Best Wiring Diagram for Standard "Modern" Wiring

Vanzant

Tele-Afflicted
Hey there everyone, I was wondering if you could recommend a good wiring diagram for standard wiring. There are so many, and some have minor differences. For example: one has the .001 cap on the vol pot, and some don't use that at all. Also, it has the .5 cap running from the tone pot to the vol pot, and grounded on top of the vol pot, and Seymour Duncan has it connected to the ton pot and ground only. Any suggestions?

This one?
Wiring3-way.gif

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
Phostenix. He has a bunch of great diagrams. The small cap on the volume control is optional, and it's designed to add high frequencies as you roll down the volume. Google 'treble bleed' for more info. Personally, I wouldn't use it. The 'Fezz parka mod' is another option for adding highs.

As for the main tone cap, it doesn't matter if you ground it on the back of the tone pot or the back of the volume pot. The value is also up to you to decide. .05 - .022uF are the norm, the latter being the modern choice and the former the vintage correct choice.

Vanzant

Tele-Afflicted
Phostenix. He has a bunch of great diagrams. The small cap on the volume control is optional, and it's designed to add high frequencies as you roll down the volume. Google 'treble bleed' for more info. Personally, I wouldn't use it. The 'Fezz parka mod' is another option for adding highs.

As for the main tone cap, it doesn't matter if you ground it on the back of the tone pot or the back of the volume pot. The value is also up to you to decide. .05 - .022uF are the norm, the latter being the modern choice and the former the vintage correct choice.

Awesome! Thanks!

This looks like the one.

TeleTemplate.jpg

So thre is no need to add the small cap? What does it do?

waparker4

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hey there everyone, I was wondering if you could recommend a good wiring diagram for standard wiring. There are so many, and some have minor differences. For example: one has the .001 cap on the vol pot, and some don't use that at all. Also, it has the .5 cap running from the tone pot to the vol pot, and grounded on top of the vol pot, and Seymour Duncan has it connected to the ton pot and ground only. Any suggestions?

This one?
View attachment 198973

Functionally equivalent...

The switch though wired differently works the same.

The placement of the tone cap though different works the same.

The treble bleed capacitor is the only optional thing that actually makes a difference. In fact the only difference on any "standard telecaster wiring" diagram I've seen has been the treble bleed, IIRC.

The Phostenix diagram looks good. Accurate and very easy to see.

Vanzant

Tele-Afflicted
Functionally equivalent...

The switch though wired differently works the same.

The placement of the tone cap though different works the same.

The treble bleed capacitor is the only optional thing that actually makes a difference. In fact the only difference on any "standard telecaster wiring" diagram I've seen has been the treble bleed, IIRC.

The Phostenix diagram looks good. Accurate and very easy to see.

What do you think about the Treble Bleed cap? Ditch it? or, Use it?

waparker4

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
What do you think about the Treble Bleed cap? Ditch it? or, Use it?

I actually have had perfectly good success with the so-called fezz parka mod or 50s wiring mod. So I haven't really tried a treble bleed setup.

From what I understand, installing a treble bleed properly will require an afternoon of test driving a variety of small caps and large resistors. Series and or parallel. Leads w/ alligator clips hanging out of your guitar. To get best results. I don't think it is the type of mod that you can get away with not experimenting multiple values/combinations.

That all is to say, if you even have the problem that spurs on these type modifications -- volume pot muddying up the sound.

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
One note on the phostenix diagram: he shows a wire connecting the back of the two pots. If you have a metal control plate (a normal telecaster) you don't need that wire; the pots are grounded through the plate.
Treble bleed: on a normal passive guitar circuit, as you turn the volume from 10 to 9, the sound gets darker. Either you live with this and make it work for you, or you use some kind of treble mod.
The treble bleed lets highs back into the signal and as you roll back the volume the sound stays bright and doesn't get muffled. The downside is that it gets ever brighter as you turn down. Some people have found better combinations of caps and resistors. You'll have to experiment. 50's wiring has a similar effect, but it makes the controls work in a different way.
Personally, I like 50s wiring to keep a Les Paul bright, but like normal wiring to tame a tele when I turn down.