Big bucks for wore out trucks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gobi_grey, Jul 18, 2019.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

108,000 miles on ours. We bought it new, paid off $40,000 over 7 years. Now I get to enjoy the rest of its life, which is what I plan to do. I don't care what it would sell for.

Huntin' camp.jpg

Edit: a while after we bought that truck, I sold this one:

F150 Front.jpg

I loved it, but the newer one is far more powerful, more comfortable, and more practical, especially now that it's paid off, and I didn't want the Ford to rot in the driveway for lack of use.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    flathd, Toto'sDad, thegeezer and 6 others like this.
  2. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I'm just waiting for a Yeti/Ford or a Yeti/Chevy collaboration to hit the market. Probably be like 200 grand.
    Seriously. When the hell did we start letting "men's" stuff become fashionable?? Trucks these days are like women's designer dresses. Dick's sporting goods used to be a man cave type place where you could go buy fair priced man stuff. Now it's yeti this and yeti that and other designer bull crap. With a parking lot full of $60,000 trucks.

CharlieO, gusfinley and Stubee like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I hunt craigslist and use carfax... I love to buy salvage title vehicles that are salvage due to having been stolen. My favorite vehicle right now is a 2006 F150. I redid the brakes, rotors, actuators and bearings, recovered one leather seat and fixed the AC.. about 2500.00 invested, bought it for 5K... I have 80K miles on it. I think that is a good value.

I never flinch about beating the crap out of it and use the 4wd pretty much every week... when it conks something expensive... I'll go find another....

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm selling mine at the moment then shopping for a 70's v8 f series. Chevs are hard to find here and cost a lot more. I need a long wheelbase with a large tub too.
    Your c10 would probably go for over 35k possibly a lot more here.

5. getbent

it used to be that when gigs dried up or I wasn't busy playing gigs, I'd get all 'gear infested'.... always modding, tinkering etc... but when I was busy it was string changes only....

I think that is true with trucks... most don't go to work (nor their masters) and they don't bust ass all day or even on the weekends... so, they fiddle with the 'massage chair' crapola...

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You've got to sell the pickup yourself, or get a friend to do it for you or with you.

These dealers are tying the hands of their workforce and they're just not in a position to pay you proper money for a trade-in pickup. They feel they MUST score some profit on the transactions on these, as it is their best opportunity - maybe their only payday that week. They've got to make up for the mauling they take accepting cars in trade, and in being pinched between the buyer and the manufacturer on new vehicles.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In Maine it's probably even worse.
    A 4wd Tacoma with 250k miles rusted out and won't pass inspection runs $2000.
    Stupid and ridiculous!

True that regular cab 2wd can be fair priced, but those seem to more often be fleet work trucks with ten dents on every body panel and bench seat with springs sticking out.

I don't blame the rednecks for the inflated prices, rednecks always drove pickups.
    The prices went up astronomically when yuppies/ execs decided trucks were cool and wives decided all those yuppie trucks in rush hor scared them so they needed trucks too to keep the kiddies and groceries safe.

As the truck industry responded to the majority of the truck buying market shifting from previously blue collar to trend following white collar, trucks got full power option packages and leather interiors.
    The American truck builders then made a basic non lux truck the special order, and stacked the new car lots with lux models.

A $50-$60k truck seems to have $14- $20k in lux features.
    As the overall market adapted to the higher lux buyer driven prices though, the base models probably went up as well, since the market would bear it.

Same with the SUV market.
    Used to be there were jeeps for hauling small numbers of soldiers, and pickup trucks with a roof over the back for workers who needed dry tools more than a place to load waterproof stuff like lobster traps and lumber.

Then again, the yuppie/ corporate crowd decided that A) jacked up over sized station wagons were cool, and B) jacked up over sized station wagons were safer for the kids because cars on the road were getting huuuuge and scary.

Funny now how Jeep advertises that the "SUV" has a long heritage, when in reality the long heritage had little or nothing to do with sport, or with the Jeep buyer of today.

In the '70s a new Jeep had only one bucket seat, a second seat in the front was an option, as well as heat was an option.
    These were work vehicles, not sport and certainly not lux.

Rednecks still drive trucks and jeeps, but it's the rich lux buyers that drove up the prices.

After 9-11 though there came an ugly era of neanderthal truck usage, but those were and still are the minority of trucks on the road.

9. boris bubbanov

That's an interesting approach.

I know a couple people who are carefully cultivating their friendships with some of the guys that are older and not doing so well, who won't be with us in a few more years. PROVIDED they have a paid for pickup truck worth having. They figure, between 3-4 elderly guys, one of them will donate the truck to this young buddy of theirs, prior to or at death.

