Bias Distortion Pedal vs the Strymon Riverside Drive

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axeually, Jan 9, 2017.

Which digital drive pedal would you put your money on?

1. Strymon Riverside Multistage Drive

100.0%
  2. Bias Distortion Pedal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Axeually

Axeually TDPRI Member

Has anyone been keeping track of the the Bias Distortion Pedal or the Strymon Riverside Drive?

In a way, they both fit into the same category because they are digital drive pedals

I am pretty impressed with Bias' products, but honestly, I have never bought any of them until they started the pre-orders for the Bias Distortion Pedal. The demos of all of their software seems pretty good, but their distortion pedal also seems like it is just a hardware host for their pedal software... I guess I pre-ordered it because I am on a dirt pedal kick, and it seemed like a great way to get a bunch of different flavors in one pedal. The major downside to the pedal is that they have not really released any great demos, and the keep pushing the shipping date back. The pedals are now three months behind schedule, and still no word from Bias on the ship date!

Strymon, on the other hand, is an established pedal maker, and pretty much every one of their offerings are top shelf! I own the Strymon Big Sky, which in my mind, is the best reverb pedal on the planet! The sound quality and flexibility on that thing are second to none. Every other pedal of theirs has received fairly stellar reviews, and now, the Riverside Drive is getting glowing reviews, many of which have come from people who would not have normally endorsed any kind of digital drive pedals!

At this point, I am considering canceling my pre-order for the Bias Distortion and ordering on of the Strymon Riverside Drive pedals!

Have any of you guys listened to the demos? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

I would go with the Strymon. BIAS seems to cater to the Heavy Metal crowd IMHO. IIRC the Strymon uses a JFET at the input. So you get the best of both worlds

3. Axeually

Axeually TDPRI Member

That's a really good point. It seems like many of Strymon's pedals benefit from having a top-notch analog side.

With Bias, I have not seen any comprehensive overviews and demos, and they are more than two months behind schedule on their launch, which makes me wonder how the development process is going. If they are just trying to put their drive pedal software in a hardware box, what is the hold up?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.