Big bucks for wore out trucks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gobi_grey, Jul 18, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The one man shop Volvo mechanic I go to buys salvage and broken cars on the side.
    He has a two year old BMW he's putting new front sheetmetal on now.
    About $5k purchase on ebay from the insurance co I guess.
    Good profit to be made there it seems.
    Late model parts are plentiful in junkyards, more so and cheapish in CT/ NJ/ PA, with freight still profitable for turning over high value late model salvage vehicles.
    He also just bought a Volvo S80 with a blown motor plus a used motor for it.
    A days work and it goes on the lot.

IrishTeleDan likes this.
  2. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Newer or older Caddy? All I can say this is our second one and we haven't spent a dime other than normal maintenance (which I do myself!) - not a dime.... can't say that about other vehicles I've had.

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

We had a similar thread a while back. I think getbent is onto something with his approach. My wife has been encouraging me to trade in our older SUV that we use to tow our boat for a new Tacoma crew cab,
    but I have had the $40k sticker shock, too. But given the crazy good resale value I'm starting to think if I look for one that is coming off lease that I can get a truck that's only 3 years old, in excellent condition,
    keep it for maybe 3 to 5 years, and my net cost after sale will probably meet getbent's criterion of 10k per 100k miles. I figure why buy an older beater when I can get about the same total cost of ownership for a much newer
    one? After all, a lot of the total cost is going to go to filling the tank, insurance, and registration costs.

All that said, I'm probably going to just run this Lexus SUV as long as I can. It's paid for, it's a really nice ride, and I can always tow stuff with it. If I rent a little trailer with a bed I've now got a crew cab pickup truck just
    for the cost of the trailer rental. We go to the beach, camping, and mt. biking a fair bit, and my wife has this idea that it would be more convenient to be able to throw the toys in the bed and head off to have fun. I agree, but
    I don't agree to the tune of $40k. I can live with the slight inconvenience of slapping my bike rack onto the trailer hitch, etc., as needed when we're talking $40k. I can live with having to vacuum sand out of the back of the SUV
    after a bunch of sand has fallen off of towels, boogie boards, and surfboards. First world problem, right?

I'm also kind of holding out for an electric pickup truck. They should be coming out in a year or two. They will cost a lot, but they will be much cheaper to operate in terms of fuel and maintenance costs, should last forever, will require
    almost zero maintenance, and will have killer torque. Yes, a refurbished battery pack might cost something like $5k, but that's not more than a new engine would cost. If you are smart with charging a battery pack should last a good 10 years without
    much loss of storage capacity. I have had my Chevy Volt for 3 years and have not seen any loss at all in battery storage capacity. If you live in a super cold climate, maybe your results won't be as good.
    I haven't charted it out yet, but assuming 20k miles a year operation I think it should pencil out as being
    more cost effective. A big driver will be whether big federal and state tax credits will be offered. Right now where I live I can get $7,500 federal, $2,500 state, and another $500 from the utility, so that's a huge factor. Given how much
    they're charging for conventional pickup trucks, and the high fuel consumption of trucks, I think electric pickup trucks will probably be able to compete on cost. But the tax incentives definitely sweeten the deal.

CharlieO and hotpot like this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I just bought a new 2019 Silverado, I only had to sell one lung, one kidney, and my first born, he was a brat anyways:twisted:
    But what a truck, now I'm wondering weather to sell my 04' Titan, which has under 70,000 miles on it, and where to price it. Or just keep it for a work truck, always like having a spare auto around for vet visits, or when one of the daily drivers might be in the shop!,,, etc

IrishTeleDan and P Thought like this.
  5. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, new trucks cost a fortune. Used ones really hold their value. I saw a 10 year old Tacoma for 28K.

6. chris m.

I think the Ford Ranger is a nicer ride than the Tacoma: I test drove both. But justified or not, the resale
    value on a Tacoma is going to be better for sure. Let's see: 3 year old Tacoma that was new for $40k might
    sell for something like $32k to $34k, I'm speculating. If I can sell it at 10 years for let's say $24k then
    I'm getting it for 7 years for around $10k. That's a pretty darn good deal!

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

High ride height vehicles in South Louisiana are useful for getting into inundated areas during high water.

But I am primarily talking about my experiences in Western North Carolina. Where it is mountainous and roads can be very muddy and rough, and ice and snow are a major factor from December to early March.

And I'm with the whitewater kayaking, mountain biking and hiking crowd and we always seem to find the most challenging places to try to get stuck.

