Best wood for a strat body - ash or alder?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cowie86, Nov 13, 2009.

1. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I heard the grape ones are as well.. But orange ones are the best for tone. How long did it take to eat that many popsicles?

2. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Ricky,
    If you at that many popsicles in a sitting you'd end up in a diabetic coma. It's easier and cheaper to dumpster dive for used tongue depressors at the hospital......
    Rob

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Mahogany is actually great for Strats and Tele's IMO. I have more Mahogany Fender style guitars than Ash/Alder combined.

Ohh and one of my lightest guitars is solid mahogany. 6.5Lbs, a good portion of that is the heavy bridge and full sized humbuckers.

4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Paulwonia .steel trem block .Soak in urine for 6 months ,dry ,then creosote .It dont look so good but sure wont ever get bug rot and no one will ever steal it .

Gibson and Barncaster like this.
  5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I love to toss this out there when folks start talking about what woods or guitar types sound like. You wanna great SRV sound? You hafta use a strat with blah blah blah...

DrASATele likes this.
  6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Well don't that paint an interesting pic?

musicalmartin and Barncaster like this.
  7. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

So true, you just have to know how to play like him (or her)! (insert fav guitar player you want to sound like)

RogerC likes this.
  8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Sure, hide an EQ pedal out of frame, you can get almost any sound from any guitar, if you're a good player. ;)

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Or know how to wind a PAF style humbucker that sounds itself like a Strat neck pup through a Tube Screamer.

RogerC likes this.
  10. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Ron knows I'm crazy because a certain thinline tele sunburst I fell in love with tonewise has swamp ash, so when we did the build sheet for the tele, I told him to make it swamp ash and candy apple red. Well then Ron had to explain to me that a solid nitro finish over swamp ash will show the grain underneath as the nitro thins over time and, well, look like crap. So now I had to choose between the color I want, or the wood I want. And lord I know I can't hear the difference but if there's another important thing I've learned from Ron it is that if you think you want a certain something in your guitar, like swamp ash, and you settle for something else, it will always bug you. Besides all that, the first thinlines were swamp ash and actually "thinlined" to reduce weight of the heavier swamp ash fender had at the time, my fav strat he made is swamp ash, and well, there's that thinline guitar with the killer tone that is swamp ash. So hell, swamp ash it will be, and in vintage white. BTW that tone monster guitar I fell in love with is some wildwood special that cost twice what Ron charges.

11. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Alder is more of a tone neutral wood....generic, and swamp ash, depending on weight, can have a slightly brighter tone and guitars made from it often have a sharper attack.

12. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

When you select swamp ash and go with a thin nitro finish, the finish doesn't thin out so much as sink into the grain. Not a crap look per se, because that is what old nitro finished do.

13. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Yep that is what he said, I just did a bad job describing it.

14. allen6969xoxo

allen6969xoxo NEW MEMBER!

There are 3 to 5piece bodies.The 3piece is known to hold a tone.When there is 5 pcs.there is also the glue holding each piece in place. I would think that would hamper tone resination.

15. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

that is a common misconception... that more pieces automatically result in inferior sound.. it does not, it cannot. It can only result in a changed tone.. its entirely possible for that sound to become a preferred one over that emanating from a guitar built with a one piece body.

Nothing "sucks" tone... however everything can alter it...

the real truth is most that think some tone has been sucked.. are experiencing nothing more complex than reduced volume..

rk

Gibson likes this.
  16. ES330

ES330 TDPRI Member

Long thread, so not sure if this is repeating:
    Naturals & see thru use ash for the more interesting grain.
    Solids use more alder as the grain isn't very interesting.

Played many teles and each piece of wood is unique and both woods can sound very good...

17. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

I totaly disagree with the gentleman who said they "sound about the same" mabe in his case but ive participated in assembling countless strats & teles & alder sounds totaly different than swamp (lite) ash!. Alder is darker sounding with less definition, not as much sustain, & over-all, a much less clear voice than swamp ash,( NOT HARD HEAVEY ASH), !!

18. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

Go to minute 3:45 and then you can continue arguing... Lol ;)

19. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

For a painted body, I think poplar is underrated. Better than going with softwoods like basswood. I'm looking at a new future rebuild on my son's custom strat that we used a new basswood core body he got through some trades. Fell to the floor and crunched the lower half when the long Loxx straplock screw lost it's grip on the weak wood. Last time I use a body I don't make myself (except for restorations, of course!)

I_build_my_own likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.