Big Muff Pi or clone on your worship board?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by ast370, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

Anyone using a BMP for contemporary worship? i am looking to push the solos a bit more and was curious if anyone else is using that type of dirt pedal... songs by hillsong, jesus culture, and the like.

Arden

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I don’t think I’ve seen fuzz pedals on a lot of worship boards, however, I can see how it could work well. Especially in more of a David Gilmour type application to help with a little boost/sustain.

3. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I've had one for the last few years. Great for long sustaining notes with a fair bit of delay/reverb. I first had a NYC BM, then got the Muffuletta, then Hoof now the reissue Triangle.

ast370 likes this.
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don't use fuzz. matter of fact, right now, i'm not using any effects at all. I've got some great pedals and need to get a board together, but I keep putting it off.

5. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

yeah its the Gilmour sustain sound that is driving the idea. I was looking at a "civil war" type clone.

6. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Civil war is great. You have a lot of choice. The EHX green Russian reissue is the same circuit as well as the new Deluxe BM. Hoof is also similar. FTR, Gilmour uses a Rams Head circuit.

7. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

The Rams head seemed to have a bit more gain than I want and the civil war does the sustain almost as well. They are all very close though. I was looking at the Vick Audio 1861

8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Juneau Mike was extolling the virtues of the Muff here not that long ago. I think it is a great addition to any board, including one used primarily for worship music. I have a Muff variant made by Skreddy, that I set up for Gilmourish lead tones. I also set it up for really bottom heavy overly saturated rhythm tones set for a wall of distortion which sounds great and lends a cool effect when building a song or a chorus dynamically. I set the overall volume very differently for those two uses as one is a lead tone and the other one rhythm.

JuneauMike and ast370 like this.
  9. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

what is your primary guitar with the BMP setup?

10. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Personally, I use the Karma Suture (harmonic percolator update) or a Mini Germanium Fuzz Face - but only once in a while. I have a Dirt Transmitter on a parallel chain on one board, but only used it once or twice (for the low-bias velcro/gate as notes rang out).

I see no reason not to use a big muff - especially if your band doesn't have a fiddle player and you need a "singing" solo.....

11. CapnCrunch

For singing lead tones I have to admit that I think Strat single coils are the king with the Muff (to my ear and for my tastes anyway) though a Tele gets in the ball park especially with the neck pickup. For heavy rhythm, I really like Gibson style humbuckers i.e. Les Paul. I also have a Tele and a Jazzmaster that have TV Jones filtertrons that sound great through a Muff. They sound more like single coil guitars than they do humbucking guitars to me.

12. islander

islander Tele-Meister

Mmmmmmmm BMP and riffing/sustaining leads... like turkey, stuffing and gravy... currently don't have a Muff, but an old (vintage?!?) Rat2 for sustaining leads. Really want one of the new reissues. Possibly the triangle, a green Russian style, or failing that, a Scarab Deluxe.

13. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Strat set-ups are generally better for the Muff lead stuff. But, there is something magical about a really good Tele bridge pickup in this role...

I just got my Filtertron Tele - still experimenting a bit (maybe I'll do more than play it through my Vox MSB sometime soon - maybe not!)

14. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

i typically use a PRS 594 but I would like to use my Strat or Tele more but i haven't gotten the lead tones out of them I tend to need. We only have one electric and sometimes no Acoustic guitar so I have relied on the HB guitars.

15. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

also, how is the noise from the pedals? muffs are sometimes noisy??

arden

16. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Anything with that much gain is noisy if you don't play. I turn them off or turn the volume down on my guitar when I'm not actually playing note. Never had a problem with noise over a played note...

CapnCrunch likes this.
  17. CapnCrunch

+1

18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I'm not a connaisseur of fuzz, I just thought it was cool to get away with playing a Big Muff in a Presbyterian church.

Otherwise they are awesome to play with just for fun. I love the Smashing Pumpkins guitar work. Noisy but fun.

19. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

My church is also Presbyterian, and no complains with the BM :)

And I'm a big SP fun as well.

JuneauMike likes this.
  20. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

I'll have to get my hands on one soon. what are some songs you have used one on (in church not SP lol) if you can remember specifics or are you mostly doing swells with them? i just switched out my clean boost with another OD so i can stack drives for a more saturated lead tone but i wouldn't call it violin like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.