But there are some of the guys in pickups doing the Rolling Coal thing; very high ride height, almost always on the pavement and it is a badge or fashion statement - suburban and rural areas across the Deep South.

IrishTeleDan and telemnemonics like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think it was an STS? Maybe 2008-2010 just guessing? It was a lot better than her old caddy which had the split halves block Northstar engine that leaked constantly like the old VW split engines do! A joy to drive though.
    My ex Boss was convinced to buy a new Caddy once. He bought the fanciest one being CEO of a cash rich company. As a brand new car it broke down in probably the worst place you could imagine on I5 right in downtown Seattle! OMG you should have heard him, he was a hard core type A personality anyway... but... whoa! It was all Lexus after that.
    What is it about Cadillac (or GM really) where they decide to try all the fancy, but unproven, stuff on the most expensive car they make? If I was buying a luxury car, I would want only the well proven stuff, and let them experiment on another line of cars!

9. boris bubbanov

Sounds like the best choice.

Frankly, I don't especially like the ride of most pickups and SUVs. I've got this Honda S-2000 and a pickup is just such a let down to drive - I feel like I'm in a helicopter patrolling the terrain from the air above. The pickup is like being in a Huge Raft on a whitewater river when you could be in a low volume sports kayak. It is like a Virtual Trip to India, experienced on a laptop instead of actually going to India for yourself.

10. chris m.

Yes, and the concept of greater safety is mostly an illusion. It will do better in a multi-vehicle collision, but it is much more likely to get in a collision in the first place
    due to it's higher momentum, slower deceleration, higher center of gravity, poorer handling, and propensity to roll over during evasive maneuvers. I used to drive big
    commercial trucks so when I drive a pickup or SUV I take on the same mindset. I drive slower, leave more room for stopping, and avoid sudden maneuvers. Guys
    aggressively zipping around in heavy traffic in their pickup trucks are a recipe for disaster. My wife doesn't quite understand this and so I worry that she will roll it
    one day-- she's a bit of a lead foot.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Supply ... meet Demand.

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

All newer used trucks hold some value. But toyotas seem to hold the most.

I'm watching the market on toyotas, new and used, because I love toyotas, and may go that route in a few years, mainly for camping/hauling/fun once the kiddos are out of the house. Reliability and driving fit/feel is more important to me than resale. Just like with Hondas, toyotas just feel right to me. Just like Hondas, they have a reputation for reliability.

But here's the thing. Compared to every other truck maker they are ridiculously outdated. Yet the buzzword on reliability remains in their favor. Plus, a big chunk of truck buyers aren't really happy about the technical wizardry in the new Fords and such. By that, I mean the turbos, lightened steel frames, etc... All of the new trucks, toyotas included, have the luxury electrical doo-dads. Some are required by all, anyway. That won't change anytime soon.

I for one would prefer a standard ladder frame. Call me crazy. OTOH, I'm not too hip on paying $40k+ for outdated tech, either, if that makes any sense. Toyota's market is about coolness and reliability, and has been for decades. I think it's prices reflect that. Don't tell me that Ford isn't spending at least as much on R&D. I would guess they are spending more.

As it is, the closer I get to being in range of purchase, the more hesitant I am to take the dive. I'm old enough to remember trucks being reasonably priced and utilitarian. That's when I owned them, and what I liked about them. They have become neither, in the sense that it's no longer cost effective to have a truck and another car for everything a truck wasn't really optimal for. Now buyers (apparently) want it all in one vehicle, with the results of drastically increased price (even more than passenger cars), with less utilitarianism. Not a fan of the tiny bed on four door trucks. But also not a fan of a fullsize bed on a fourdoor truck. I'd rather have neither. BUT CANNOT AFFORD TO HAVE BOTH A TRUCK AND A PASSENGER CAR. :mad:

In any case, I really don't need a pick-up.

In the end I can drive my Accord to pretty much any national park, and just stay in tents and hotels. Maybe not as cool and fun as the TRD-Pro with the custom camper, and no off-roading to speak of :cry:. But cheaper. A lot cheaper. And cheaper for me means more travel. Not less.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    CharlieO likes this.
  13. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I'm confused.... Is this thread about guitars or trucks?

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

What I find strange about the new truck market is how trucks/pickups are getting smaller and less durable while the prices are higher than ever. A Toyota hilux was less desired than a Landcruiser back in the 80's, 90's. Toyota built their trucks name on reliability and durability but todays version of the hilux and landcruiser is nowhere near as durable and reliable as the early ones.

