Big Muff, Fuzz Face, or other?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TCapp, Jun 24, 2014.

1. TCapp

TCapp Former Member

I'm back with another question about pedals! My love of all thing music has gotten me into trying new things and that meant building a pedalboard for recreational use. So far you have all been very helpful in giving me advice and recommendations. Which brings me to you for more "guidance"!

So here is the deal, I would like to add a fuzz or fuzz type of pedal to my rig. The reasons for doing this are simple, I love the fuzz sounds that I grew up listening to. Not to mention that I have been listening to Gary Clark Jr for the last week and he has a killer fuzz tone.

I have been doing my research on the interwebs like a good boy and have come across many fun sounding pedals. I know a few things that I am looking for in this pedal search:
    1) I actually like Silicon better than the Germanium. It just sounds more fuzzy to me but I am openminded.
    2) I am a teacher on vacation with no pay check until september, so price is an issue. Ideally I would like to stay under $100, but could go up to $125 if need be.
    3) I know for certain I do not want a Rat pedal, so don't even try to convince me.
    4) Some pedals I am considering are as follows:
    Silicon FF mini
    Little or Nano Big Muff
    Big Muff with Tone Wicker
    MXR Classic 108
    Fulltone Octafuzz (this is simply because Gary Clark Jr uses one :p)

I finally got around to trying out a NYC Big Muff Pi today, and boy let me tell you it was pretty fun. The damn thing is just way to big so I did not bring it home. I did get some great fuzz like tones out of it though. I know that a Big Muff is technically not a fuzz, but its not an overdrive either. It walks the line pretty well, and to my ears is more towards a fuzz.

So long story short, I would like to hear what you all have to say. Keep in mind that this pedal will be for messing around, and blues lead tones.

Thanks guys!
    TCapp

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd go for the mxr, or for a little bit less, a dingotone classic 70s fuzz

3. bwikoff

bwikoff TDPRI Member

I'd try out as many as you can and pick the one that impresses you the most. Fuzz can be pretty addictive; you might end up with all of them later on.

For me, the good old NYC Big Muff Pi works great, I've found a way to use it in a band context, and it sounds like me. So, if that pedal speaks to you, by all means, go for it. I've heard that the double muff has a circuit similar to the fuzz face, and it's rather cheap at around $56, so it might one for you to look into as well.

4. dharleyfan

dharleyfan Tele-Meister

I've played a lot of fuzz pedals through the years, and one of the best I have EVER played is a pretty new pedal. The Velvet Fuzz, made by Brian Wampler, it is very organic sounding and very versatile, goes all the way from, almost clean, to sounding like distortion, and everything in between, I love it. Check out some sound demo's of it on youtube, I think you'll like it.

5. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

The Dunlop mini FF pedals are great. Of the Electro-Harmonix pedals, you should try the Bass Big Muff; it's great for guitars when set to Normal, in my opinion their best Big Muff. Both those are under $100, so good value too.

Yesterday I picked up a used Way Huge Swollen Pickle for $75, which is a type of Big Muff, with extra bells on. I had fun with that today... Lot of pots to twiddle with...

6. superjay

superjay Tele-Meister

I've got a Little Big Muff which I really like...classic Big Muff tone, built like a tank and it takes up less real estate on my pedal board. I like to run my Boss SD-1 through it to add more color.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Chicago Stompworks is building some muffs in a smaller enclosure for around $100.

8. Pratfall

Pratfall TDPRI Member

Fuzzy Wuzzys

I really like the Velvet Fuzz. That is my go-to pedal - BUT (everybody I know has a big "but"...)

If you want to be tempted to invest a lot more than you're currently thinking of investing, I highly recommend you check out the Jesse Davey fuzz pedal.

Search it on YouTube - there are a few good videos including ones by Jesse himself on this pedal. I just bought one after wincing at the price - $399US - but after seeing Jesse play live through one, I had to have it. Before you call me names for spending that much, check out the pedal. It's worth a bit more. That much more? Maybe not. BUT (there's that but again) I am a creature of impulse and basically have no willpower. So I bought one. I am not sad. It's a little slice o' heaven.

:)
    jw

9. Pratfall

Pratfall TDPRI Member

Oh, and by the way, I follow it with a Blackstone Appliances Overdrive to really bump it up into superfuzzland. :) Sonic rapture.

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

You're right about the Rat and the Big Muff.
    I just got the Nano Muff PI for fuzz-freakouts and the Nano Hot Tubes for blooz. Some store on the 'bay has both for about $130 plus 4 or 5 free cables. Mucho bang for the (teacher's) buck.

11. beexter

beexter Tele-Meister

That being the case, I would think a silicon Fuzz Face would be a better option. They tend to clean up better when you roll down the guitar volume and give you a variety of sounds. They can be finicky about placement though. The MXR 108 is really good and has a switchable buffer that makes it play nicer with others. I also have a Tonefactor Huckleberry (the Grandaddy of the current Mojo Hand Crosstown Fuzz) which is great but if you can find/ afford one, the Skreddy Lunar Module is exceptional and would be my first choice. It can almost get into muff territory as well. Great, great pedal.

12. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

bmf_sm.jpg

If your budget is constrained then you should check out the ENO BMF. It's their version of a Big Muff and it sounds gorgeous.

13. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

I've tried a bunch of fuzz and finally settled with a hendrix fuzzface. Cleans up great without being overly wooly and it's totally affordable. I dig the mini fuzzes but there is just something about the classic huge round spaceship that I am drawn to.

14. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Dunlop mini fuzz face and the nano Big muff are very good. I prefer the muff but wish it would clean up like the fuzz face. The fuzz face is quirky and sounds and acts differently depending on where you place it in your pedal chain. I love the way the fuzz face sound changes depending on the volume control on your guitar.

15. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

I just ordered the MXR Classic 108. I can't wait :p:p

16. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

Check this thread out. It looks like Gary Clark Jr has switched to Dunlop/MXR.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1177192

It shows his old board with the Analogueman Stuff and the Fulltone and his new setup with the Hendrix mini Fuzz Face, MXR La Machine (Octave fuzz based on the old Foxx) etc.

I think the big sound on Numb is a Fuzz >> Octave Fuzz >> Overdrive.

You say you are free for the summer so why not do some DIY?

Take a look at the excellent http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/

King of Tone http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/analogman-king-of-tone.html

Foxx/La Machine http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/foxx-tone-machine.html

Sweet hybrid Fuzz http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/dam-dragnfly.html

That would give you a sweet rig for a few days work and around $150.

17. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

If you are trying to cop the above fuzz tone you deff want to look into something liek the MXR 108 Fuzz (see below)

The fuzz structure is very similar, just adjust the EQ.

18. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is TONE really the control that needs the big knob?

19. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

A few weeks ago I was at a concert of Gary Clark Jr in Paradiso in Amsterdam. It was great!!! What a huge sound. I did have a good view on his pedalboard but I didn't take a picture (stupid).:cry:

20. TCapp

TCapp Former Member

That guys for all of the help. I ended up buying a swollen pickle that I tried out today. Was able to get that big sound I wanted for leads and just awesome music.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.