Better late then never-Dances with Wolves

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Post Toastie, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Mary McDonnell's modern Jose Eber type hair do was strange, what were they thinking...? Was she also a time traveler...? Also beat Goodfellas for best picture...must have been close or a split vote...

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

sorry to be a debbie downer but....

cant stand that guy. I thought Dances was Ok when it came out but watching it again its pretty terrible. Waterwolrd on the other hand gets better with every viewing. Most of his stuff does not hold up well at all, over time. Field of Dreams and the golf and baseball ones he did are laughably silly, forced, and just C student level movies. (just my opinion)

I read most of the buffalo used were owned by Neil Young who has like 30,000 head of them. Now thats cool! And the scene when he puts his bloody boot on and walks out of the impending amputation was mildly badass. Other than that pretty meh, at best, laughingly bad and/or insulting at worst.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

To me Kevin Costner is always Kevin Coster playing _______________ but his acting fit his character in Dances With Wolves as well as any he's ever played. He may not be a Robert DiNiro or an Al Pacino when it comes down to becoming the character he plays but he's done some good work and selected some great stories to portray on screen.

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

and to think I could not dislike Dancing any less...you have gave me a reason to.

:mad:

5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I have tried the fingers-as-buffalo-horns approach in many a figurative teepee. Works well with drunk people at wedding-receptions as a guiding tool pre-and-post barfing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  6. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

I like "The Postman"..."Waterworld", not as much.

7. rockingjoe

rockingjoe TDPRI Member

I agree. I know it is a movie but why didnt he tell the wolf to go away or tell the guys he would cooperate if they didnt hurt the wolf.

8. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

The Untouchables
    Bull Durham
    Field of Dreams
    Dances with Wolves
    Wyatt Earp
    Tin Cup
    The Postman
    Message in a Bottle
    For Love of the Game
    Open Range

I like all these flicks...so I guess like Kevin Costner

9. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I really liked Open Range, Costner also directed that one. I also thought his Wyatt Earp was pretty good but the Kurt Russell version was better.

I never saw The Bodyguard and it looks like that one is not on the radar.

10. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

I think you could say the same thing about a lot of Hollywood icons: John Wayne, Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, even Marlon, Brando. They always basically "played themselves".

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

His characters in Field of Dreams, Silverado, Bull Durham and Open Range are all quite different.
    Wyatt Earp covers so many years that he gets to play the character at different stages of his life. Young Wyatt is not the same character as middle-aged Wyatt.

The one constant is the distinctive sound of his voice, but that doesn't mean that he only does one character. How is his character in Tin Cup in any way like his character in A Perfect World? Frank Farmer and Jake (Silverado) are also quite different.

12. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I remember reading that they had a really hard time putting the whole movie onto one VHS tape for rental, it was the longest movie anyone tried putting out that way and they needed to develop thinner videotape to get it all to fit. Nowdays nobody balks at multiple DVDs, but back then who wanted to get up to change the tape in the middle of the move?
    My mother-in-law is OBSESSED with DWW, she's worn out several copies of it and actually made a trip out west to see where they made it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.