Bigger output transformer?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tokairic, Feb 24, 2020.

1. tokairic

tokairic TDPRI Member

I am no expert but I have built a Vyse Amps Fender Princeton Deluxe kit. The standard mains transformer is 25w and mine has a 40w mains transformer from Vyse to try to run the amp a little cooler. Its quieter than an 18w Trinity S111 I built. If I want more volume from the Vyse Fender clone, can I simply fit a bigger wattage output transformer?

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It should help. My Princeton has a Vibrolux power transformer and a Deluxe output transformer. It has tons of headroom over a stock Princeton.

LudwigvonBirk likes this.
  3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Not trying to be picky, but trying to understand your question better. When you say Princeton Deluxe - what kind of amp is it? That's not a normal amp name/model. Is it a Princeton or a Deluxe?

A standard 25 watt mains transformer, but yours has a 40 watt mains transformer -- is that the power transformer or output transformer? You usually don't see power transformers listed as output wattage. That's usually output transformers.

And "bigger" output might be bad depending on your power transformer. Bigger usually means lower impedance. If it's a struggling, stock PT with an 8 ohm OT, and you slap a 4 ohm on there and double the current draw with the same PT...you're probably going to be replacing a power transformer soon as well.

A few more details & specifics would help get your answer.

4. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

The output transformer is not going to increase your volume. Clean headroom, yes, but not volume. (Ok clean headroom may raise perceived volume). But that also depends on the circuit.

A low efficiency speaker would lower your volume.

Not driving your tubes fully would lower your volume.

Are you leaking signal somewhere?

That amp should push about 12 watts at 1Khz.

What the hell is a Princeton Deluxe?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

A bigger OPT will give you more bass and a better cleanlyness at high volume. If the impedance stays the same, the improvement in power will be uniquely due to lower DCR of the primary of the bigger OPT.

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.