What bugs me is, I used to get clients in serious need of Legal Work (no, not mostly criminal cases) and all they had of value was a pickup. I could've taken quite a number of pickups as a legal fee and mostly didn't. And when I did I had someone who was eager to take it right off my hands and so I never kept even one. My only consolation is, had I kept 1-2 they most likely would have been lost in Katrina anyway so maybe it is for the best.

10. boris bubbanov

Well, it is not really the same for SUVs as pickups, at least in most parts of the South, IMO.

Some folks shall and must have a pickup and they won't and can't settle for the SUV version of that platform. An early 2000s 4runner with most of the same bits as a 4x4 Taco, that once cost almost twice what the Taco cost, is now selling for less money in better condition and with fewer miles. You cannot hunt with dogs, using a 4runner.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

Also when a dealership sells your used truck to the next owner they have to fix whatever is broke that "you" didn't know about or forgot to mention during the trade in.
    Not many sellers pay their mechanic to go over the vehicle and install new parts wherever needed right before trading in.
    Usually the other way around: trade in when repairs will be needed soon.
    So in addition to needing to make a profit on trade in vehicles, dealerships take a risk on them, and sometimes just send them to auction and take less than they gave, rather than selling with 30 day warranty because it's just not worth the gamble.

JL_LI likes this.
  12. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Yep, trucks seem to hold there value no doubt.. I have a 2010 GMC 4X4 with over 100k on the odo, my wife has a much nicer 2014 loaded Caddy (SRX) with only 60k that is worth less than my truck... crazy!

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Speaking of trucks, I always find it funny when I'm watching those tiny house reality shows. The buyers want a portable house and seem very concerned about price of the house. What usually goes unsaid is they've going to need an $70k+ pickup to haul that $30k tiny house around the country.

14. telemnemonics

Yeah certainly regional price differences that follow usage trends.

Really odd that 4wd is popular in areas with no snow among buyers who drive on pavement.
    All for the jacked up look I guess?

Another thing about Maine is the poverty trend.
    That one has lasted centuries I guess so maybe not a trend.
    But old beater Corollas have stupid high value because poor people that consider themselves smart but Corollas due to long life expectancy. 4runners seem somewhere in the middle, not cool like Tacos and not poverty approved like Corollas.
    Not cheap either though.
    Rusty?
    Yeah that.

15. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I just rent one or a trailer when I need it. It works out way better than I'd have imagined. We do have one that never gets licensed and only travels within the ski area.

It did take a change in mindset. This comes from someone who had pickups for much of his life. I'm money ahead and have a more pleasant time when I drive. On occasion I chuckle because I drive a car I never thought I'd own and it has more traction than my pickups ever had.

:)

DrPepper likes this.
  17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Our truck when we bought it was the advertised "loss leader". They tried real hard to upsell, sidesell, outsell, resell, everything but unsell us. And it really annoyed them when my wife called the credit union (she's 'way smarter than I am), instead of letting me go for the house financing.

CharlieO, telemnemonics and getbent like this.
  18. getbent

When I sell the trucks after I have used them, I always disclose that I bought the truck on salvage title (though they are not on salvage title when I sell them, my buying them cleansed them) and so, that is part of the value. I document what happened to the truck, I keep my original carfax AND I keep records of repairs and maintenance... and so far, I usually sell the trucks for slightly more than I paid for them (for example a non salvage 2002-2008 F150 FX4 would go for about 9K here) but, the deficit is the work and money I put into them to make them reliable.

I actually like modern trucks, youtube and forums have made fixing them pretty easy and parts are available etc. I try to make my spend metric to be 10K per 100K miles. (not including gas or oil changes or tires) if I fit that... that is sweet.

My daughter has the prius and she is KILLING that metric (doing well) Our other cars are making that too... then you can kind of create some sense out of the various costs... one of my guys paid 60K for a truck... it even massages you! but, I cannot see 600K miles out of it.... so, no thanks.

P Thought likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

The new gypsy culture aint what it used to be!

Folks that live seasonally in mobile home parks generally pay to have them hauled North and South.
    The third wheel crowd does summer trips but doesn't live in those things.
    The tiny house movement up here is about owning a cheap house and not having to own the land.
    None I know of involve owning a pulling vehicle, but I could see that being a "thing" in some communities.
    Interesting if that's happening!
    I could almost see doing that if I bought a half finished '90s dualie pickup project and built the tiny house out of stuff I brought home from the dump.
    That makes economic sense and is also truly green!

Reuse is the highest form of recycling...

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, Caddy's are infamous for value loss. My Mother in Law died a couple years ago. She had a Caddy with 22k miles on it. We had trouble getting any money out of it. Actually her son sold it after about a year. I think $6500? I dont know maybe that off... I swear that car cost more in maintenance than it did in the start! But she would take it to the dealer for any little thing and come out with a $1200 bill!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.