The landcruiser was the one to get for heavy work and reliability due to having vinyl floor and bench seat, able to drive underwater if the snorkel could breathe, take a heavier load etc. Todays trucks would be written off if they get too wet and they more resemble a family sedan than a serious work vehicle yet the prices have skyrocketed since the 90's.

The old truck prices are probably supported by the newer generation of trucks being less suited to long term work and the motors being downgraded all the time. A 4cyl ultra efficient enviro friendly motor may sound great on paper but in reality they are no good for actual work pulling heavy loads daily.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    KyAnne and Piggy Stu like this.
  15. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I have an '04 GMC Sierra in showroom condition with 12K (Twelve thousand) original miles. V8,Bose,auto,air, and manual windows! I would love a new Dodge Ram, but I could never get something as good as what I have for short money.
    One thing I have noticed is the SIZE of pickups has increased; today's mid-size pickup is the same size as yesterday's full size. Dunno if a Dodge Ram (single cab, short bed) would even fit in my garage. And yet my full size GMC long bed does!

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

I am hoping there is a "shadow" supply of low mileage trucks out there and that at some point, the fashion changes and other vehicles become popular. Then I can buy a pickup and put it hard to work. Haul some stuff in the bed, tow cars and trailers; etc.

17. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Was just looking for a practical older truck that’s maintained and isn’t totally rusted out. As long as there’s no wayward spring poking my rear, I’m good.

The prices are still too high for me, that’s for sure. New or old.

I’d like one made before they started putting all the computer stuff in them, updated with the bare minimum safety stuff to pass inspection.

I finally got my commute to almost nothing, and I’m not gigging much anymore, so I don’t need a highway workhorse to make a living.

It’s depressing when I see a cool one in Hemmings or Craigslist that hasn’t been dramatically altered or customized, only to realize it is beyond my reach financially.

I found I happen to like the F1s, just my luck.

Heck, it even made me start looking at ‘70’s & 80’s trucks.

It wouldn’t sting as much if I didn’t work so hard and had more time to devote to a project.

I’ve driven 250’s, 550’s, and 750’s, and had a couple older pickups years ago, they were fine but I like the smaller ones.

Different opinions on reliability out there, I’ve heard positive stuff on the old Toyota’s.

I just want something that works long enough to be worth it for me, but I think I better start making more money if I want to think about adding truck to my garage.

18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Not selling.
    tumblr_nsm847zDGk1s6xl9go1_1280.jpg

esetter, flathd, rob2 and 7 others like this.
  19. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

It is crazy. I owned a Toyota T-100 for twelve years, loved it even more than the F-150 I’d owned the prior seven years and sold just to get a rear seat. I decided I finally wanted a rear door and more towing capability so started shopping Fords and Tundras. I realized pretty quickly that it’s like some tractors: spend a few thousand more and buy new. So I got a Tundra double cab 4X4, stripper model with the 4.6 and tow package for $28K OTD, September 2009. I sold the T-100 for $1K more than the “crusher value” $3500 trade in offer back when they were taking trades and destroying them and like I told the salesman “I’ll give it away rather than that”. Sold her for $4500, very clean truck with 185K miles. I’ll bet it’s still doing duty and maybe worth more than it was back then.

I like my Tundra and at 155K it’s gonna last me forever but I also follow the astonishing prices today. I’m the guy who after the salesman sees my truck says “so you actually work yours, huh?” and am bummed by the prevalence of $50K+ trucks with all kinds of things I don’t need or want. I’m confident that when I need a new truck in ten or twenty years (!) I’ll find a “stripper” that can be a real truck for a decent price. I’m the buyer they hate to deal with and I’ll hit them when they need it.

There are still used deals. My grandson is 16 and though I’m not wealthy I like to help out. With five grandkids and not much money in their household that can add up. He loves the outdoors so a truck would be great, but a lengthy perusal of CL showed me that’s an issue. So a couple weeks ago I met an old friend for coffee. He knows I have a grandson of age and interest and that I’ve driven trucks forever so mentions he’s gonna sell their 2003 Pathfinder 4WD (of course), nicely equipped and meticulously maintained with 93K miles and when I tell him it’s outta my range for the grandkids he asks what I’m thinking and says I can have it for $2500-$3000 (my upper limit) so I’m all over it like a wet noodle. Just gotta keep yer ear to the ground.

telemnemonics and KyAnne like this.
  20. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

I just put this beauty on Autotrader a few hours ago... 2015 Ram Sport 4X4 with 33000 miles.... I'll update you on the accuracy of used truck bringing top dollar. :p

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.