhaus and they blew me away, almost in a way that I could call "life changing."

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I'm blessed to have been to way more than my fair share of shows - as an old radio dog, it was part of the gig for more years than I care to recall.

EVH, slobbering drunk at Van Andel circa 2003 or 2004...crying on the mic and expressing his gratitude to the fans for putting up with him. He was sloppy and uncoordinated, and his solo section sounded like a high school jam. I'd seen a lot of VH shows over the years...but this was the last one I'd ever go to.

G-N-R had a spectacular meltdown in texas in 88 or so - after coming on really late, they played just a few angry tunes before Axl pitched a tantrum and walked off. It was a huge disappointment.

Ozzy. Enough said.

drlucky, smartsoul72 and Torren61 like this.
  3. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Dickie Betts circa 2005. Walked out at the break.

Rumblur and Torren61 like this.
  4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

ZZ Top on the "Eliminator" tour. Absolute worst mess that I have ever seen/heard on a live stage.

Rumblur, brookdalebill and Torren61 like this.
  5. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That wouldn't have worked too well.

Bassman8 and Torren61 like this.
  6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

That was back in the day when putting different genres on the same ticket was hip. Example: Muhlenburg College, Allentown, PA 1974. ZZ Top opened the show, followed by Earth, Wind, & Fire, then the headliner, Uriah Heep?!?! Go figure! I was there for the Heep, but I’m telling ya, that was some concert. August I think, outside, and still daylight when ZZ hit the stage.

drlucky, Rumblur, Wildcard_35 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I've heard he's brilliant when he's on, but Bob Dylan was beyond bad when I saw him. Sounded like a bunch of drunk guys each playing a different song while he mumbled. I did not recognize a single thing that was played. Fortunately, I had gotten the ticket for free, and Santana (who opened) was really good.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Johnny Winter, on my 18th birthday, June 5, 1975.
    He was DEAFENING!
    My girlfriend and I left after 2 songs.
    Opening act D/FW’s Point Blank were tight and great.
    The Police, at the same venue City Coliseum, circa 1980, same reason.
    Buddy Guy, circa 1986, at Antones.
    Loud, overplaying, over-bending, shriek-ey singing.
    I left, disappointed and wondering what the fuss is all about.
    All in all, almost every other major act I have seen/heard were great, and a great value.
    They gave me great memories!

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Buddy is a huckster, and has bad tone IMHO. I see him on TV and he is so full of himself. Having his own club in Chicago is really his salvation...I don't see how he could make a living playing guitar without it.

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I saw Santana at Leeds University in 1976, it was one of the best gigs I have been to. So when they appeared at Wembley Arena in 1980 I managed to get tickets, centre stage in the third or fourth row. Everyone around me was going wild, but to me Santana and the band just seemed to be going through the motions. It just left me cold.

I don't know if it really was a bad night for the band, or if I had just changed. Four years as a student watching punk bands and the likes of Dr Feelgood, Elvis Costello, Blondie, Nick Lowe, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, The Pretenders and the like in sweaty student union halls, followed by a year in London watching Niine Below Zero, the Blues Band, Rocket 88 in The Marquee and other clubs left me in a different place, one where Santana did not fit?

11. PCollen

Yeah...probably had Danny Gatton on his mind. I read that Danny walked up to the stage Roy was playing on in a DC club one night, and asked him "Why don't you play something interesting (or worthwhile). "

That Cal Webway and Torren61 like this.
  12. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Ricky Nelson at the Orange County Fair, around 1984. His twin sons Matthew and Gunnar were the opening act called "Nelson." They weren't horrible, but they weren't very old at the time, so we cut them some slack. They may have had one "hit" at the time, I don't remember.

They finish their 5 song opening, and the roadies start getting set up for Ricky, and the sons come out after about 40 minutes and announce that he was "stuck in traffic in his tour bus." So, the twins come back out, strap up and go through their limp set AGAIN.

Okay, Ricky FINALLY gets there and hour or so late, and he's COMPLETELY wasted. Awfully drunk, or awfully high, take your pick.

Slobbering and slurring through mis-timed songs, we thought he might just keel over at the mic.

He died soon after that in a plane crash, tragically.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    smartsoul72 and Torren61 like this.
  13. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

CSN at the Mann Music Center in Philly in '85 (or so). Expensive, boring show with David Crosby looking like a total zombie. It was before his arrest and the publicity of his drug issues but it didn't take much to realize he was in really bad shape. The combination of feeling ripped off and wondering why they were letting him appear in such a state really bothered me. Yes I realize the circumstances were difficult but at the time I was just highly annoyed. Luckily the Neil Young and the International Harvesters show a few weeks later made up for it and then some.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Pretenders; Portland, 1984.

