1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best Wood For pedal board (and case) build?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Muzik4Machines, May 9, 2016.

1. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines TDPRI Member

I'm at the stage of buying the wood for the build, and i was wondering what are you guys using?

i was planning on 3/8 or 1/2 russian birch plywood which is what my brother suggested, but i'm really open to every idea

the board is 36x18x8 (with a second tier) and will either have a separate case(worst case) or be the bottom of a case (best case, but way more complicated to build especially waterproofing the patchbay part)

i thought about building it in aluminium, but i think it will be harder and more expensive, especially at 36 inches wide, i would need lots of support trusses and cross beam, making it way heavier

here's the previous design (so forget the front mismatched angles, i'll go full height till the front)

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Llvf

and here's exactly how the pedals will go on it (the isolated power will be under the shelf, as will be the talkbox amp (caliber 22) and mic preamp)

http://imgur.com/gallery/8g0kZ

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's a pretty big board. I'd be going with something as light as possible. I think pine would be my choice for a board that size. With the birch ply, it's going to be heavy. Anything thin enough to make the board a manageable weight is going to have too much flex to it I think.

Muzik4Machines likes this.
  4. Muzik4Machines

what thickness would you go for in pine? 1/2 inch? 3/4?

5. jondanger

I have always built with 3/4, but I think 1/2 would support with reinforcement every 12".

Muzik4Machines likes this.
  6. Joey Mayes

Joey Mayes TDPRI Member

I would go with 1/2" birch.

7. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Man, that's going to be BIG and HEAVY!!!

8. Muzik4Machines

i Know, but it's a studio board, not a lot of moving around, but i still need to have them on a board, too much messy to leave them out

9. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Not the worst tonal choices for a large board but I would never use less than Norwegian Spruce for max clarity and sustain.

Bruxist, fuffydingo and RetroTeleRod like this.
  10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...the downside there is that musicians visiting the studio will tend to set it on fire, just to prove "isn't it good?"

Bruxist and xafinity like this.
  11. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Could you break it up lengthwise into a couple of connecting modules?

That will be fairly heavy when empty, I would guess, and silly heavy loaded with pedals.

12. jondanger

If it's a studio board I would do 3/4" pine I think. Easy to work with and cheap. Something you don't have to compromise on with a studio board is sturdiness of the deck. I hate stepping on something that flexes under my foot.

What are you doing to attach pedals to the board? Lots of times hook side Velcro will stick to indoor/outdoor carpet. You can get stuff that's not totally ugly for cheap at the big box hardware stores.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I'm striking out finding it, but there was a home made board were some guy used wood for ends and a center support, then he used aluminum T channel for the slats.

[​IMG]

Did a dado cut along top so T slats sat flush with wood on top, then a plunge with a router where descender of T went. Think he used just pine 2x4 or 6 scraps for ends and supports and stained them mahogany. Aluminum T were glued into their slots.

Looked really sharp with the aluminum. Top tier sat higher above what looked like 1/2 pine for lower rear tier, part of wood frame, that's where power supply and pedals on a switcher went.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.