1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Big Green Egg versus Kamado

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I've had the Big Green Egg in the past and loved it. I'm considering a Kamado. Do any of you have any sage advice on one versus the other?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I dunno what they are. Sex toys?

3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I don't own either but I have friends that do, and both love theirs equally so... I guess that's not much help. I've always wanted one of these kinds of grills but I can't seem to spend the money on em, because I spent the money on amps and guitars LOL!!! :)

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Oooooohh!

Telekarster likes this.
  5. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No experience with the competitors to the BGE. But after 6+ years and with 350 or so cooks (I use it year round, regardless of weather in the northeast) the base cracked. No idea why.

I called up the hardware store where I got it, sent a picture, and about a week later had a new base at no cost. I was pleasantly surprised.

nojazzhere and swervinbob like this.
  6. pypa

pypa Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Seems if you were happy before and the next option poses risks that you MIGHT not be happy, why not go with what you loved? I do read that it was in the past so maybe not a permanent love? Relationships are so difficult.

I have an Oklahoma Joe charcoal grill I bought at Builder's Square oh so long ago, so ignore my input.

Bluesboy3 likes this.
  8. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Better get a bigger goodie drawer...

I'm giving up on Weber kettles--I'm on my second one where the bottom vent has burned out. A company called Napoleon makes a kettle-style cooker where the ash can also serves as the lower damper without any moving parts, so I'm thinking about getting one of those and converting my Weber to gas with replacement/aftermarket burner parts--best of both worlds.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I've been a loyal BGE user for 20 years (they're based here in Atlanta so we've known about them a long time) and will continue to do so. That said, I know some folks with Kamado Joes and from what I can tell they perform similarly to a BGE. Although they're similarly priced, Kamado Joe includes more components with the purchase so it's a little more bang for the buck. BGE does have a great lifetime warranty that they honor -- they're serious about a BGE being a lifetime investment. Lastly, if it matters at all BGE components are made in Mexico while Kamado Joe's are made in China.

The main advice I have for anyone considering this type of grill is that once you use a good quality kamado style grill there's really no going back. I love that you can do everything from long low temp smoking at 200 degrees to 800-900 degree brick oven pizza/steak searing temps and everything in between. No gas grill, smoker, or some stupid expensive Traeger with wifi offers as much flexibility as a high end ceramic kamado style grill.

Telecaster1954 and buster poser like this.
  10. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Agreed re no going back!

516ED443-C445-4CEC-AD5D-724E8EF8A31C.jpeg B66B4BE1-2931-4A23-B5C8-DB9304C6037C.jpeg CF4E3524-22DF-460A-AC8B-9253770C47D5.jpeg 21484E78-5973-4F31-BF6C-EF5601E4A0C4.jpeg

Fretting out, Stubee and Lawdawg like this.
  11. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I saw one at TSC the other day called “the acorn”

Looked pretty stout

I dream of one of these bad boys

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

BGE all the way. Once you learn how to adjust the heat it works extremely well for low and slow cooking.

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Cpb2020 likes this.
  14. Dr Chim Richalds

Dr Chim Richalds TDPRI Member

I agree with nearly everything in your post. BGE and KJ are similar in quality - they are the two main Kamado style grill manufacturers in the USA... I know other brands exist such as Akorn, but BGE and KJ seem to be of the highest tier.

I personally have a KJ Classic II that I purchased a few years ago and I love it. I have also checked out BGE's and they also seem extremely nice and well built, but you pay extra for nearly everything other than the ceramic grill itself. I also took advantage of one of the Costco "road shows" where they offer the KJ grills at a discount. I'm not sure if the road shows are still a thing.

From your comment, I think what it really comes down to is the warranty. From what I recall the main parts of the KJ grill have a lifetime or extended warranty (like the ceramic grill itself) while other parts have a more limited warranty. I have had to engage KJ warranty once on one of the more minor parts and it was a breeze with customer service... but it was within the limited warranty period.

