Big-Box Reverb: Better Algorithms or Just More Options?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by markesquire, Jul 16, 2020.

1. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I recently got a Boss RV-6 and like some of the sounds, but I'm not blown away by the spring setting (which I want to use most). I'm weighing whether to return the RV-6 for something else, but wonder if it will get me higher-quality reverbs or just more presets (which I probably wouldn't use much).

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Amp reverb and pedal reverb are usually different sounds. Boss came closest to amp reverb with the long discontinued FRV-1 in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    KW1977 likes this.
  3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Eventide and Lexicon have better algorithms over Boss. They were designed for far more control and nuance by engineers that over-engineered the sounds. If you are in a studio and need to "create" a space, the Eventide will give you near limitless options. That said, if you need a pedal for live use, all the bells and whistles don't really matter because that stuff translates better on a recording.

That said, spring reverb is a strange one because it is many things to many people. The spring reverb in a combo amp sounds different than a spring reverb unit. The splash and trail that surf players want isn't what a blues player is after. The Topanga is well loved by surf fans as a back up to their tanks and the FRV-1 is a great all around spring reverb sound. So when it comes to the splash and trail, different algorithms have different appeals to the varied players.

bluesholyman and BorderRadio like this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I don't own one, but the Topanga sounds very good in some of the demos.

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I just missed out on one for fricken $80 on the local CL, kicking myself.

8trackmind likes this.
  6. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I'm on this same subject having just missed out on a heckin cheap FRV-1. Eg; which multi-mode reverb box has the best dwell & drip? There is a cult of spring out there that corksniffs like no other in this arena so all I can do is sit back and take notes.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

You need a vintage analog Fender tube Spring reverb unit ...

It ain't cheap...

But it sounds awesome ...

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Corksniffing would be talking about tone wood and magnet types :) the spring guys like me just want a ‘realistic’ spring reverb that can imitate the primitive drips, splashes and crashes like the originals. Most spring imitations seem one-dimensional, and have subtle responses differences compared to originals. I noticed most people like the idea of a tamed spring reverb not the actual sonic artifacts that make it such a crappy reverb in the first place. The primary would be 'drip'.

I’ve owned the FRV-1 twice and always sell it. Great drip, the dwell knob works, but I don’t care when I see it, not going out of my way for it. Same with Polara and EHX Oceans 11. The Topanga is great, owned two of those. Soo good with dirt but the dwell had to be maxed for any drip, and it was subtle at that. The Source Audio True Spring drips and has those subtle spring nuisances, yet still sold that. I have other reverb goals too, and the spring reverb that I prefer seems pretty niche. Given that, I just use a real outboard unit and/or my Surfy Bear build.

I still say SA's True Spring or Ventris (using their Outboard Spring engine) is the current 'best' dwell & drip as far as digital algorithms go.

Modman68 and Digital Larry like this.
  9. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

Fancy reverb algorithms shine for weirdass spacey madness, or for proper convolution/modeling of real spaces (like that killer nuclear reactor in Finland or whatever, love that sound). For a spring reverb, just get a Surfybear and feel the sh*t-eating grin spread across your face.

knockeduptele and BorderRadio like this.
  10. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

If you wants true Spring Reverb pedals exists :

Anasound Le bon la brute et le truand, spaceman orion

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Spaceman stuff is overpriced nonsense. At 800 bucks for a pedal, you could have bought a vintage Fender Reverb unit.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

I don't really know prices since I DIY every effect and the stuff is nowhere to be found here.

Deadendfx sells a pcb for the orion.

If you know how to solder, it's not that hard to build since there's no biaising, only thing is fitting the spring reverb tank unit in it.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

If you wanted spring reverb in a pedal, you bought the wrong pedal ... and have not paid much attention to the litany of threads discussing this. Just take it back and start over. Plenty of excellent choices in this golden era of pedals and I personally know two that have put my beloved FRV-1 to shame. Just sayin'

14. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good timely thread!

Seriously wanting to buy a Strymon Flint, Trem/Reverb.

It's been out several yrs, so I wondered too, t
    that time if they hv added newer/better algorithms.

15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wampler Reflections. Simple and fantastic. Needed cash and had to sell it. Got the 1st gen TCE HOF. It's a good jack of all trades reverb. But I do miss that Wampler.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  16. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I wondered about adding a real spring reverb to my 5E3 clone so I went on Rob Robinette's website and under spring reverb he wrote, Buy a Strymon Flint, so I'm taking that as the definitive answer.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  17. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

The digitech hardwire series and polara reverbs are lexicon algorithms - they are not bad at all.

Topanga seems a TDPRI favorite. JRAD Boing is ok - its an accutronics digital module wrapped in a pedal.

Red Panda Context is a great 'verb pedal, but it does a few more things, really, really well.

I like the RV-6, wouldn't mind having one, but am not a "Spring" reverb player, at least not right now - maybe in future...

Lots of choices - 'verb is not quite as cavernous as the fuzz rabbit hole, but I think it gives it a run for the money - just start rolling pedals till you find one you like....

18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My Flint should be here in a few days!

19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

As sort of an unschooled reverb user, this thread has been an interesting read. Even though I probably won’t begin reverb corksniffery any time soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.