Big bucks for wore out trucks

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gobi_grey, Jul 18, 2019.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Looking at getting a pickup truck. Always used to drive one but I've had a small suv for the past 8 years and I miss having a truck. So, looking through used truck listings, what's up with so many 150k miles+ being sold for 20 grand or more? Who the heck is out there spending that kind of money on a truck with thay high mileage? That's just crazy. Do these newer f150's and such actually run trouble free past 200k miles?
    I'm hoping to find something under 15 grand with around 100k miles or less.

1955 and telemnemonics like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It's because there are fewer used vehicles on the market right now while demand is up. There's a reason for this but it can't be discussed here.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Religion and drugs eh?

I am also mystified by the high price of worn out pick up trucks in England, so it isn't just down to government policies. I figure the redneck types who have them don't sell before they are past useable so v thin market

ponce, BobbyZ and unixfish like this.
  4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

It doesn't help that new prices are astronomical, too.

5. REWTX

REWTX TDPRI Member

They do last longer than they used to but not enough to warrant the high prices. One thing not helping is the outrageous prices for new ones.

KyAnne, scelestus and drf64 like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It has been ridiculous for a long time for sure. I have a big F250 and have thought about getting a small truck but wow too much $ for a small truck with a ton of miles on it. (need 4wd)
    But I did buy my '98 F250 a few years ago for $4000. The sticker is still in the glove box and it was like $44k new! All options on it. But it's been baked in the sun, so probably not original to WA state! It's no cream puff but extended cab 3 door and 4wd with 168k miles. Not a leak in it. I only drive the truck 1000 miles a year.
    The older trucks, especially the Fords will run damn near forever, they are simple and heavy duty compared with cars.

But if you don't need 4wd and a big cab, trucks can be a real bargain... because everybody wants those two things now days. Regular cabs .....are especially cheap.

7. REWTX

REWTX TDPRI Member

Beat me to this by a few seconds

scelestus likes this.
  8. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

At 165k, my 2013 F150 has been trouble free. FWIW, the last time I took it into the dealer (recall to reprogram the computer), they offered me more than $20k on a trade in against a new one (In 2013, I paid $25k v $42k sticker).

Rednecks, white socks, and blue ribbon :D

6l6-57 and Piggy Stu like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Used trucks have always been more expensive when compared to cars here. It's great. Mine is still worth around 14k whereas the equivalent car of the same year can be had for as low as 5k. I've been buying trucks/pickups since I got my licence and they have always held their value well. If you buy cheap you can usually sell for a small loss of around 2k over 5 years. Try do that with a car.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    djh22 and Piggy Stu like this.
  10. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I checked out a used 2 year old small Toyota Tacoma 2 weeks ago with approx 20K miles. They wanted $31,500.
    Little bit less than a new one. Hell no! Walked.

JayFreddy likes this.
  11. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

They always hold their value well unless you are trading one in. They hold their value well for the dealerships. It always seems to be a "monetary rape job" for the buyer.

12. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

New ones are expensive.

My ‘13 4wd Chevy Silverado has 135k on it. I paid 28k for it after an 8k rebate and dealer discount when new on a 41k sticker.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. I could put a sign on it and get an easy 20k or better quickly. That’s what they bring.

But it’s replacement would cost 60k. Explains used prices. Mine has at least a third of its life left.

djh22 likes this.
  13. Chunkocaster

True which is why I have only dealt with a dealer twice when young and foolish. I buy and sell privately now and have done so for over 20 years.
    I bought a new 6 month old truck in 2005 for $14k when the dealers wanted $26k.
    I still have it and its worth around 9k now. I bought a second 5yo truck in 2014 for 15k when the dealers wanted 26k. I've got it on the market now for 14k and its the cheapest of its kind on the local market.

It pays to keep an eye on the market and know the current prices of whatever you are interested in or currently own. You can forecast when the price of your vehicle will take a large drop in value and sell it before that happens.

14. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I wonder who is driving the need for all these new features that I never cared about. They all cost money to add on. Now they have electric tailgates. What does that add to the cost, and why do we need it? Give me AC, power windows, and a refund check for all that other crap they put on new vehicles.

Boomhauer, Scribbler, KyAnne and 6 others like this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Young guys are getting themselves in debt for 50k trucks here, it's ridiculous. They will never own the things and they will be lucky to end up with any equity in them at all before trading them in and repeating the cycle if they can maintain the payments.
    Talk about loading up the stress levels when a long term job is around 5 years these days.
    A job for life hasn't been a thing for decades now.

LPBlue, KyAnne, IrishTeleDan and 3 others like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

There are several things contributing to the lower supply.

For example, look at the markets where the once ubiquitous small and inexpensive pickups are now primarily sold and what one of their primary uses is now.

17. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Mine's old and has 130K on the odo but I'd be crazy to let her go under $20K. She just turned 50!

1969 Chevy C10 CST.jpg

esetter, StrangerNY, Les H and 31 others like this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Nice, much nicer than the new 30k plus disposable pickups full of troublesome computers/sensors.

birddog01, Wobbles, dougstrum and 4 others like this.
  19. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I just priced out a new Chevy truck...Long-bed + V8 = over $40k!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Ummmmmmm. My new ones cost me between 50k and 70k so yeah I’m not selling for 20k.

I agree that it’s ridiculous! But they kind of have my hands tied. But hey now they come standard with heated seats and steering wheel so wooooooo hoooooooo :eek:

stratoman1, telemnemonics and imwjl like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.