It sounds like BGE might have a better warranty - in that you spend the money up front but only pay once. If this is true, and I had known this a few years ago - I may have waited to save a little more for the BGE because they function nearly the same.

Only thing I would have to respectfully and personally disagree with you based on my situation and experience is that I still need my gas grill. Although the KJ produces superior grilled/smoked foods in almost every regard, I simply don't always have the time to get it going in time to feed my family dinner between the end of the work day and a reasonable dinner time. without special equipment, it does take me approximately 45 minutes start to finish just to clear out the ash from the previous cook, fill with charcoal, light, and sufficiently ignite the coals so the food doesn't cook in that nasty acrid smoke (I use Royal Oak exclusively). I know there are special tools and methods that can speed this up a little, but I just go the parafin/sawdust lighter cube method. Also, if cooking for a large party, it helps to have both grill surfaces going to divide and conquer.

PSA:

Oh and one more thing - I haven't seen recent BGE's, but the KJ grills have an "airlift" hinge on them which is essentially a spring loaded hinge that helps you easily lift the lid. This is great and works wonders -HOWEVER - the high potential energy of the spring hinge and band that goes around the lid is EXTREMELY dangerous if you mess with it. The KJ actually comes with special additional parts (that aren't explained whatsoever in the owners manual) that you need to use if you mess or need to change the hinge/band. There are many posts in the KJ Facebook group of people with significant (Emergency Room level) gashes in their face/head/body because they went to change a part and the band exploded at them.

Lawdawg likes this.
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I do not like green eggs, you see
    I do not like them, @Bluesboy3

drf64 and nojazzhere like this.
  16. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

My guess is they both do the job. I have a 30yr old Kamado and it still works good, though I did crack repairs on it using fireplace cement and I now use firebricks for the base. Parts are too expensive.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I very recently bought a Char-Griller Akorn (with a "K", Fretting out). It's a Kamado-style smoker/grill. There was no way I could justify what a Big Green Egg costs. If I understand correctly, (and please tell me if I'm wrong) the BGE IS a Kamado-style, that has a ceramic insides.....the Akorn (and other Kamado types) are steel, double-walled units. People will debate the merits of one vs. the other, but the MAIN difference is weight. The ceramic ones are much heavier.
    The one I got is a smaller version, 14" grill diameter, and I've used it several times with good results. They recommend lump charcoal over briquets. Lump charcoal seems easy to light, and will often last for a couple of "sessions". (simply close both top and bottom dampers when finished cooking, the charcoal will go out, and can be used again for the next time.
    And BTW.....my small Akorn only cost about $160, compared to over $1000 for a BGE. For the amount I'll use it, that's a bargain. PLUS.....it's small and light enough to take other places easily, and if I find I need more cooking surface, I'll buy another, either the same size or larger.

Bootstrap and Fretting out like this.
  18. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I don't believe from the numerous smoking and grilling forms that I belong to that they are substantially different from one another. They both work on the same principle.

If you want to try something completely different, consider an off-set smoker. I have a Horizon. The beauty of them is that if you want to do a whole suckling pig, in one piece, you can. They look amazing. First time I saw one, I thought holy crap, shot guns and banjos!

Lawdawg and nojazzhere like this.
  19. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Do you recommend any particular brand?

Jared Purdy likes this.
  20. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm of the opinion that with offset smokers, those that are made with 1/4 steel are the best. They hold heat the best, and they're absolutely the most durable.

I'm not familiar with all of the brands, but I have a Horizon classic 16". I can do a butterflied 23 Lb pig on it. They're hand made in Oklahoma and come in a range of sizes. If I had the space, I'd get a 20" but it wouldn't fit between my neighbour's house and mine and nor would it fit through the back door on the garage. I've made do with the 16".

If you opt for one, get it with the moveable convection plate. A very handy devise that allows you to have greater control of the temp. I'm smoking some beef chuck ribs right now:
    upload_2021-4-17_15-32-1.jpeg
    upload_2021-4-17_15-32-20.jpeg

Old Smokey and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.