Beyond My Skill Level...............................

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by JeffBlue, Sep 2, 2020.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Just received an email from Mr. Ben Fargen about my amp repair being wrapped up in a couple of days. I am excited about getting it back and a little concerned about the cost. But I am quite sure this amp will sound excellent.

2. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

If you have build pictures of what you did, and then what Fargen did, it would be cool to see those. We’d all learn something I bet. (You possibly might have had everything right except for one resistor, or one missing ground, which happens all the time with first-builders)

JeffBlue and Wally like this.
  3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

In all honesty, I sort of had a rats nest full of wires and an over-abundance of ground wires routed to a pair of star grounds. I just got another email from Ben Fargen and he informed me that the amp is finished and sounds great. He is going to take photos of the inside of the amp and explain where I went wrong. He said I almost had it working, just a few things wrong. Anyway he said he is also going to shoot some video of him playing through my amp. He still has to figure what I owe him. I am embarrassed about the way my work turned out. He is a very good guy to do business with. Looking forward to playing this amp.

hepular likes this.
  4. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

IMG_0225.jpg
    This is how I sent my amp to Ben Fargen
    Benjamin Fargen-1 watt Mojotone Studio One-1.jpg
    Benjamin Fargen-1 watt Mojotone Studio One gut shot-2.jpg
    This is what it looks like now

And here is the video that Ben Fargen sent me

hepular likes this.
  5. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, the photos are out of sequence........the 3rd photo is my mess.

6. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Here's the finished Mojotone Studio One amp kit finished.
    IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0241-2.jpg
    And here is another project I just finished today.
    IMG_0237.jpg
    Art SGX-2000 Express into a Mesa Boogie M190 into a Peavey Futura cab loaded with a 12 inch 8 Ohm Peavey Black Widow speaker. Extra 1U space for a tube preamp someday.

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Awesome. Glad to hear it's all fixed up.

We all start at the same skill and knowledge level. Zero. We read, learn, practice. It takes lots of time. For most of us here, amp work is a hobby. Each of us have our own personal drive and desire to dive into amps. We also have many distractions. However you can do it. Baby steps.

I've watched a professional MD, go from hospital scrubs to amps in his basement. He's come a long ways. He's doing a fantastic service to guitar players, helping them out. He most certainly had no time to study amps when he was younger. Today he's a fantastic hobbyist amp tech. I suppose the stress of the surgical knife has been replaced by the stress of a soldering iron hovering over 500V DC. :D

screefer and JeffBlue like this.
  8. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I replaced the 12AY7 in V1 for an NOS GE 5814A to clean up channel 1. I then replaced the 12BH7 power tube with a 12AU7 to 6SN7 adapter and installed a NOS 6SL7 for an output tube. Sounds amazing.
    IMG_0242-2.jpg IMG_0243-2.jpg

Attached Files:

9. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

NEVERMIND! The 12BH7 seems to have more volume and does seem to sound like it has more punch. I'm wondering if the adapter has resistors impeding the full potential of the 6SL7. Anyway, I'm back to the 12BH7.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.