Better blues?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by justreleased09, Jun 5, 2013.

1. bek

bek Tele-Holic

Peter Green's is a wonderful example of dynamics in action. I don't remember seeing Albert Collins mentioned, but he would often 'sing' his solos (sometimes you can hear him in the background), and he had his own approach to dynamics. Albert King certainly had no fear of holding notes!

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I really wasn't trying to be argumentative. And you are probably spot on with your analysis! :D

I will say that I am a believer in the total immersion approach to learning a language... including musical language. So, for me, listening to blues all the time helps internalize the tones, moves, the little nuances that most guys miss.

Rote repetition is definitely not the goal. I think we are both saying that... You may have just said it more clearly than I!

3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

4. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

Did Larry put you up to this? :D

There are different types of blues guitar - Are you are wanting to play accompaniment or rhythm or blend both? You of course need to be able to do all these, but context of licks and shuffles is vital. The earlier guys can teach you the first two, guys like Clapton (particularly on the 1966 Bluesbreakers album) created a style of 'whole song' blues guitar as opposed to just being rhythm or lead, SRV also did this!

All the answers here are great, I'm making some headway with the blues thanks to the help from alot of these guys here!

I just got two things to add:

1. Record yourself, listen to WHERE and HOW you can improve.

2. Slow the old records down (lots of software available for this), this helps me to not only ensure accuracy, but also to get 'inside' the lick or phrase and really nail every nuance of it.

Keep on pickin' buddy, you'll get there!

J

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I really didn't think you were being argumentative at all. Yes I did! No I didn't! Sorry I seem to be having a disagreement with myself.

I agree with you on the total immersion approach as well. When you really want to learn something to the point that it's intuitive, breathing, sleeping and eating 'it' is the way to go.

I just got focused on the 'authenticity' aspect of it for some reason and for whatever reason it evoked that particular response from me for better or worse.:D

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Kudos to you for having the courage to say this. The standard response of "listen to and copy the masters" is valuable as it develops vocabulary, but lots of fancy words don't mean nuthin' unless you can say something... Understanding that music is an emotional language gets right to the heart of it. :cool:

Lots of other great contributions here as well, especially Screamin' Eagle. Thank you. This is a thread I will come back to and learn from.

EDIT:

Ronnie Earl

7. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

I've tried a lot of the standard 100 Blues Licks types of books, and they are OK, esp. if they have a recording to reference. But I think the "learn from the essential recordings" approach is what really gives you the appreciation and understanding of the expression in the blues guitar playing. BB King's Sweet Little Angel worked for me, but listen to players like that and pick your own favorite.

8. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

lots of good advice here and I really can't add much.
    The only thing I'll say is the Blues is very honest music, you can't lie with it.
    If your playing is sterile, that's because it is. You gotta play it from the heart, but you also have to learn the technique of the masters to be able to express yourself fully.

To what degree and stylings you perferr to play from the heart with, is your own.
    But vibrato is everything and really what sells the blues you deliver.
    If you have a weak, uneven vibrato that isn't very dramatic or lack musicality, you will never be a good blues player until that is fixed. Blues is a pretty physical "all in" type of music.
    You can't approach the blues with timidity or fear, you have to consume it and let it consume you. The blues is after all, about expressing emotion.

9. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I just want to testify that, for OP or anyone out there trying to be better blues or blues based guitar players, doing everything what all these posts from these esteemed posters has mentioned will get you there.

10. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

This is a pretty good video. Not exactly sure if i would call it a lesson per say.

11. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

Started yesterday with Mississippi John Hurt, I'm now going to work my way through all these guys! I love the 3 Kings, Collins and Clapton - real cool to get into what they listened to!

I'm actually going to invest in a cheap(ish) acoustic to pluck out a few of those fingerpicking delta blues tunes - I've found that my fingerpicking is better than I thought! Maybe because I 'feel' this stuff more so than I do the other fingerpicking styles, who knows? It's contributing to giving me another avenue to explore than straight up flatpicking blues and blues/rock.

This thread is something else, a real gold mine of information! Thank you so very much to all those that have contributed thus far!

12. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that video. Never heard of Eric Bibb till 3 years ago. I got some tickets to go see his "Godfather" as I was a fan of him. Turned out Eric was the opening act. My wife and I were blown away and thought he put on a much better show, what a fantastic entertainer and musician. Most of his stuff is spiritual but he can play anything.
    Became a big fan and bought CD's at the show.

I found playing and learning as much blues (from the original masters) on the acoustic then taking it to the electric has helped much of my blues playing.

13. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

I saw Eric solo a few years back.

Pretty much the benchmark for what I want to do with music... not strictly stylistically - but in terms of what and how he communicates to an audience.

14. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

This is an encyclopedic review of jump with some bop thrown in for good measure.

15. sleezzee top

sleezzee top Tele-Meister

I remember when I was 15 years old and some girl I was real keen on dumped me lol some old blues player I knew said "thats great, just remember how you feel right now when you take a solo!" really cheesy I know but I think blues is something that comes from inside you and although it is important to listen to others ti get the bare bones "tools" of the licks, blues is something that has to be personal and come from you. Cheesy Gary Moore facial expressions are also a must lol.

16. bennyfreedom

bennyfreedom TDPRI Member

2 words... Hubert. Sumlin.

17. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe TDPRI Member

you guys made me learn about blues greats I've never heard before!
    +1 for Hubert Sumlin (and many +1s for other masters)
    here's a song with one of his great solos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZIzF2uC9MM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.