I could swear they were lip-synching.

At one point in the show the music stopped...all of it...at the same instant...drums, guitars, keys...bang...dead silent. No one or two additional drum/cymbal strikes...just cut.

Like the tape broke.

Chrissie Hynde had a look of complete surprise on her face, like being caught in mid sentence mouth open but nothing coming out...and after a couple of awkward moments started in yelling at some imaginary security guys for interfering with someone dancing up front...

Except there wasn't any security guys interfering with dancing up front. I was four rows back and there wasn't any dancing up front...or security.

Up until that, I was "super impressed*" with how much like the recording their live performance sounded. Having been performing myself for almost 20 years at that point...

But when the music unexpectedly stopped...I don't care how good you are...

Nobody's that tight.

(* read that as having some doubt)

Torren61 likes this.
  15. PCollen

I saw Elton last Spring on his Goodbye tour (which will last 4 years). Our seats were center rear, and I mean at the REAR of the Ft. Lauderdale BB&T Center at Sunrise. First half of show was great, but second half , starting with Funeral for a Friend/Love lies Dying, for some reason they cranked the sound up so loud we couldn't tell what song was being play...it was just noise. We had to cover our ears...it was actually painful. A few days later was the BIG MISTAKE in Orlando, where the Amway Center was full and people waiting for the show to start for half and hour when at 8:30 it was announced that the show was cancelled because Elton had an ear ache or infection.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Led Zep around 1977, Madison Sq Garden.
    They were loaded and Page got more applause for swigging out of a bottle of Jack Daniel's than he did for playing guitar.
    Aerosmith, maybe 1978 or 9 at Giants Stadium.
    Hammered and horrible.
    I left.

drlucky, Stringbanger and Torren61 like this.
  17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Big Dead fan, been to many, many concerts, and inconsistency is part of the secret sauce with the Dead, but in the later years when Jerry was really using, I found some of the concerts to be unbearable, personally and musically. It was like hearing heroin -- dragging, lumbering, unending... Having heard so many great Dead shows, these spoke for themselves, and the truth was made permanently clear all too soon, and sadly. The awful thing was being surrounded by people who were pretending it was still 1967 and that they were at the epicenter of musical happiness, when they were really hearing a dead man walking. Way worse than disappointing -- personal disappointment didn't even enter into it. You were seeing something really bad unfold. And you were enabling it.

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Milli Vanilli redux!

19. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Buddy of mine was one of the featured artists at Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp a while ago along with Dickie. Dickie was as disappointing in his waning years as he was stellar in his prime. Just goes to show,

"It's better to burn out..."

Dickie was the last act up at 2018's Great South Bay Festival on Long Island. The promoters and sound contractor conspired to make is a misser from the get- go. They had three stages with three high powered PA systems. The main stage had another stage facing it less than a hundred yards away with nothing in between except for a row of Porta Potties. The VIP tent was halfway between the two stages. The promoters lined the acts up so there were three acts playing at the same time. Problem was you could hear at least two of the three acts simultaneously and not at all to good effect.

It was the one show ever where I thought we should hire a few of Long Island's prolific lawyers and open a class action suit against the promoters. It sucked. Any idiot should have been able to tell several high powered PA systems facing each other was a bad idea and worse, they just let it ride during the festival.

Dickie came out last and struggled badly. We don't buy festival tickets to see musicians struggle. There are enough epic bummers in life, don't get me started... We go to shows to put epic bummers in the background for a while. Even better if there's show afterglow, a show we'll talk about for years to come.

Ending on a happy note, Peter Frampton was one of those shows (show afterglow) this summer. Frampton has always, always, always put on a memorable show.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Futureman continues to wear the pirate hat!

This reminded me of the other really disappointing concert experience I had: Chuck Berry at Blueberry Hill in St. Louis, winter ‘99 if I remember right. Seemed like a thrown-together aimless mess, with Chuck kind of bumbling around and all the musicians trying to support what he was doing but not sure what was coming next. It suuuuuucked. Seems like Chuck’s 335 sounded pretty good, tonally, but at that point, so what?

Sharing the bill was Susan Tedeschi, and I was underwhelmed
    with her act too. Seemed like she had decent pipes and was belting it out, but the songs and arrangements struck me as boring blues cliches. She was playing a blue Tele with little animal stickers on it, but it sounded like neck pickup/clean tone to me, not hair-frizzing teeth-shattering extreme Tele tonal excitement. Polite Tele/recycled blues = not my jam.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.