1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Best virtual drums.

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by gobi_grey, Jan 2, 2021.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I dont really want a bunch of pre made patterns. I'd rather be able to program beat for beat exactly what I want but obviously the software comes with plenty of premade patterns too which might come in handy too.
    I dont think I need a drum pad to whack at.

I'm just wondering if it would be easier and slightly more moral to just buy a real kit and "fix" my mistakes in the DAW.

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

And, I know you don’t want them, but the midi files are on sale all the time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

SSD 5 for me. I have Studio Drummer and some of the Abbey Roads drum packages, and they sound great, but I don’t love the Native Instruments work flow. The new drum samples in IK Sample Tank 4 are also really good, but a little awkward to work with if you don’t want to mix them down in Sample Tank, itself. SSD has lots of great kits with lots of configuration options and it’s really easy to use a d integrate into your DAW.

4. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

I just want to mention Battery 4 by Native Instruments, I don't think it fits your needs as it isn't as simple as EZDrummer, but it's one of the best, if not the best, in sound quality (of the 5 or 6 plugins I've used).

If you're curious about Native Instruments you can try their free starter pack "Komplete Start"
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-start/

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't record drums, but collaborate with my old college roommate/drummer online. He's using Superior Drummer with a bunch of add-on drum packs. The sounds he's getting are pretty amazing, he sends me a stereo .wav file that needs no additional processing. He triggers them off an electronic drum kit, then tweaks the instrument sounds to taste. I'm impressed with how well this rig translates the subtleties of his playing into realistic sounds.

It's a far cry from poking simple drum tracks in through a MIDI keyboard to EZ Drummer, but the sounds are incredible.

6. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Given what you’ve said I’d lean towards Studio Drummer. I have Maschine Mikro which uses some of the Komplete library including certain Studio Drums sets. It will do what you need and sounds great. You also have the ability to edit your renditions to a fine degree since it behaves like a drum machine controlled by software on your laptop.

You could also use as a VST/AU for your preferred DAW which is how I use it with Reason and Logic.

Depending on preference you can trigger from anything - keyboard, pads, v-drums etc. Even the qwerty keyboard in an absolute emergency. If you’re feeling flush NI also produce keyboards designed to interface with their software which makes rifling through patches and editing kits much easier, try Kontrol S49.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.