Best way to get Febreze stank out of...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

My grandfather was in the 82nd Airborne in WW2, got his leg blown off in Germany. He had his old M1 hanging on the wall for years, not sure what ever happened to it.

2. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Try wrapping in newspaper and sticking it in a bag for a few days.

LutherBurger and RoscoeElegante like this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

My stepdad carried one, in Patton's 3rd Army. He was a born pain in the ass, so they made him a sergeant very quickly! Took a bullet in the heel near Bastogne. Back in action in time to end the war while they were in Czechoslovakia. Told me a little about it only once. Most of it I pieced together overhearing his nightmares. The rest of our family was Army Air Corps or Navy. My appreciation to your grandad's sacrifice. (And I'm also glad that this weapon was on our side.)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    RodeoTex and Stanford Guitar like this.
  4. RoscoeElegante

Wait--do you mean myself, or the rifle? Is this Zippy the Bookie, from Hackensack? How'dja find me? I'll have your scratch soon, I promise! Don't make me bag myself, again!

I assume that this soaks up the smell?

5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Get some Tom’s 1/3 Mix and wax the stock according to the directions. I use it on my SKS’s and it does them very well.

http://thegunstockdoctor.com/

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  6. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Newspaper will absorb odor and oils. Could also throw some charcoal in for good measure.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

The newspaper/black plastic bag/dashboard in the hot sun thing is for removing Cosmoline. I don’t think it’ll fix your issue.

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

I feel your pain. The smell of Febreze make me want to hurl my breakfast. It is nasty.

I rode the DC Metro for years, and many people seem to believe Febeze is the same as dry cleaning.

It's not.

Regularly get on a train car in the morning with the smell of Febreze, booze breath, BO, cigarette breath, and other stank, and after a while that all combines into a funk that gets burned into the sinuses. It's eye watering.

I do not miss it.

9. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

I know how you feel, I bought these scented trashbags once and they made me sick, just a slight whiff of that smell makes me queasy.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Mmmmm, febreze is nasty stuff, no clue whay any human would want to smell like freeway toilet deodorizer.

I'd scuff the wood with a 3m pad and hit it with tru oil, then do a basic clean and oil on the metal parts.

11. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Coffee grounds

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Luckys are what I smoked before I quit about 10 years ago. They are indeed not common, kinda pricey, and smell and taste different. But..... I dont think they're easy to get on this continent; made in Malaysia for British American Tobacco group, i could only find the unfiltered kind here. Even then, not easily.

I have no idea how to get Febreze out of wood, but creating a wind tunnel if fans helped get it out of my wifes van upholstery. May help speed it up?

13. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

...Are you sure it’s actually Febreze? Many gun oils (like Hoppes #9) are scented. Some are downright intolerably strong. If you haven’t already, give it a good cleaning and re oil with something unscented and see how it works out for you.

If this rifle has any value, I would not strip the stock if it were mine.

14. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I relace and repair baseball gloves. For both the smell of smoke or mildew, a couple wipe downs with 50/50 water/vinegar solution works wonders (followed up by leather cleaner). I gotta believe if leather can put up with it than the wood stock on a rifle can too. Of course, someone here might say that's the worst thing you can do!

15. RoscoeElegante

Man, I got a ton of those! Especially this time of year. I've got 80 final exams and the 140 students' course grades to calculate and enter tomorrow. I'm up in double-digit cups per day. And the involuntary eyelid fidgets.

I complain, but I know that I'm daaaamn lucky to have a decent job and health insurance through all this, too.....

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

"Well, I need to get the funk out of something caused by something made for getting the funk out of stuff."
    Not one I see everyday...
    I'd say let it sit in the sun for a bit. If it's really bad, rub some hydrogen peroxide over the offending area, but check a small patch first to make sure it doesn't bleach. Rub it off thoroughly with a damp rag after treatment and let it dry.

17. RoscoeElegante

Yeah, I'm sure. That wretched reek is burned in my brain. At the gun shop here that handled the transfer, that's what they thought of, too. We use Hoppes #9 on our shotgun and .22, and it's nothing like this. But thanks for suggesting it.

My kids think that my smell sensitivities are funny. "Can we get you some hip-hop cologne for your birthday, Dad?" The rats! But I can chase 'em out of the house with some cooking cabbage in minutes.

I'll start simple, cheap, and careful on a small section with diluted white vinegar this weekend and go from there. I'll get it outside, too, once the dampness passes.

Thanks again, everyone. This will be something that my sons will pass on to their own kids one day.

18. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Hoppe's #9

RoscoeElegante and Oldsmobum like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.