Best way to keep strings clean and maintain longevity

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AJ Ray, Mar 31, 2020.

1. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

I recently read that someone used wd 40 on a cloth to wipe strings everytime they had finished playing. Just wondering what folks would recommend

Chipss36 likes this.
  2. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

I give the strings a wipe with a dry cloth, top and bottom.
    I then give them a quick run over with fast fret, but a cloth with a little wd40 probably does the same thing.

3. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Meister

1]Pure Alcohol[Methylated spirits] It EVAPORATES and removes ''grease!' without leaving any ''residue'' behind![2]Isopropanol is similar.[3]PETROL also can be used.All/any of the 3 can be used to 'periodically' clean the fret board too.

4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I use this.

upload_2020-3-31_5-28-22.jpeg

Greggorios likes this.
  5. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

GHS Fast Fret.

When it dries out, dip it in mineral oil.

6. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

I just change the strings, usually before they get grungy/lose brightness/stop holding their tuning, but not always.

7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Flatwounds! ;)

brookdalebill, cloink50 and tubegeek like this.
  8. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I normally use Surgical Spirit or Rubbing Alcohol as it's also known but the wife nicked it to make some diy hand sanitiser.

tubegeek likes this.
  9. julmust

julmust TDPRI Member

Wash your hands before playing. And yeah, wipe strings after each session.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Little anecdote:

I change strings pretty often ( well, till recently) probably too often, for string cleaning to be much of an issue ( just a quick damp cloth>dry cloth wipe down on guitar/neck/ strings)

BUT, about a year ago I thought I would try a new set of strings, John Pearse Pure Nickel ( I'm a frequent user of other Pearse acoustic strings) from my fave supplier and this set happened to come with a Pearse-branded string cleaner in a foil ' Wet Nap' style packet.
    Little damp 'cloth paper' and on back of wrapped it stated the cleaning liquid was DeOxit! The electrical contact cleaner.

So now, once in a while since I have a can of DeOxit, I will spray just a little on a clean rag and wipe each string one at a time- NOT making contact with fretboard wood, and any corrosion comes right off.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Be careful with some of these. They don't all play nicely with all finishes.

12. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Phosphor bronze acoustics don't last as long as nickels on my electrics. It's not even close. I wish they could come out with something comparable for acoustic strings.

13. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Everclear grain alcohol a good option - the liquor stores near me are OPEN and have been stocking it. 190-proof (95%) Ethyl alcohol, pretty strong stuff. Don't drink it!

It is my understanding that there are some folks whose sweat has more, and some whose has less, of a corrosive impact on their guitars. So this is VERY much a YMMV topic.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As with many things, the first and easiest line of defense is to wash your hands. In this case, before you play. When you're done, give the strings, fretboard and bridge a quick wipe with a dry cloth. This along with Cleartone strings keeps strings lasting nigh on forever, even when played by my corrosive self.

Greggorios and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I play my ASAT at home and out... I just somehow don’t break strings (I do bends and hammer-ons and what-not, light touch?)
    Anyway, maybe in a number of months (when I have time and think about it) I clean my strings with Brasso. May not be for everyone or all instruments?
    Sounds new(ish) after.

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just change them when they die.
    This happens usually after 6-12 hours of actual playing (depending on the conditions, if you gig all strings are shot after a two hour gig anyway) no matter how you "clean" them since their "mechanical" qualities (intonation ,sustain etc) are gone especially in the WOUND strings.

If you want the ultimate TWANG and sound fresh strings are the only way to go.

17. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I always used a healthy dollop of Jack Daniels on a soft cloth, cut from a used T-shirt. I always kept a hip flask in my case, and it came in mighty handy on more than one occasion. I can't remember for sure where I got this idea, but I think it was something that Stanley Clarke suggested. The strings make a really crazy squeaky sound when you rub them down.

hemingway likes this.
  18. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I squirt some of the Dunlop 65 cleaner on a polishing cloth and wipe them down. I've found that to be great stuff. It doesn't build up and leaves no residue. Just clean.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

+1 ...this is what I do. Simple and it works. I wipe with a dry cotton cloth.

darkwaters and Greggorios like this.
  20. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

When I was a kid my guitar teacher told me to use a bandana to wipe down the strings after playing to make them last longer. The modern version of this is a microfiber cloth and it works way better. Microfiber seems to be pretty magical at removing finger oils without using anything as gross as WD-40 and it makes the strings last at least five times longer. They still eventually lose some of their sparkle and stretch but they literally never get corroded, I've had strings on a guitar that I played regularly for about two years and while they definitely didn't sound as good as when they were new they still felt smooth and looked bright.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.