BIG Hawk In Back Yard.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

My birding lens is "only" a 400mm and while nice is fairly modest at $2k.

While a big lens will help, even with it,there's no substitute for getting close and the only way you can get close is to get invisible as much as possible. It's very much like hunting.

2. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

I took this yesterday from my back porch.

image-145711709.jpg

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Nice red tail!

4. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

Forget the lens, muttcaster will just climb up the tree and grab a hawk for you!

5. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

We have a bird feeder out back under a tree. It also serves as a feeder for the hawks. They know to take advantage of the situation. Amazing how they can swoop down through hedges, trees and limbs effortlessly. They especially like dove.

6. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

He was big & visited the same roost yesterday morning & evening.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

some birds in my backyard this morning.... Coucal...

we call them scrub pheasants.... mainly a ground bird.....

I've had a pair hanging around my yard for years.... I only ever see one at a time. patrolling the grounds.... scuttling about or sitting on a fence post checking things out... fairly timid.... not the best flyers....

Hawk food probably...:lol:

I saw this one this morning calling and sitting out on the boat. As I was looking at it I saw something small creeping along the side of the boat in the grass... looked like a rodent..... I thought the coucal was hunting it....

the adult bird saw me looking out the window and flew across to a small tree, making calla and fluffing up it's feathers.... look at me, look at me.... i'm wounded kinda thing....

I got out the binoculars and looked back at the boat and saw a small critter, a bird.... which I realised was a baby Coucal.... being coached around by the parent....

way cool... I'd never seen a baby one before.... I walked over and sat there and took a snap or two.... before leaving them be.....:cool:

Attached Files:

8. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

So cool.
    I don't remember ever seeing big birds like this while growing up (in the 70's) and now it seems every light pole and tall tree by me has a big hawk of some kind on it. Are they really that much more populous now, or did I just not notice them before?
    Also we have lots of Bald Eagles here, they're supposed to be regal majestic birds but all I ever see them do is eat road kill... :)

9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

The resident Bald Eagles were quite active and vocal yesterday at Conowingo .
    Even got to watch as one adult tried , but failed , to steal a fish from another sub-adult Eagle .
    There was some sort of camera club or bird club there with food , etc.
    They were charmed by my Airedales who were on their best behavior for once . Love them dogs .

10. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

As far as hawks go, I think it's an awareness thing. I see them all the time now too. I didn't when I was younger.

Eagles are very majestic...they are also opportunist :)

11. KevinB

Well, we've - thankfully - cut down a lot on pesticides. With birds of prey being typically right at the top of the food chain, they were particularly vulnerable.

And there is less indiscriminate shooting of them going on now that we know just how important these birds are to our ecology.

Yeah, bald eagles aren't that majestic. They're one step up from vultures really and depend heavily on carrion, especially dead fish, for food. Now golden eagles are a different story. They truly are majestic.

12. rockingjoe

rockingjoe TDPRI Member

Did he kill the kangaroo or did something else kill the kangaroo? poor thing

13. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I don't see many red-tailed hawks around here anymore. It's gotten too built up.

But there is another kind that's been hanging out around here lately. Smaller, grey with spots on his tummy. Likes to munch on my doves.

14. KevinB

I live just 30 miles or so from NYC and we still see lots of them. I've even seen them in Union Square Park in Manhattan, and of course "Pale Male" nests on 5th Avenue close to Central Park.

Hmmmm....a "dove muncher"?

Cooper's hawk maybe?

[​IMG]

15. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

American kestrel maybe?

image-1076336344.jpg

16. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I looked around on the innermess, and looks like either a sharp-shinned hawk or a coopers hawk. I think it's adult...he looks the same as last year.

17. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

This interesting because what you are calling the Red Tailed Hawk there is very similar to our Common Buzzard (buteo buteo), basically a small 4-ft wingspan eagle (aka "tourists eagle")
    [​IMG]

Our Sparrowhawk, a smaller relative of the Goshawk, looks something like a large pigeon in flight. Their favourite food.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.