Big Clean British amp sound

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OlDefGuy, Jul 31, 2021.

1. OlDefGuy

OlDefGuy TDPRI Member

Day off for a change and too hot to futz around outside so I got into the gear closet and pulled out my single channel Krank Chadwick head(don’t laugh, if any other company had made this amp it would be considered a classic). Plugged it into a 2X12 cab and Oh Yeah! Lucky the neighbors are all cool or I might have had a visit from the local constabulary. I had forgotten how good this amp sounds when you set the gain just at the verge of break-up and the volume to taste; louder being better of course.
    So it got me to wondering is there any thing out there that does big British clean at a reasonable volume level?

Tele-beeb, Axis29 and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I had no clue that krank made a Brit style amp
    I only know the high-gain metal machines

OlDefGuy likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I know some people’s definition but f reasonable volume is way too low.

OlDefGuy and Fretting out like this.
  4. OlDefGuy

OlDefGuy TDPRI Member

The Chadwick is a hidden gem, it was designed with lower gain in mind so it was really not a good fit for their marketing. It will do an early metal type of thing, but truly excels at classic rock and a plexi meets hi watt kinda sound.
    I like it, but I don’t really have a need for a 50 watt bunker buster anymore and truthfully I probably never did. It’s LOUD! At least to get to where it sounds great you have to move some air. You can turn the master down and it sounds good but it’s not the same.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It won’t sound big unless it’s…. Well… big.

6. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

A Vox AC15 can be nice and clean when using the normal channel. Just make sure to upgrade the speaker or pickup one of the hand wired models if you have the scratch. Everyone thinks of Vox as just top boost but the clean sound they get is superb when you don’t dime the knobs.

PhredE, OlDefGuy and drewg like this.
  7. SbS

SbS Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've have no too much experience with proper valve amps, but own one. Found a good deal when casually looking offers around.

Orange Tremlord 30, it's designed to stay clean with good amount of headroom. You can select 2/4 power tubes with a switch, and there's also a built-in attenuator. So all in all: 30W / 15W / 2W / 1W settings.

As said, I'm not the right person to compare it with other British amps, at least in real life. But Tremlord's specs may match with those criterias you described.

8. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I find that my DSL40CR has a wonderfully full, clean tone at basement sound levels. YMMV

codamedia, thebowl and OlDefGuy like this.
  9. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

VOX Night Train, either the V1 or G2. The ‘Natural’ channel on the Orange Rocker 15 Terror.

OlDefGuy likes this.
  10. OlDefGuy

OlDefGuy TDPRI Member

Hmmm, I have it’s little cousin an AC10 does the crunchy thing great but won’t really do the kind of clean I’m after. I might have to mess around with the tubes/speaker combinations and see if it will get close. I’m basically trying to setup a little rig that’s unobtrusive, I could live happily with what I got but a gig rig in the middle of the living room is……you get the idea.

DeepDangler likes this.
  11. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Check out the Marshall Origin Series.

codamedia and OlDefGuy like this.
  12. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

It will be tough to get it with an AC10. The AC10 is Top Boost only so it’s always running an internal treble booster to goose your output. You’d still need an AC15 or maybe a Vox MV50 Clean if you’re willing to try something hybrid.

OlDefGuy likes this.
  13. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

A few Laney amps will, I have had various versions since the 70's for that very reason of cleans, if not available the Marshall origin amp will do the job

OlDefGuy likes this.
  14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

When an amp is based on a model/era (in this case, vintage Marshall) then look to that company to see what they are offering...

IMO, my Marshall Origin 50 has huge clean tones, and scales back really nice to lower levels. They did a great job with the "Powerstem" feature on this series. I also think the DSL40 mentioned earlier is a viable option which would also have reverb.

OlDefGuy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.