BF Deluxe Reverb with ink stamped number inside chassis. What is it?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gmm52, Sep 9, 2017.

1. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

I recently saw a picture (can't seem to locate it now) of the inside of a 66 Deluxe Reverb. It was something like T1836XX in black ink near the rectifier tube socket. What is this number for or what does it mean? It didn't seem to correspond to the serial number stamped on the back.

2. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I think the last 2 digits are the year, and the 2 before those the week of that year...did it look like this? This is from a '66 Super Reverb (not sure exactly what this stamp was for, date chassis was assembled maybe?).

Photo Jan 08, 5 33 17 PM.jpg

gmm52 likes this.
  3. gmm52

gmm52 Tele-Meister

Yes, it looked like that. Thanks for the reply.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I think the last number is the year - the two before are the week. Here's my newly acquired SFVC - would be 26th week 1967.

Otherwise, it's 52nd week 1967 and that suggests a nice Christmas present....
    I think later EIA went to 7 digits with two digit year code so you could distinguish the decade.

IMG_20170910_144602.jpg

dannyh likes this.
  5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There are various codes like that on Fender chassis.

They don't have an historically significant meaning as far as dating an amp - the most accurate production dates for BF/SF amps are obtained with the serial numbers. The last numbers are usually the year - but the chassis was produced, not the amp. In some cases they were around the factory for several years before being used.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

[/QUOTE]

Yep I think it's just the date of this component. My amps got a 66-dated output and 67 power transformer.

7. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Actually that's the stamped code denoting when the chassis was completed and is one way to determine the amps date. In the first photo above: the "T16" shows Technician 16 completed the chassis on the 44th week of 1966. In the second photo above: "T40" shows Technician 40 completed the chassis on the 52nd week of 1967. Serial numbers can be confusing because the blank chassis were not picked or completed in numerical order. Completed chassis were not left around the factory for several years before being used.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Milspec likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, the gathering and correlation of all of the codes in these amps is the work that created the serial numbers charts, which did not exist until the very late 1990's due to the work of Greg Gagaliano, Greg Huntington(RIP) and Devin Reibe. Before that work, the serial numbers were meaningless.

There are six articles concerning the results of that work. "Greg Gagliano bibliography" will get you tomall of that invaluable information. Here is the first article....

http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp1.htm

9. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

"Before that work, the serial numbers were meaningless."

I disagree Wally. These serial numbers were inside these amps from the factory and always had a meaning. They weren't meaningless at all.

10. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Serial numbers give you a general range. The component EIA codes, chassis date stamp and tube chart stamp help nail down the actual month and year.

An example would be: a palate of Vibrolux Reverb chassis are delivered in October, 1964. Number A 00100 (Fender started with A 00100) is at the bottom of the pile. Obviously, the tech's pick chassis from the top of the pile. serial # A 00100 is finally pulled in January, 1965. All higher serial numbers were built before it.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

when I wrote 'serial number', I was meaning the serial number that is stamped into the chassis on the right hand side as you look at the back of the amp. Those stamped numbers...into the metal not with ink...were never used in sequential order nor were they logged out as the left production. So, those serial numbers never meant anything for dating an amp UNTIL those 3 gentlemen gathered all of that info on thousands and thousands of vintage Fenders are correlated all of it to build those serial number charts that everyone uses over these last 17 or so years to date Fender amp.
    AS I Noted, serial numbers were NEVER a part of dating these amps until after those articles were written. Those of us who dealt in vintage amps before that information was gathered merely did what is still what has to be done IF one wants to know not just the date but the originality of the amp.....we have to go through all of the codes on the components, the tube chart, the cab....wherever we find a number that has a date code in it.....such as the code that brought this thread in to being. IN other words, the die-stamped serial number in the chassis is simply another date code---now that the chart has been built---to verify originality. IF all of those codes do not match, the amp has originality issues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.