Big stage experience

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by shtuck, Sep 27, 2020.

1. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

upload_2020-9-27_15-43-51.png

Anyone here ever been on or play on a stage like this? Im wondering what it sounds like? Assuming your stage volume is not deafening, you have sound coming from your amp and the monitors like you normally would, but now there are those big columns hanging out in front of you in the air blasting you out over the audience. Do you feel the extra volume more than you hear it? You're behind them, so when you strike a chord or a note, do you feel in your feet more? Does the floor shake?

Fearnot likes this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

That's a large "outdoor" stage so that is what I will comment on. Keep in mind... a large "indoor" stage (arena) is completely different!

It's about coverage, not volume. If your stage sound is deafening, then you are too loud :lol:. Let the monitors do their job.

I actually find stage sound to be lower on stages like this... because you have far more control than you would on a small stage. These "outdoor" stages often sound really "dry"... so you may feel the desire to turn up reverb/delay, but (IMO) it is best not to! Let the techs take care of that!

IME... not really. If the subs are located under the stage it can cause low end issues, especially with acoustic instruments. But if they are de-coupled from the stage it's not an issue. As for hearing it, that depends on the landscape - literally! If you are on the bald prairies you are not likely to hear anything from the fronts, or very little. If you are in the mountains/hills, in a downtown core, or even an amphitheater you will certainly hear the fronts.... and the delay associated ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Jakedog, teletail and dannyh like this.
  3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

this ^^^, IME.

4. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

The largest crowd I ever played for was about 4,000 in an indoor arena on the Penn State campus. It was for their annual dance marathon charity, and by the time we went on those kids had been on their feet for 18 hours.

I was playing bass, and at the time my rig had to be mic’d, which caused a bit of consternation on the part of the sound guys. That said, the stage volume was not particularly loud, and the monitor mix was really good. We had friends in the audience (not dancers) who said the sound was huge on the floor.

This was in late 2000, and the band had only been a thing for about six months. I was scared ****less. Afterwards we partied late in a hotel. It was my one and only rock star moment.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

Thanks guys for the replies. I wondered about bounce back sound, or delays...i imagine that could be distracting. Interesting that the sound is dry, but I guess that would be best. You just play the best you can, and the sound is not distracting. Let the FOH guys handle the big-ness of it. Strange to think it's so loud and powerful out in the audience, but on stage it can sound the same as a well tuned in rehearsal space. Cool.

6. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

depends on the sound guy. A bad sound guy in that situation could ruin your day ;-)

Jakedog likes this.
  7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Are they set up under a bridge?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.