Best way to remove headstock lettering

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tonebro, Sep 3, 2014.

1. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

I'm sure it'll come off if sanded. Just wondering if there's an easier, quicker way? I'd like to put a custom decal on because by the time I'm done with my mods/upgrades, there won't be much "Squier" left! Thanks, brothers! Any input appreciated as always.

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

you could paint the headstock the same colour as the body if you can't be arsed sanding it

3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

if there's no clear coat on the headstock, gently hitting it with some steel wool will usually do the trick without scuffing up the rest of the wood too bad. there's usually going to be an outline of the decal though... where the surrounding wood has gotten darker than what was hidden under the logo.

got any pictures of your custom?

4. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I used 000 steel wool on the two Squier 51's I modded. Worked like a champ. Super easy and quick.

5. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Thanks, brothers. Steel wool it is! I'll post pics when she's done.

6. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is it a black Squier logo? If so it may just be printed. Use some Naptha and fine steel wool. Or just steel wool may do it. I actually used a small amount of nail polish remover with no problem in a Squier '51, but have read it can harm poly in large doses.

7. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Nail polish remover...

Be very careful with "nail polish remover"- Traditionally composed almost entirely of acetone, it is now usually the milder, environmentally/healthwise "safer" ethyl acetate (an ester compound)

Acetone could have disastrous effects on most finishes- it is a very aggressive organic solvent, and will cut through a lot of stuff (…like, nail polish…which has lacquers like vintage guitar finishes…) The ethyl acetate formulation still cuts through a lot of coatings and varnishes, but will not be as aggressive as the acetone.

I would try to stay away from the solvents, and see if light mechanical rubbing with a fine steel wool, or even a soft brass bristle (like a toothbrush) might do it- You may be able to get the lettering off while maintaining most of the underlying finish.

Don't worry- I am a professional- I am a chemist who worked in polymer R&D before…everything I worked with had the consistency of honey or peanut butter, and none of it was water-soluble- I know my solvents:idea:

8. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Yeah, it has the black/gold Squier lettering and black lettering on the Telecaster portion of it. Appears to be "printed" or silk screened? on. Anyway, I'll do the back of it first using only triple ought wool. 68 T-bass, interesting info as I used to work in R&D also making pre-preg laminates for circuit boards. There will be NO solvents used on this project. Thanks again, brothers!

9. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I think you will find that the logo is deep beneath the finish, almost to the wood. You may regret doing it.

10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The polish remover I used lists acetone and water as the first ingredients, then propylene carbonate and some dimethyls etc. Again, it did no harm to my Squier '51 neck poly BUT I did amend my original post because you're right, it or other formulas may well harm some finishes. I used it sparingly just to slightly wet the steel wool, then cleaned the HS with water right after the screen print logo was removed. Put the new decal on, let it dry overnight, then gave the entire front-only of the HS it a few very light mist coats of Deft satin nitro.

11. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Well, the Fralins are here; a Mini Humbucker for the neck and a Stock Tele, 2% overwound, for the bridge. Just waiting on Tony Dudzik to finish and ship my 'guard from Pickguardian. Also, the decals I got from Trey are sweet. And, the 000 steel wool worked like a charm, yes indeed. Pics will be forthcoming when the 'guard gets here next week. Thank you, brothers all, for y'alls input and your interest in my project!

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

NOT like this.

[​IMG]

13. tonebro

tonebro Tele-Meister

Decal

Like this. With one old string tree hole as a faux "bird's eye" in the maple. An attempt, anyway.

Attached Files:

14. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday Tele-Meister

I don't know whether this is still alive but once I figured that the lettering was above the finish I went at it with acetone and it neatly removed the writing and didn't affect the poly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.